What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting the wing spar bolt in the corner

jay.pearlman

Well Known Member
Arghh
I am building an RV6A and mounting the spar bolts in the fuselage. The landing gear weldment fills the corner of the lower left and right sides and requires two AN 4 bolts each. The bolts do not go in even with a tap on the bolt hole fo the hole in the corner of the weldment. Anyone with experience on how to deal with this?

Take a mirror and look to see where the interference is. On mine I had to apply some sideways pressure to the bracket with my hand to get it to line up properly and the bolts just slid in.

Did you remove the powder coat from inside the holes in the weldment? Also, check carefully for anything interfering with the fit. I had to grind away a small amount from a corner of the weldment that was interfering with a rivet.

Chris

Did you remove the powder coat from inside the holes in the weldment? Also, check carefully for anything interfering with the fit. I had to grind away a small amount from a corner of the weldment that was interfering with a rivet.

Chris

On the RV-6, non of that stuff in the weldmemt is pre drilled, so no powdercoat in the holes.

It is probably a minor alignment issue, a drift or taper pin in the other hole should let you tweak it into alignment. Since you match-drilled the gear to the spar, it should still line up.

Back