What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil System Opinions

GrinchF16

Well Known Member
Installing a YIO-O360-A1B6 on a 7A. Couple oil questions:

One or two oil coolers? Why and how installed?

Oil cooler shutter?

90° oil filter adapter? What model?

Oil pre-heater? If yes, model?

Dehumidifier?

Thanks guys!

Installing a YIO-O360-A1B6 on a 7A. Couple oil questions:

One or two oil coolers? Why and how installed?

Oil cooler shutter?

90° oil filter adapter? What model?

Oil pre-heater? If yes, model?

Dehumidifier?

Thanks guys!
1 cooler, no, AEL22770 - B&C or equivalent, ASA No Hassle preheater, no.

Angle valve engines tend to need more oil cooler, but generous finning makes CHT control easier. Parallel valve engines typically don't have piston squirters, so oil temperature runs cooler, but less finning makes CHT more challenging.

Your A1B6 is an angle valve? You definitely don't need two coolers, just a single large one mounted on the firewall, or on the engine mount.

I'm easily cooling a 390 angle valve with an SW/Meggit 10611, roughly the same size and performance as an Airflow 2006X.

Angle valve engines tend to need more oil cooler, but generous finning makes CHT control easier. Parallel valve engines typically don't have piston squirters, so oil temperature runs cooler, but less finning makes CHT more challenging.

Your A1B6 is an angle valve? You definitely don't need two coolers, just a single large one mounted on the firewall, or on the engine mount.

I'm easily cooling a 390 angle valve with an SW/Meggit 10611, roughly the same size and performance as an Airflow 2006X.

Thanks Dan,
That makes sense, especially since Vans sends a small cooler with their firewall forward kit. ;)

I have an advantage in that a friend in the hangar is building a 14 and it looks to be a very similar setup so visualizing things is fairly easy. His mount has the oil cooler attachment points built in. My original engine had the cooler attached to the back of the engine. Thoughts on how I make that transition?

My previous engine also had a shutter which was useful in bringing up temps in winter. Is it your opinion that is unnecessary?

Thanks for the words, very helpful!

Oil cooler shutter

I have the stock vans setup with the oil cooler on the back of the engine (O-360 A1A ). I have had the shutter closed all winter long flying in CA. I would definitely add the shutter.

A tale of two IO-360-A1B6s

I've had two IO-360-A1B6 engines (200HP, angle valve) -- One built by Aerosport Power back-in-the-day (circa 2005), the other a stock Lycoming YIO variant purchased through Van's. Both engines were equipped with Lightspeed Plasma III (dual) ignitions at 20°.

The first engine ran cool as a cucumber -- Oil cooler was a SW 8406R fed by a 3" SCEET duct and butterfly valve. OT ran in the 180 - 190 range.

The second engine is a bit more warm hearted -- Started with the SW 8406R, and ended up with a SW 10599R fed by a 3" SCEET duct and no butterfly valve. OT's now run in the 185 - 195 range.

Echoing DanH and others comments -- you don't need (or frankly want) the complexity of two oil coolers. Mount a good one on the firewall, and feed it with 3" - 4" duct through a low loss airpath (remember, air doesn't like sharp edges, abrupt changes in direction...)

There *IS* a performance difference between oil cooler mfg.

Thanks Dan,
That makes sense, especially since Vans sends a small cooler with their firewall forward kit. ;)

Which is typically fine with a parallel valve, the engine for which the airplane was designed.

I have an advantage in that a friend in the hangar is building a 14 and it looks to be a very similar setup so visualizing things is fairly easy. His mount has the oil cooler attachment points built in. My original engine had the cooler attached to the back of the engine. Thoughts on how I make that transition?

See below. Mine is mounted on a plate which hangs on the motor mount, and is ducted to an exit bell. Quite a few builders mount to the firewall with a plenum box. You can buy the RV-10 plenum or build something, depending on what size cooler you want to use.

My previous engine also had a shutter which was useful in bringing up temps in winter. Is it your opinion that is unnecessary?

For an angle valve, generally not necessary. However, I live in the South, and often forget about the arctic regions found north of the Mason Dixon ;)

Attachments

• 10611 and Ductwork.jpg
    10611 and Ductwork.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20160110_115636570.jpg
    IMG_20160110_115636570.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 82
  • ScreenHunter_1778 May. 30 10.09.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1778 May. 30 10.09.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 69
Oil cooler shutter

I've found one advantage to having an oil cooler shutter that I never would have thought of.

In my installation, at least, with the cooler behind cylinders 2 & 4 of an O-320, if you close the shutter on climbout, you can get a meaningful reduction of CHTs on 2&4 in exchange for slightly higher (and still acceptable) oil temps.

Which is typically fine with a parallel valve, the engine for which the airplane was designed.

See below. Mine is mounted on a plate which hangs on the motor mount, and is ducted to an exit bell. Quite a few builders mount to the firewall with a plenum box. You can buy the RV-10 plenum or build something, depending on what size cooler you want to use.

For an angle valve, generally not necessary. However, I live in the South, and often forget about the arctic regions found north of the Mason Dixon ;)

There *IS* a performance difference between oil cooler mfg.

Just following up to my own post -- see attached pictures.

Can you guess which one cools better?

The SW/Meggitt/Troy/AS X/AC HE series all have much higher fin density than their "compatible" cohorts (NDM, AC, AS), which yields more surface area on the "air-side", making it far more efficient at removing heat. Also note the "solid" end tank construction, less opportunity for air leaks around the sides.

Left -- SW 8406R
Right -- Niagra/NDM 20002A

Just food for thought...

Attachments

• 8aec230ecdd10d661b56d206af9e84d7.jpg
    8aec230ecdd10d661b56d206af9e84d7.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Niagra 20002A 3.jpg
    Niagra 20002A 3.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 36
Back