What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring harness options?

gfb

Well Known Member
Seems like there are a few options for wiring harnesses:

Vans $405
Stein (including tools) $760
VP-X (Sport or Pro) $390/440

I am doing a VP-X setup in an RV-9A with G3Xt's and other gizmos. Any thoughts on which harness to go with? Or if it's worth just ordering spools of wire and going at it myself? I don't mind crimping, cutting, etc, but if this keeps me from spending a day learning about all the different kinds of wire I need to buy, it's probably worth some extra $.

Thoughts?

harness

I don't think they are all apples for apples and I suspect Stein's is more complete. Also terrific support with Stein. I have two Stein harnesses and would pay the extra again.

Is that the price of actual harnesses, or just a wiring kit?

Van's harness kit leaves a lot to be desired. I would stay away from that unless you have absolutely no clue where to start and are intent on doing it yourself.

Stein's kit is a good overall kit, but I think that's just raw components, not any harnesses, somewhat unlike Vans'.

The VP-X harness is not a bad starting point for the electrical power system, although I prefer to do that myself. Of course, I have wired many planes and I admit that the first VP I installed, I bought the wiring harness kit.

None of the above will provide what you need to actually wire up the G3X, though. They are all just power system kits. Stein's will probably get you closest. For the harnesses for the panel, you can do it yourself, but your money would be well-spent having a professional shop do that for you. I would recommend Tim at Approach Fast Stack or Stein's shop, even if you want to build your own panel, which can be a very rewarding experience. The communication among avionics can be so finicky, that you could chase your tail seemingly unceasingly to find a problem from a misplaced ground, or a faulty crimp, or an ungrounded shield. I don't think that's worth it. I don't even do that much of those types of things. I call Tim for most of my harnessing needs.

GB - PM or email your contact info. I had Stein build my harness and I am glad I did. I have the VP-X system and the Garmin touch screens. There are a couple things I would suggest that can make your life easier!

You might consider Approach Fast-Stack. It's a hub based system. You buy a pre-made cable for each radio, efis, engine monitor, etc. Plug one end into the hub, the other goes to the device. Flying leads for power and ground. Very simple to do, very high quality, and allows easy upgrades in the future. Come with very well made wiring diagram and connectivity charts.

see

http://approachfaststack.com/

Bevan

Last edited:
Thanks folks. I'm thinking more along the lines of electrical, not signal harness. I'll be having Stein or similar do the actual G3X/com/nav/etc signal/power harnesses.

Mostly I want to figure out the longer wire runs now while the back and wings are still open. Servos, lights, trim, magnetometer, etc.

Thanks!

That is exactly what I am working on now. I am pulling my hair out figuring out the runs and how to connect wires in under the seats.

Thanks folks. I'm thinking more along the lines of electrical, not signal harness. I'll be having Stein or similar do the actual G3X/com/nav/etc signal/power harnesses.

Mostly I want to figure out the longer wire runs now while the back and wings are still open. Servos, lights, trim, magnetometer, etc.

Thanks!

aerotronics

I didn't see aerotronics of Montana on your list. They did my wiring (along with the panel). I measured the lengths that I needed and the wires/harness came back labeled and to size with a block diagram layout. Back up service (i.e. educating me) was excellent.

I've made a change and decided to use Advanced Flight Systems' quick panel and Advanced Control Module power box in my RV-8A project, so I won't need the VPX stuff I have on my shelf anymore.

I have an unused VPX Pro (box was mounted once and removed from not-yet-flying aircraft), and a brand new VPX Pro full wire harness kit that I am planning to sell once I get around to posting them here. So if anyone is not yet outfitted and wants to save a few bucks buying them for a little less than new, feel free to PM or email me.

As far as the VPX wire harness goes, it's very complete and can clearly save some wining/install time.

Realize you're sort of asking about a couple different things here. One is airframe wiring (things like lights, flaps, fuel pumps, trim, p-leads, FFW, etc..) and the Second is Avionics wiring or interconnects. Each has a completely separate and unique set of requirements and hardware (wire, connectors, tools, etc..). There isn't a perfect "kit" for any airframe build other than the RV-12 which comes pretty much with everything. As far as the Avionics, there are also a slew of options there from doing it yourself all the way to having it built for you (and lots of options in between). None are a perfect solution for each builder or person, because everyone's skill sets are different, their budgets are different, their timelines are different, their requirements are different, etc..

Most of the aforementioned offerings all have their place and work well for each person in their own situation.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Sorry to revive but I'm getting close to having my indecision stall progress :)

I'm buying the Stein avionics harness kit for the g3x, so avionics are decided.

I am on the fence about VP-X or not, it seems that no matter what I do, I don't have enough VP-X circuits available so I'll need some CBs. At which point, maybe I'll just save myself some money and go all CBs? Dunno, gotta think it out.

On that note, which of the many options would give me the right kinds of wire for airframe wiring? Flaps, lights, etc. Basically anything that goes from a breaker to something needing power (other than avionics.) I'm happy to cut/crimp myself, though would rather not have to source all the pins and wires individually. Thoughts?

Also, where are people running all those wires once they get forward of the spar carry-through? Together with the fuel and brake lines?

Go VP-X...

Stick with the VP-X. Maybe you are looking at the Sport and should consider the Pro model. Either way, there are ways to combine circuits, or maybe have one, or two power sources originate outside the VP-X system, but these could be non-critical items that might easily incorporate an in-line fuse that would be not cripple you while airborne…like seat heat, or even auto-pilot.

I had Steins build my Dynon harness, but I don't think I knew enough to tell them exactly what engine setup I was going to have, so I ended up with about a dozen extra wires in my wiring bundle from the Engine Monitoring System (EMS) connector that I plumbed to the engine compartment that I eventually learned I didn't need and would not use. So…be very specific, if you can, about what your total package will entail, if possible. That said, I suppose it better to have too many wires, than not enough, eh?

WARNING: still building, but the VP-X (once I figured it out,) simplified my wiring process, and helped me achieve my goal of having a "clean" panel.
I sure hope it works! :D

Last edited:
I didn't see aerotronics of Montana on your list. They did my wiring (along with the panel). I measured the lengths that I needed and the wires/harness came back labeled and to size with a block diagram layout. Back up service (i.e. educating me) was excellent.

I also used Aerotronics for my harnesses. I actually had them build the entire panel for me. They do really good work.

John

RV-12 wire harness Van,s/Steinair

I bought G3X dual sys from Van,s which has the wire harness supplied by Steinair. It is outstanding and is now being installed. Would be a good choice.

Back