What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another spinner question.......

Tbone

Well Known Member
Fitting my spinner (C/S) and after I trim my cutouts the spinner will fit a small amount aft of the bulkhead. Do I let this small amount run wild or trim it flush? Also how do I make sure that the spinner is centered with no wobble? Thanks again....:)

Hi Terry-

Here is what I did for my Vans supplied spinner and Hartzell prop. Pretty much followed the plan's instructions. Not sure what page they are on, but my 8 plans were fairly descriptive on how to get the spinner to fit centered.

I'll paraphrase:

-After making the prop blade cutouts (I used template provided by Hartzell) and installing front spinner bulkhead, I put the spinner on to where it looked centered.
- Marked the very tip of spinner with pen/marker at dead center. Hard to get perfect as it's difficult to find exact center point on spinner.
- Used a special device to hold a pencil right in front of the dot I made on the spinner. I used a step on a ladder and taped the pencil to it.
- Turned the prop and see if the dot marked on the spinner wobbled when rotating. If so, adjust spinner until it doesn't wobble, or at least get it pretty darn close. I believe the plans call out a measurement that is acceptable.
- Clamp it down when satisfied and drill bulkhead screw holes.

Regarding the overlap past rear back plate, I chose to sand down flush with spinner back plate. Key is that it's symmetric all the way around to minimize imbalance.

Good luck!

Fitting my spinner (C/S) and after I trim my cutouts the spinner will fit a small amount aft of the bulkhead. Do I let this small amount run wild or trim it flush? Also how do I make sure that the spinner is centered with no wobble? Thanks again....:)

Don't know about trimming a C/S but my FP fit flush on the aft bulkhead. As far as wobble, take the top plugs out of your engine. Put a ladder (or something stable) near the prop and position a pointer near the tip of the spinner. Spin the prop gently by hand to determine if you have any wobble. Hopefully you haven't drilled holes in the fire and aft bulkheads yet so you can make an adjustment. At least that's how I did it. Same for determining if the prop tips were tracking within 1/16".

Looks like Charlie types faster than me but same advice. :D

Last edited:
Constant speed spinner installation

Does anyone have a copy of the constant speed spinner installation manual from Vans that comes with the constant speed spinner? I am planning to do the installation tomorrow if possible.

Etc, etc...

4qljid.jpg

On a constant speed prop, the spinner is pretty much self aligning because of the large distance between the two bulkheads... there is not much adjustment ability available.
A fixed pitch installation is where you have to check more carefully. The two bulkheads are close enough together that tilting the spinner a small amount on the bulkheads translates to a lot more displacement at the nose.

I like mounting a sharpie pen on a step ladder with it just touching the spinner near the centre. With the plugs out turn the engine over with the starter. I find it easier than trying to not move the engine while pulling the prop thru. It the pen draws a circle you are good to go, if an oval the spinner needs adjusting.

Back