Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Electrical Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2021, 04:25 PM

Default Are all these on firewalls? Ammeter Shunt, ANL current limited, alternator fuse.

I am just now at the beginning of FWF work and I'm installing the master and starter relays. I am still learning about electrical / avionics, and will also review more in the Aeroelectric Connection this weekend. My question is probably simple to most of you guys so any quick guidance is welcomed to shorten my learning curve.

Which of these will I need if I am using a B&C alternator 60amp with an external regulator, and the PC680 battery.

Ammeter Shunt, ANL current limited, alternator fuse.

I have seen pictures of firewalls, but don't see consistency when it comes to these parts being installed on firewalls. What other electrical components will I need to allow space for in FWF planning? Is there something else I am missing. Are some guys just installing these parts behind firewall?
Leather seats by Flightline Interiors.
Still to do: Firewall forward, cowling fit and paint, G3X avionics.
FLY
Old 01-19-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloFoxtrot View Post
I am just now at the beginning of FWF work and I'm installing the master and starter relays. I am still learning about electrical / avionics, and will also review more in the Aeroelectric Connection this weekend. My question is probably simple to most of you guys so any quick guidance is welcomed to shorten my learning curve.

Which of these will I need if I am using a B&C alternator 60amp with an external regulator, and the PC680 battery.

Ammeter Shunt, ANL current limited, alternator fuse.

I have seen pictures of firewalls, but don't see consistency when it comes to these parts being installed on firewalls. What other electrical components will I need to allow space for in FWF planning? Is there something else I am missing. Are some guys just installing these parts behind firewall?
Location depends on where everything else is.

I would try to have the ammeter shunt in the cockpit if at all possible. There will be TWO (2) wires running to the gauge to tell you current and I like to not have those two wires forward of the firewall.

The Alternator fuse / CB should be the field supply current limiter. I want that in the cockpit so I can take the alternator off line if something goes wrong.

The alternator ANL current limiter is typically on the engine side of the firewall. Again, if it is possible, I would put in in the cockpit to keep it away from the dirty mess that is typically forward of the firewall. IF it requires running the same circuit (wire) through the firewall an extra time, keep it on the dirty side of the firewall.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM

There is no practical need for an ammeter shunt in our modern panel airplanes. Bus voltage alone is a superb indicator of electrical system health. Ammeters are a leftover from when we did not have accurate/economical volt meters.

I did not put an ammeter in any of my three RVs, and never missed it - or having the clunky thing with big wires hanging on the firewall.

Carl
Old 01-19-2021, 05:38 PM

A battery contactor and starter contactor need to be on the forward side of the firewall.
An ANL or similar current limiter is needed for the alternator "B" lead, but it can be located either on the
aft or forward side of the firewall depending on where you want the "B" lead to connect to the electrical
system. Like Carl said, a shunt is not needed. If you really want to monitor the current, consider
a hall effect current sensor which will eliminate 4 high current connections.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:52 PM

Here's where I put mine on an RV-7A, based on others examples, and it has worked OK.
The second ANL holder is empty, for a future backup alternator if needed.
I think I got the ANL holders with covers from West Marine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	7173  
Old 01-19-2021, 06:28 PM

Should be on the firewall because of the § 6 inch of wire or less.
All with large gauge wire.
You can see this on the schematics .

Boomer

RV 7A--"MISS MARIE"--- N177WD (SOLD FLYING)72742
VAF #582-----------------EAA LIFETIME MEMBER
EX -KC-135A -------------BOOM OPERATOR #3633
VAN'S FLIGHT------------#6930

RETIRED————————-Enjoying life

See you in OSHKOSH

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ley&project=84

=VAF= 2006-2021 DUES PAID
Old 01-19-2021, 07:51 PM

Default Just me

For me anything that goes thru the firewall has a anl fuse or fusible links prior to firewall. This is because i want the wires to fry on the firewall side and not introduce smoke in the cockpit.
I am using a shunt to measure battery charge and discharge current. I will know right away if my alternator cant keep the battery charged long before the voltage starts to drop. By the time the voltage drops, it is too late to pick a convienent alternate airport; i would need to get down right away. The current shunt allows me to set the G3x to alarm as soon as the alternator craps out ( a technical term).
Here is picture of my firewall in process of being wired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B56D1A9-C094-4311-B5CE-D54AFEF065B9.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	7185  

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 65% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 01-20-2021, 10:29 AM

Don't forget about other systems or controls that are vying for space on the firewall. Plan now where that control cable will be routed, or fuel hose that might end up rubbing against a hot 'B' lead, or battery box mounted where its physically impossible to get a battery in & out.

On my first build, I parked a Cherokee 180 beside my project & used it as a template for doing everything FWF.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
There is no practical need for an ammeter shunt in our modern panel airplanes. Bus voltage alone is a superb indicator of electrical system health. Ammeters are a leftover from when we did not have accurate/economical volt meters.

I did not put an ammeter in any of my three RVs, and never missed it - or having the clunky thing with big wires hanging on the firewall.

Carl
Respectfully - I like having the Ammeter shunt so I can see the state/rate of charge from alternator to battery & rest of bus.

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:16 PM

I have 2 of the current shunts in my system. One for the primary alternator and one for the backup alternator. I want to be able to monitor current output to determine what my load is. My view is by the time you can tell that the voltage is low you are already overloading your system in some way. How much do you need to turn off you don't really know. Or if the current is higher than normal but still in the output range of the alternator you can detect that too.

I may be old school about this but the shunts are not that big and they can be installed right next to the protection fuse so its all pretty easy. I wish they still had ammeters in cars too btw, but that's just me.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete