Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 PM

Default Oshkosh - new procedure in Homebuilt Camping

VAFers,

Now that we've ticked over into July, it's time to start thinking about Oshkosh in earnest. Actually, to be accurate, we never really stop thinking about it, but the pace quickens as it gets closer.

Over the years, your faithful parking volunteers have heard some variation of the following questions roughly ninety jillion times:

1. "How early do I have to get here to get a good parking spot?" or its close cousin:

2. I got here early on purpose! Why do I have to park so far away from the showers/so close to the showers/ way in the back/ way in the front/ etc etc etc?

The answer to the first question is simple, if a bit sarcastic- there are no good parking spots at Oshkosh. Really. Because good parking spots are very much in the eye of the beholder, and we have no way to know what is going on in your eye. Some folks like being right next to the showers/ bathrooms, others can't stand the noise. Some like being right up front close to the crowds, some want to be as far in the back as they can for the peace and quiet.

Historically, we have filled HBC starting in the back (far west end) and working east. That doesn't make a lot of sense to some, until you consider this- the non-camping RV parking area (called Area 51 or the Sea of RVs) is to the area just east of HBC. And, as some of you know, we start parking in this area on the far east end (just west of Van's tent) and work west. HBC starts west and works east, parking starts east and works west, and we meet in the middle, somewhere around the 50 yard line. We can usually guess with some accuracy where the border will end up, but it is not an exact science and each year we make some adjustments to the border as needed. This would not be possible if we started at the border and worked out in each direction.

Make sense? Good, because now we are going to change it up. Based on the feedback we've gotten over the years since HBC came into existence, and with the additional real estate we've gained by taking over the former red auto parking lot, we are going to, for the first time, make an effort to get inside the eye of the beholder and divine the ideal parking spot for each arriving airplane. How will we do this? The same way everything else is communicated at Oshkosh- visually.

The procedure for arriving pilots is the same. Once on the ground, show your HBC sign to each and every orange vest you encounter. Once you arrive at the entrance to HBC, you will be greeted by something new- an orange vested volunteer with a sign of their own, which will look something like this:

WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO CAMP?

#1. UP FRONT - LESS WALKING

#2. OUT BACK – LESS TRAFFIC

#3. CLOSE TO FACILITIES

The options are numbered. After considering the options, pick one and show the appropriate number of fingers to the flagman, who will then direct you appropriately. Rocking your wings to acknowledge is not necessary. (Note: if your choice is option #1, please use the correct finger. This goes without saying, but I insert it for the benefit of the KC boys )

Keep in mind that this will be time and space permitting. Depending on when you get there, there may or may not be anything left in your chosen area. We will get you as close to your choice as we can, but as usual, if you want a good seat to the show, get there early.

As this is the first year of a new procedure, there is bound to be a learning curve, so bear with us. As always we welcome your feedback, as we are always looking for ways to improve the experience. I look forward to seeing many of you at the big show in a few weeks. As always, fly safe and READ THE NOTAM!
Milwaukee

Last edited by sprucemoose : 06-30-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:08 PM

Would it help to write a #1, #2 or #3 with a black magic marker on our HBC signs?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 PM

Would the area in blue be considered a #3?

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 06-30-2014, 08:23 PM

Default Laugh

Thanks......that was a fun read! You guys do a great job, but you will never please everyone!

So like Ricky Nelson sang in Garden Party...

But it's all right now,
I've learned my lesson well,
You see, you can't please everyone,
So you, gotta to please yourself.
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2021

Last edited by Danny King : 06-30-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Forum Peruser

Default North 40

Some of us park in the North 40 campground. Will this procedure be in effect for that area, too?
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 07-01-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal@F14 View Post
Would it help to write a #1, #2 or #3 with a black magic marker on our HBC signs?
No, and in fact it will just confuse all the flagmen out near the runway. Just show your normal sign until you get to HBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post
Would the area in blue be considered a #3?
#3 will start east of there, closer to the showers. By later in the show your dot might be the best #3 available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
Some of us park in the North 40 campground. Will this procedure be in effect for that area, too?
N40 is handled by a completely different group of volunteers and they do things differently. This procedure is in effect in homebuilts only.
Milwaukee
Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 AM

We had a perfect spot last year, up back, near the tent with the coffee pot, next to (but not too close) to the showers. Not sure how to to indicate that. But it was great.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Old 07-01-2014, 06:11 AM

Great post, Jeff. Looking forward to #2 this year. Every morning.

See you in a few weeks ...

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"
Old 07-01-2014, 06:25 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for offering up these very helpful and logical options!! And for your work at the show!!

Bryan
Old 07-01-2014, 06:47 AM

Jeff, a question. I'll be arriving early, like Friday if the weather is cooperative, and camping in HBC. I'll probably need to fly out Saturday morning to cover an event elsewhere, and perhaps the same on Sunday. Should I ask for some particular area?