What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What made you "Pull the Trigger"?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, with the airplane in the paint shop, I've got nothing better to do than start a thread.....

I doubt that very many folks wake up one morning, say to themselves "I think I'll build an airplane!", and call up Van's. I suspect that most had thought about building for years, but didn't take the big step until they reached some magic point - and pulled the trigger on the project!

In my case, it was a combination of factors...

1) I had started and stopped designs for my "perfect airplane" since I was a student, but never got far enough to cut any metal (or glass, wood, fabric....). I admired the RV designs, but didn't want to spend 10 years building from sheet metal!

2) A young engineer who I was mentoring mentioned that he had started an airplane project - an RV-7 - and that Van's now had Quickbuild Options! I went to the web sight, found the RV-8, and started to do the math...

3) My trusty AA1B-160 of 23 years was beginning to show primer through the paint, and half the avionics needed work. More math....paint for $7,000, Avionics for $15,000....it just wasn't worth it!

I called Van's and got out my credit card for the first of many times....

So what's your story? What finally tipped you over the edge?

I've got time..... ;)

Paul

My first ride in the red (now defunct) RV-6. I'd been looking at kitplanes for quite a while and toying with the idea but that one ride was all it took. Marched straight over to Van's and ordered a tail kit, then marched over to Avery's and bought more tools than I could carry.

what started it

. . . and you did a great job Paul. Beautiful airplane.

I fell in love with flying at an early age (about 4) because my father used to take me flying with him. His flight instructor was building an aerobatic biplane, and I found that fascinating.

Fast forward 17 years and I started building RC models. Those models became increasingly bigger and more complex. At some point I started thinking about building something I could fly. I started reading Kitplanes magazine, and after that it was just a matter of time -- 17 years to be specific.

Over the Cliff

Paul,
After they took away my 777 (They told me I was too old to fly it. 55 retirement age in CX) I took the money and ran.
Then a friend bought an RV8 and asked me to ferry it back from Perth to Melbourne. 10hrs later I was hooked.
Edita saw the smile on my face (The infamous RV Grin) and said I should use the CX share options to buy a QB kit. Well, Almost! Subsequently, we sold my BM bike, her Audi and my 1974 911.
But we have a glorious aeroplane.
Cheers,
Pete.
PS. Now the aircraft is at the painters, if you look around you will noticed the lawns haven't been mown for years or the car cleaned. I went inside at that stage and found this lovely woman living in the house.
Pete.

Making time

I'm glad you started this thread - simply because I love to tell this story. I think it applies so much to life in general.

I first discovered that there was such a thing as a homebuilt airplane when I was in school, at the Air Force Academy. I had an engineering teacher named Maj Paul Waters, if memory serves. He bought a set of preview plans for the RV-6 and used those plans for a class project. Basically, we analyzed the expected loads on the wing and calculated the factor of safety on the main spars. (as it turned out, I think it was a very high 3 or 4 IIRC).

So I asked him if he was going to buy a kit and build one. To paraphrase, he said, "I would really like to, but I don't have the time right now. I think I might be able to do it in a few years". Now, at the time I was a 20-year-old cadet and to my young eyes he was ancient - a Major!! (probably closing in on 40). That got me to thinking - if this guy, who is 20 years older than me, doesn't have time for that kind of project, then I will probably not "have time" either for the next 20 years.

As I was about to graduate and go off to AF undergraduate pilot training, I decided that I was not going to wait another 20 years, only to find out that I STILL did not "have time" to build an airplane. I was going to make time. With the approval of my new bride, I bought the empennage kit and an Avery tool kit with some wedding money, and away we went. It was obviously slow going through the UPT days, and then my FAIP days, and then my IFF days, and then my F-15 training days, and right up through my operational flying days. But 7+ years later, I have a brand-new airplane, and I'm many years younger than my old instructor was in 1996 when he was still dreaming of building his own airplane.

So if you're reading this and you're still thinking, "Man, I'd like to build an RV but I just don't have the time", I would just remind you that we all have the same 24 hours - you just have to decide what you're going to spend it on. (this would be a good time to reference the "What have you given up?" thread)

We were looking for a plane to buy but couldn't find anything that fit the bill. It had to be aerobatic, fast, have good range and affordable. We decided we would have to buy a Mooney, a Pitts and a SuperCub to do everything we wanted to do. Yeah, right. Anybody got a rich uncle they can lend us for a few months? :D

We decided we would just build something. The RV-7 doesn't do everything but it does enough things well that we figured, "what the heck". No long evenings agonizing over the decision. We bought a house in the area (needed the room, of course), ordered tools and an empenage kit about a week before we closed. A few days after moving in, things started showing up and here we are. We just kinda' did it without a whole lot of planning or forethought.

First came the $50,000.00 RV "free" ride. Then came the salivating to have an RV, and being unwilling to wait the build time (purchased RV-6A). Next came the reality that I could build a better airplane with a glass panel while I flew to my hearts content. Then came Van's introduction of the RV-10 and I was hooked. As a side note building is contagious, after selling my RV-6A to help finance the -10 I had a chance to buy a partial completed RV-8 kit for less than Van's parts price so it is on the back burner until the -10 is completed. Besides everybody needs a traveling machine and a unside down inside out toy.

Good thread Paul. Hope you get your toy back from the paint shop soon.......

As for me, I tell people that it took me 40 years to build my RV. I started out building stick and tissue rubber models when I was 7 or 8. Then graduated into gas powered control line. Had to drop the hobby while in college, but then my future wife saw me drooling over RC model magazines and got me a Sig Kadet Jr. kit and a Fox .19 engine. I was officially hooked on RC, and on her for that matter!

Built RC models for 16 years. Then a fellow RC builder of mine went to OSH and bought the preview plans for the -6. I had started to design and build my own models, so when I saw that all the parts were laid out in those plans, I bought one as well and started plotting out a 1/3 scale model.

About halfway through designing my RV-6 model, it came to me. What the heck am I doing?!! Why not just build a real one?? I had gotten into 1/4 scale pretty heavy, so all my models were getting bigger and bigger, and more expensive. I kept thinking that after spending all that money, what am I left with? A bunch of models collecting dust, or in a trash bag.

About that time, my receptionist's husand was killed in an auto accident at the age of 35. That and the fact that I lost my father to lung cancer earlier at the age of 68 made me realize that life can be short. One of the last bits of advice my father gave me was to not wait to do things in your life that you really want to do. I figured that if I don't start building my RV now, I may never do it. I realized that mine would be a long project (and I was right....8.5 yrs) so I had better get to it.

So I visited the local aerodrome and started taking lessons. Thought it would be a good idea to see if I actually liked flying. No problem there.

Like Jeff Point mentioned, I went to OSH and first bought my empenage kit at Van's booth, and then went to Averys and bought the RV builders kit of tools.

And as they say......the rest is history....

Regards,

Last edited:
Not any one thing but several. Here's my Reader's Digest version.

I had the Tri-Pacer for about 8 years now. She was (still is) a good airplane. Engine past midtime. Climb prop worked great here in the Rockies. Fabric beginning to show signs of wear. Been to countless strips, paved and otherwise. Always close to last arriving during group flyouts.

One day I mentioned to the wife that I'm gonna build an airplane as a retirement project 13+ years down the road. She then flatly stated that "You'll never retire." So I picked up my -9A emp kit in July '04 during a visit to the inlaws.

Of course that was after the factory demo ride and preview plans study and comparisons with other (gasp) homebuilts.

attempting to fit the right wing,
*%#@ bolts
Steve

Well I guess it was a combination of things. First, my wife and I set out a financial goal to get (me) an airplane by age 35 (I was 29 at the time of that discussion). I told her that if I built a plane it would take several years and we could ration out the money during that time. Hopefully the plane would be complete by age 35! My RC habit was in full gear and to me, it made more sense to throw money at something that will have value in the long run. My buddy at work (airline A&P) had researched many, many kitplanes and come to the conclusion that like Van says - does a lot of thing well, good company, good kits, etc. We looked over several designs and missions... he said he'd give me free help whenever I needed it... so at that time I pretty much decided on an RV.

That same buddy and I went spam can flying on July 31, 2004... we land at PDK and come taxiing in behind a gorgeous RV-8. Shutdown, put the plane away and go find that RV!!

The very next day I took a ride in that RV-8 and that sealed the deal. Sent in my order the same day!! That RV-8 driver has also been a tremendous help in terms of time, help and tools. The RV community is great! By Aug 4, I was squeezing rivets on the rear spar on the stab.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Plane is at the airport and could fly in a few weeks - if I just had the time!! I beat age 35 by 4 years.

Last edited:
One Builders Ephipany

Great thread. Like so many of us, I lived and dreamed airplanes as a kid. The usual M.O. Plastic models, toys, balsa models, U-control. At 19, found myself earning a real paycheck helping to build F-4 Phantoms during the height of the Viet Nam War, until I got drafted. At the last minute, a call from a Navy recruiter got me into the Navy. Tough duty. I became an "Airdale." Based at NAS Barbers Point, Hawaii, first flying lesson was in a Piper Colt over Pearl Harbor. Hooked for life. After military service, I went back to McDonnell and returned to the F-4 program. In 1974, I was installing "taper loks" to secure the F-4's massive wing spar. It was then I experienced that highly personal epiphany while working the second shift. I realized I "could" build a personal airplane.....only problem....newly wed and no money. The dream danced in and out of my thoughts for years. Sometimes the dream came into sharper focus with notions of a Teenie Two or Bede 5 project as showcased in "Popular Science." After a brief flirtation, the dream inevitably faded into the background for all the usual reasons, primarily... no money.

A statistic once cited by an insurance salesman always stuck with me. He said the average McDonnell-Douglas employee lived a mere 18 months after retirement. EIGHTEEN MONTHS! In 1999 I planned an early retirement. I knew too many people who simply worked until the day they died, sometimes carried out of the factory on a stretcher. That dismal prospect just was not for me. No way. I also knew if I was going to quit in a year or two as a relatively young man and if I was really going to do this thing, it was high time to make the commitment once and for all. At the time, Van's Aircraft was not on my radar screen. I never even heard of Van....until I seriously researched the designs out there. I simply chose the RV-6A based upon its sexy appearance and performance numbers versus the cost to build. The years of aircraft construction experience truly paid off. Still, it was an enormous challenge. Often, when stumped facing a given problem, I would ask myself rhetorically "How in the world can anybody with no sheet metal experience possibly dive in and build this thing?" I am convinced if it wasn't for the vast information sharing potential of the Internet, true leaders like Van offering the experimental movement his varied, considerable talents and almost unheard of product support, dedicated enthusiasts like George Orndorff who walked this slow learner through the process with his series of videos (sometimes, a given detail replayed over and over again), uncommon and talented devotees like Doug Reeves, who selflessly provides us with a great place to gather and share, I'd still be scratching my head over endless construction details instead of enjoying the enormous satisfaction I now feel everytime that bi-fold door slowly opens to reveal the handmade dream come true silently sitting inside and somehow beckoning me with her irresistible siren call.

Last edited:
what decision?

I had looked at experimental aircraft for years and I must confess the Rutan designs always looked sexy. My brother had done the same over the years. One day I get a call from my brother at what was probably a low time in my life. Divorced for the second time scraping an existence on my own, he invites me to cross the country and live there, to help him build and RV-7A, what we both figured to be the best value for performance/quality. My employeer is happy to have me work from a home office across the country so off I go. 3 years later I'm flying off to Pheonix Arizona to pick up an RV-4 kit from a builder that has lost his medical and an 0-320 and prop from another RV-6 builder how's updrading. Pack it all in a truck and drive back to Abbotsford BC with my own kit. I could'nt imagine an easier decision.

By this time neither I nor my brother have yet had a ride in and RV yet we have little doubt. When an RV-6 owner at our airport offers me a lift :D the decision only becomes clearer.

Hopefully 2 more RV's will be joining the flying community.

decent ROI

My brother-in-law came up with the idea of a tail-kit as a birthday present for my dad. Figured it would keep him out of trouble.

For me, it's easy ROI. He's doing most of the labor, and it'll be worth more when it's done than what I put into it. It's not like blowing money on short-term joys like a Vette, boat, ex-wife or golf. It'll last 20-30 years.

Lots of reasons to build

One day while sitting around at a family re-union and talking and enjoying a cold beer with all of the men something became very clear to me. In some wierd way I was not feeling worthy of being in a group such as this and didn't feel like they could see me as one of them. There was no clear reason at first and it bothered me for a while. But then I started trying to figure out what made some of these men seem bigger than me and what I came up with is that they had all done things in their lives to set them off somehow from others. Maybe it is like some kind of right of passage, I don't really know how to define it. Examples: One uncle was a WW2 veteran who was a purple heart recipient and spent his whole life self employed. He worked hard and played harder. At one point he built a drag boat in the days when most people were cruising around in deep V hulls. At the time the only big block around was made by Packard and that was exactly what was powering his boat, all 513 cubic inches and all four carburators. It was well into the 1970's before this boat was outrun and eventually flipped when racing a more modern boat. It's name was "Booger Red." Another uncle was an airplane nut and had purchased a Ryan PT 21 and a BT-19 at the end of war. He later built gyro copters and flew them and developed a way to steer them that changed the sport forever. In the early days they were apparently pulled by their wives in the family car to get into the air. He later got into Hot Rods and had 3 featured in Hot Rod magazine. His most radical was a 65' Chevelle powered by an Allison from an early P51. He built the automatic transmission with 2 gears, 1:1 and a 40% overdrive. This car was awesome and was registered to drive on the street. The story goes on and on. Some of them built their own houses while their families lived in tents building at night by the light of the headlights from their only possession which was a car. How does one feel like they have accomplished anything in a group like this? Now enter my friends. One of my childhood idles is now a very close family friend. He was an 8 time AMA champion, consectutive, for motorcycle hillclimbing. He was the first man to climb the famous "Widowmaker" near Salt Lake City after they moved it to the nearly 1500 foot face. He holds world speed records at Bonneville for stream lined motorcylcles of 1000cc and under. Then there's my wifes father who along with a group of his friends are currently trying to take the world speed record for motorcycles. They are currently the fastest, (328mph) but need to do it again with the proper sanctioning bodies present. What I'm trying to say is that you don't fit in with real guys like these unless you are one too! So how do you do this and in a way that holds your interest and is driven by passion?

With all of this bouncing around in my mind and the burning need for an airplane the answer seemed like a no brainer to me. I'd build my own airplane. Most everybody thought that I was crazy to do something like this, but now I sit at funtions or bbq's and I'm one of those crazy fools who did something spectacular. It has changed everything and I often hear of these people bragging about my airplane and what was accomplished. That alone made it all worth while, and as an added benefit I now have an airplane that has changed my life. :D

Regards,

The Perfect Time

My woodwork teacher in high school had all these VP-2 ribs sitting about the room. I found out about EAA and homebuilts from him. I took 14 years to build my almost-scratchbuilt RV-4, but I started young and did other things along the way. I tell people that if you wait for the perfect moment to do something, you'll be waiting a long time.

RV-4 VH-PIO
250hrs

Pulling the trigger sloooowwwwly

I had always wanted to fly. Snuck off for glider lessons in Arizona as soon as I could drive. Joined the Navy and worked on Tomcats. One day one of the aircrew flipped me his magazine and inside was one beautiful machine, an RV-4. I started in 1993 but had to sell due to a family issue. Now I have chosen the RV-8. It already has all the upgrades I wished on the RV-4. It does not matter if a person is a RV builder or not, I have found most people in aviation ready to help whenever I need it. That is one of the best things about aviation.

I was around 18 yrs old when the BD-5 splashed on the scene and I first discovered you could build a plane in your garage. I knew then that someday I would build a plane.
My first "dream" was an Osprey II. No serious investigation. Then it was a Mustang II, and I actually bought plans, but got no further. Moving back to Portland Oregon, an RV-6 became a no-brainer. When I met my future wife, even though she had no interest in planes or flying, I told her someday I would be building a plane, and if she couldnt get behind that, we should call it quits right there.
My wife bought me an RV-6 tail kit for my 40th birthday, and I really started to get ready to get ready, but never (in my mind) got together enough space or time to give it a fair shot - I didn't feel confident enough that I would see it through to completion.
Then we moved into a house with a hanger (still getting ready to get ready). Then I found Dan's web site in mid 2002. Then I started getting serious about collecting tools. Then I found these forums in the fall of 2005. Then I really wanted to start building, and felt the time was right, that I would see it through!
I turned my rationalization for not starting around -that all the things I have to do "first" will never really be done, something else will always come up. So deal with it! Build a plane, and fit the other stuff in as best you can!
I talked it over with my wife, and we went to Van's to get parts to convert the unstarted -6 kit to a -7, and order the wings. At Van's Ken Scott said I would probably be better off buying a fresh -7 tail, and selling the -6, and my wife agreed! So I got what I really wanted (a -9), spent the next month doing Christmas and the last push of getting ready, and in January finally started!
So it took 30 years to pull the trigger. I believe the final push was these forums. A real community, with real good people all in the same boat. Helping, encouraging, warning, chastizing, from "what do I do?" to "been there done that". I'm normally not too emotional, but I think I love you guys and gals for being here and helping me off the dime.
Again - Thanks!

How it all began...

The summer I turned 18, I worked at an airport near Dayton Ohio where my uncle was a flight instructor during the week and a wing walker on the weekends. I washed airplanes, did general line-grunt work, helped assemble the banners for the Air Ad service there, and got to fly for free whenever an aiplane and instructor were available. Room and board at my uncle's place and 20 bucks a week; plus the chance to help re-cover a Stearman and get my first taste of working on real aiplanes; I was in paradise... though I didn't realize it at the time!

I soloed in a Citabria that Summer, after 7.5 hours of instruction, but all too soon, summer ended. College, military, wife, kids.... fast forward 25 years. Now in a position to financially do what I always wanted to do... I decided to buy an airplane. Problem was; what to buy. In order to do all the things I wanted to do, I figured I would need three airplanes! One each for grass strips, cross country, and aerobatics... For much less than that would cost, I found an single airplane that would do all those things; the RV. There is no substitute!

As I started working on the -7, my life-long passion was rekindled. I realized that I had missed my calling. I now know what I want to do when I grow up! Build 'em and Fly 'em...

So as I start the second half of my life, I am building the RV-7. Hopefully the first of many RVs that I build and fly. Some people know what they want to do in life from the time they are children. Some never figure it out. I guess I'm lucky that I still have many years ahead of me (God willing) to enjoy this true passion called airplanes... and I can't think of a better aircraft or community to enjoy it with.

Better than an ultralight

I started flying lessons in 1967 and was doing solo cross countries before Uncle Sam called. There wasn't any flying until 1981 when I bought my first ultralight. I had finally got rid of both of them in 1988 (crashed one and sold the other because it needed too much work). After the kids were gone I suggested to the wife that I was bored and it was either a girlfriend or build another ultralight. She didn't like the girlfriend or ultralight idea. She wanted something with two seats and fast enough to go places.

Interestingly enough, Sport Aviation had an article that month about a guy who built a RV-6 for $24,000. I told her I knew just what to build to make us both happy.

Five years later and a LOT more than $24,000 (I still have the article) we are enjoying our RV-6A. I chuckle when I read it now at how naive I was at what this would cost and how much time it would take.

I blame it on a friend...

Since I was a kid I have always wanted to build my own airplane.

Flash forward several years, and I found myself owning a Citabria. I quickly realized that I enjoyed working on the airplane as much as flying it. Then one day, while hanging out in my friend Sean's hangar and drooling over his recently completed Pitts S-1-11B, I said I wanted to build an airplane someday. He fired back, "Why not now?" to which I did not have a good answer. He said that he had observed how meticulous I was with my work on the Citabria and went on to say, "I think you would make an excellent builder." That was about all it took, I went home that night and the gears were in motion. Two weeks later the Citabria was up for sale (I was thinking of selling it anyway) and I was on my way to Van's for a test flight.

Now, whenever I see my friend Sean I always tell him... "It was you that got me into this mess!" :D

"Get started"

When I was a kid--8 or 9--I was always trying to figure out a way to turn our lawn mower motor into an airplane engine...never did figure it out.

AF pilot training (T-37, T-38), T-37 FAIP, T-41 IP at the Academy, T-3 IP at the Academy, C-141, B-737, C-17, Fokker 100, 727, MD-80...hey what happened to my fun little two seaters????!!!

Flew with a Captain by the name of Ballard. His brother was a Delta guy building a -8A. He and a buddy were building a -7. I picked his brain for 3 days about the RVs. He was probably soooo glad when that trip ended. They both had Builder Profiles here a few years ago...disc space is tight. Started hitting the RV fly ins around North Texas (by car :( ). Met a few of the legends (Rosie, Stratman, Doug, Jay, Danny, Mel). All had one common thing to say..."get started".

Shortly thereafter, 9/11. Who new what was going to happen next? Of course, the Reserve call-up. But following the "get started" advice, on the first day they were for sale, I ordered the 27th RV-10 kit from Frankfurt during crew rest...only to have my call-up extended...bit the bullet and canceled, $150 down the tube.

Came back to TX, settled back in to the MD-80, displaced from DFW to STL. It took 3 years, but the post-9/11 furloughs eventually caught up to me.

Dusted off the resume, somehow landed a job in the IT/networking world after not doing anything but flying airplanes for 16 years. With the income stream restored--and no flying at work--the itch returned pretty quickly. Bribed my wife into SWRFI '05 by staying at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort and Spa. (http://www.hillcountry.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp). Sat through Mel's presentation, to convince her we could do it, and ordered the kit the next week. Went with the -8 (no kids) to try and save some cash (vs. -10), from the kit, engine and operation standpoint.

I desperately want flying to be fun again. And I am certain it will be in my RV-8. Not looking to live the "fighter pilot" fantasy--almost been there, done that--but I think the -8 will be a blast! RVs are easily the best performance for the buck, bucks I'm a little tighter with after the last few years experiences. And lastly, I'm sure not getting any younger (with 40 closing fast)..."get started".

That is pretty much what I would tell anyone interested in building an RV--it won't happen if you never start.

Joe

Last edited:
get started

Have owned various airplanes most of my adult life. Never, ever, thought that building an airplane would be for me. Started noticing RV's a few years ago, but did not give it much thought since my Gorgeous Wife was happy with the Cardinal and then the elderly Bonanza for the "get in and go somewhere" trips we love. We began to think about a retirement airplane a few years ago and that is when I started thinking (to myself) about the RV-10. I had a trip to Seattle about two years ago and drove down to Aurora to take a look. I took a demo flight in 410RV with Ken Scott (Tony Partain hitch-hiked in the back seat) and I was hooked. I thought about it for awhile and then gingerly introduced the idea to the aforementioned GW. She was surprised, but interested. We took a flying vacation to the Pacific NW in the Bonanza last summer, and one of the stops was Aurora, so she could get a look for herself. After a visit to AirVenture later that summer, we decided that this was a project we wanted to do.
We finished the tail kit at Synergy Air last month, had a blast doing it, and are just waiting for the rest of the QB kit to arrive in a few weeks. Having the GW as an enthusiastic partner is icing on the cake.

Pulling the trigger

After some thirty years of telling people that I was going to build an airplane some day, my colleague and partner, the picture of health, was training for the New York marathon, and stroked one morning. That pretty well ended his career, as well as his "real" life. I ordered an 8 QB the very next day. I finished the empennage at Synergy Air, and am now finishing the wings. As a late bloomer (60 years old), I much enjoy my only daughter's "help" in the hangar. As she is only 41/2 years old, I expect we have a good number of years to fly, and I hope she loves it enough to keep it long after I'm gone. I feel grateful for the chance to build and eventually fly such an extraordinary design, one that brings passion to a man who has done most everything in this life.

Pulling the trigger - - milestones in life, etc.

These stories sound so familiar:

Plastic airplane models before age 10.

Control line airplanes age 10-12.

Never really thought about airplanes and me as a pilot until I built radio-controlled models from age 30 through age 39. Took ground school courses and passed the written test in the early 1980's (age 34).

Finally took my first real "sit in the airplane" flying lesson in 1991 at age 44. I changed jobs eight months later. Finished the training and passed my check ride in March 1993 (age 46).

Started to look at Kit Planes magazines with sights on a Velocity, but discovered it was not for me due to size and comfort levels, etc. Thought about the Glassic Composites variation on the Cozy Mark IV, even paid for a first ride in that one, and decided against a fiberglass airplane completely.

Went to OSHKOSH 2002 while working at a good paying job. Sat in several other designs, and all of the Van's kits (RV-7, -8, and -9). There was no RV-10 at that time. I decided on the RV-9A, went home and again had an unplanned job change the day after I got home from OSH.

Got another job, met some RV builders at TVRVBG over at Huntsville, Alabama (I live near Chattanooga, TN). Ordered the tools and the empennage in the fall of 2002. After 2000 hours of slow-building, the airplane got its airworthiness inspection on June 8. 2005.

Let me say that other milestones fill in some of the intervening months. I had a flight in an RV-6 demonstrator at Sun-N-Fun a few years back (2000?) but did not get going until fall 2002.

I flew to Oregon for transition training on my 58th birthday in 2005. I lost a job again at a fortuitous time at the end of February 2005, just in time to really get serious on finishing the airplane. With enough money in my savings, and the airplane already bought and paid for, I worked every day to get ready for the summer flying season.

My RV-9A had the 40 hours phase 1 testing completed in less than a month. It went into the paint shop on July 5, 2005. It came out of the paint shop the day before Airventure 2005 and I went there the next day.

Lots of photos, text, stories, flying photos, etc. -- all on www.n2prise.org for all to see. Met Paul Rosales (Rosie), the DFW area RV pilots, Doug Reeves, et al when I went to LOE5 in October 2005.

What a life! The RV-9A currently has 172.7 hours on the hobbs. IF the weather cooperates, the Rocky Mountain fly-in at KFTG is my next trip, free for me since I will be in Denver on business for the week before the fly-in.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ "Enterprise"
www.n2prise.org

I saw retirement looming and knew my income would be laughable compared to the cost of my Twin Commander. Didn't really have the time or talent to build and was full terrible of OWTs about experimentals. Started to investigate and found a Rocket that I just couldn't resist. Love the airplane to death but after 2 years it just isn't that perfect plane so in January I pulled the trigger and ordered a kit and am in the process with expert assistance of building my perfect plane. I have been infected and now have the disease. Spruce, Blue Mountain, and e bay have become my best friends and worse financial nightmares. :D

I was always fascinated by airplanes. Grew up building models (mostly plastic) like almost everyone here. In 1979 I was looking thru a National Geographic magazine and saw an article about Oshkosh. The fly-in and EAA didn't sink in at the time but I was totally consumed by the fact that I could build my own airplane! I was hooked from that moment on. I've wanted to build many airplanes: Fokker Triplane, Molt Taylor Mini-imp, etc. Just about anything that was unique and caught my eye.

In 1982, a skydiver friend bought a flying Thorp T-18. I got a ride in it and was very impressed. Within several years I found out about a group of guys that were building RV's together at a local airport (DWH). I would make the one hour drive at least every other weekend to look around and watch.

Fast forward to 1996... I had been saving money to start a project but didn't have my pilots license. Finally decided I had things out of order and started taking flying lessons, mostly flying a J-3 and Citabria. Got my license in July '96 and flew to Oshkosh with a buddy in his Cherokee 140. Saw the prototype RV-8 at Van's booth and fell in love. After returning home, I met up with a friend that had bought a flying RV-4. He took me for a ride, including rolls and loops. I was sold, had to have the -8.

In December of 1996, a local lady pilot was looking for a hanger for her Cessna 150. She found one but didn't want to pay the $200/month. She asked me if I wanted to share the hanger which I did. I ordered the RV-8 tail kit on 12/23 and drove to Avery's on 12/26. Started construction Jan. 1, 1997 and never looked back.

Karl

several people

John Stewart is probably the most responsible individual for getting me into flying. While I was in high school back in Burlington, CO, I frequently visited his shop during the construction of his first RV, the Lindy winning -6A N799HS. For my high school graduation he coordinated a group gift where several people chipped in to purchase some C172 rental time from Butterfly Aviation in Goodland, KS. Jim Baker was my CFI and was also building an RV-6, N699JB. Both of these guys are great friends and continued to feed the RV bug.

I was working two jobs during the summers in college, four days a week as a line guy at Denver Air Center at Jeffco (KBJC) and the other three days doing construction back in Burlington for John. I bought a 1959 C150 and used it for the ~140nm commute, but one can only take the reality of being overtaken by trucks on I-70 below so many times before you decide you need a faster plane. I was getting closer to making the RV decision but still wasn?t there yet.

One day I went to visit a builder and his project in Golden. Fred Hollendorfer and his ?Air Boss? Dona generously offered me one of her buddy passes on Frontier so I could go check out the factory in Oregon. I toured the floor and got a ride with Ken Scott in the -6, but it wasn?t until I went back to the factory and talked with Bill Benedict when I made my decision. Bill actually advised me not to build an RV, but wait until I was out of school (I was a junior at the time with 4.5 semesters to go). The desire and drive you get to do something after you?re told you can?t/shouldn?t, combined with the new and complete respect of someone that put my best interest before his own company, made up my mind right there. Bill was a great man and I know the memory of him and his son are still cherished by many in the RV community today.

Bill, I apoligize for declining your advice and ordering a tail kit as soon as I returned to Colorado, but thank you for the indirect challenge to take on an RV project and accel in school at the same time. Who knew my grades would improve while working on a project like this?

Sorry for the long winded response, but the bottom line is I have many people to thank for helping me start one of the greatest adventures of my life.

A Ride in a Glastar!

I had been considering building for about 7 or 8 years. I kept putting it off until I got tenure because I was afraid I would become too distracted. Around the time I got tenure, the New Glasair company was just emerging after the Stoddard-Hamilton bankruptcy. I contacted NGC and they agreed to stop by my then home (Slidell, LA) on their way to SNF. After that demo ride, I ordered the tail kit for a Glastar. However, I couldn't get over my concern about whether NGC would last (they were only about a year old at the time and since they are privately held, I couldn't get any info on their financial health). I built the rudder from the tail kit and really enjoyed it. I was very happy with my choice. Then, NGC announced their price increases for the next year and they were staggering. I seriously considered buying the rest of the kit just to get the old prices. However, storage space would have been a big problem. And, again, I was uneasy about the financial health of NGC. (It is obvious now that they were doing fine. However, they have continued to be very agressive with their pricing). Anyway, after that price increase I started reevaluting my mission and comparing completion costs between the Glastar and an RV. I decided the RV8A would be faster, much less expensive to build, much easier to build, more fun to fly, and match my mission profile at least as well if not better. So I ordered the RV8A emp kit and put the partially completed Glastar tail kit up for sale.

I have been at this a little over 2 years now and I should be starting on the fuse kit in June or July. I want to echo what others have said. You can't wait until you "have the time". I would still be thinking about it if I had. Sure, it has taken me over 2 years to get through the wings. However, those 2 years would have passed anyway and I wouldn't have nearly completed wings if I hadn't started. Go ahead and get started! Just don't let the plane take over the rest of your life.

Growing my father always had a subscription to Flying, Popular Mechanics, National Geographic?s, and other. He was never a pilot but in his job a number of companies would send their private planes to fetch him. My mother would load all seven of us kids in the station wagon and drive us to either MBS or 3BS to watch him leave. I remember some of the planes like a Beach 18 and an MU-2 as well as those on the ramps. Upon his return he would tell us all about the flights and the places he would go.

It was so cool to fly home the first time to give him a ride. He never knew I was flying until I called him from the airport and asked him to pick me up.

Like many on the list, I too built plastic and string controlled airplanes. Even designed and flew few of my own.

While at Western Michigan University my roommates were all in the flight program and I got my first ride in a light plane. I must be stupid but one of the guys was working on his CFI and ?needed? someone to get the plane into spins so he could practice getting them out. We spent over two hours spinning that 152. Ok, we really spent more time climbing for altitude so we could do the next spin. While in the air we almost got run over by Sue Parrish in her pink P-40. What a great day!

A year after graduating from WMU I got my PPL back when my friends were learning to play golf. (I still can?t play that game but that?s ok because they can?t fly a plane.)

I remember dreaming about building an airplane since reading about the original Glassair in one of my roommate?s flying magazines.

Fast forward to Christmas ?98. I was freshly divorced, my beloved ?41 T-Craft was sold in the divorce sale, and I found myself rambling around this big empty house with an unfinished walkout basement. I ordered an RV-6 tail kit and started on it. I didn?t get far before messing up the first part and putting it on the shelf. Periodically I would get back to it but when Van announced the -9A. Knowing the type of flying I liked to do I figured that if they ever announced a tail dragger version I would buy one. I still waited a year or two to order my tail kit but after two years of constructions I'm looking forward to flying it and starting on my next project, whatever that will be.

On a break at a&p school, I was flipping through trade-a-plane, or something, and stumbled across an ad for an RV-7. A very beautiful white and yellow airplane, that i could swear had my name written all over it. I had my private licence and was wanting to buy an airplane to get out of renting. I crunched the numbers and it didn't match my budget. I bought an old luscombe instead, but after a few years of $600 here, $1800 there and watching the "rv story" so many times the tapes' worn out, I started building an rv-4. The luscombe pushed the money button one last time last fall, so it sit's in storage, and I'll keep my feet on the ground 'till the -4 is done. I did get a ride in that rv-7 that started it all this spring while picking up my fuse kit. The guy that narrates the "rv story" was the pilot, too!

Get to work!

N941WR said:
It was so cool to fly home the first time to give him a ride. He never knew I was flying until I called him from the airport and asked him to pick me up.

Great story. Unfortunately my father was diagnosed with emphysema in 1990. I didn't start my RV until 1997. By then his health had deteriorated to the point that he could barely get around, and then only with an oxygen bottle. He would come out and park right in front of the hanger. Eventually he would get out of the car and work his way into the hanger, sitting on an old bar stool in the corner. He would just sit and watch me work, occasionally asking questions. By 1999 his health had gone down far enough that he couldn't get out of the house. He passed in 2000, 3 years before my first flight. What I wouldn't give so he could at least see the finished plane.

Guys, get out there and work on your project every chance you get. You never know what opportunities may be passing you by because your plane isn't finished yet.

Karl

p.s. If you still smoke, please stop. It was a horrible thing to watch, I can't imagine what it was like constantly fighting for enough air. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Back