Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 AM

Default Flying to OSH for the first time

Title pretty much says it all. Last year was our first time to OSH; we drove and camped in Scholler. It was a fun trip, but the drive was...substantial.

This year, we're flying. I already reserved the spam can and all. I feel better about flying up since I've been there and kind of have the lay of the land, but I'm still kind of cautious about the whole thing.

My understanding from reading on here is that Saturday and Sunday afternoon are the busiest arrival times, whereas those mornings can be surprisingly slow. Since this is my first time, I'd like to avoid the most hectic times. We're going to have to make a fuel stop anyway, so my thought was to just make that an overnight stop, then do the final leg the following morning when it's less busy and we're both well-rested.

I'm probably being ridiculously conservative about this, but I'm OK with that.

Any thought or tips for a first-timer? (Yes, I have the NOTAM printed out and I'll be studying that for the next two months...)
Old 05-18-2013, 09:03 AM

For a first time, I suggest going on Saturday! Traffic is quite manageable, the tower will welcome conversation, even welcome you to Osh and ask where you are coming from! There is a lot to absorb the first time, but after that it is a piece of cake.

Last edited by DonFromTX : 05-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Last year was my first trip. I used the same plan I use for Sun N Fun: Get there real early. I planned my arrival for 0900-0930. Came right in and landed. The only plane I saw on the arrival route was a cub. I struggled to stay behind him and was being successful. the guy on the ground told me to pass him up. With a blink of an eye and I was number one.

Do learn to fly a real tight pattern and make a descending turn to dump it on the numbers. Figure out what you need to fly around at 90 knots for an extended period of time.
N4IDH

Construction Log
?The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.?

?Mark Twain
Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 PM

Default Good idea

I think your plan is good. Planning for just that one leg into Oshkosh is easier and your arrival should go smooth. It's actually easier than you think. Good luck!
RV-14A - flying
Dues gladly paid
East Tennessee/SW Virginia
Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 PM

I've done it twice - the big recommendation I have is to have someone with you to look for traffic and avoid arriving during the airshow- sometimes they run longer than they publish. My first time we were holding at the lake for a while then had a very busy arrival.

Just keep your eyes open, watch out for the other guy, and you'll be fine.

John B
Mooney M20C (KPSK)
RV7 Wings

www.pdfplates.com
Old 05-18-2013, 07:04 PM

Default big groups

Just make sure you know when the big group caravans are flying in. The Cessnas, Mooneys, Bonanzas, and others. Most of them fly in on Sat in previous years. Do not fly in when they are messing up the pattern.
Granbury, Tx
http://bit.ly/2bnimsZ
Old 05-18-2013, 07:37 PM

My advice, aside from being super familiar with the notams, is being super familiar with your aircraft at the weight you plan to fly in. Practice slow flight and shallow 90 degree turns until you're very comfortable. Also fly with partial flaps to get a feel for its behavior in that configuration.

After landing and tie down....get yourself a nice cold beer!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 05-18-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbaute View Post
I've done it twice - the big recommendation I have is to have someone with you to look for traffic and avoid arriving during the airshow- sometimes they run longer than they publish. My first time we were holding at the lake for a while then had a very busy arrival.

Just keep your eyes open, watch out for the other guy, and you'll be fine.
Luckily, I'll have my lovely partner with me. She's also a pilot. (well, she flies helicopters, I guess that counts) So I feel pretty good about my CRM situation.

A couple comments have been made about getting familiar with flying in certain regimes, and that's on my to-do list as well. I don't get to go up all that much these days, but I'm going to get in a number of flights in the weeks leading up to the trip. I especially want to work on slow flight and flying precise patterns/landings.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:04 PM

You are on the right track.

1. Have the NOTAM, fly the NOTAM
2. Be very comfortable flying less than cruise speed and spot landings.
3. Keep your head on a swivel.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 05-19-2013, 06:14 AM

Default Read and understand

Read and understand this thread and you'll be fine. It was made a sticky for a reason....

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...Flying+Oshkosh

Make sure you use the 2013 version of the notam. Jeff Point's link in post #1 tajes you to last year's version.

Joe