- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM

Default Back into building

As I sat in the dentist chair as they drilled away at my cavity today, it made me want to drill some RV-8 holes as well. For about 2 months I have put the build on hold because me (a newby) has been stuck at step 2 on the front spar assembly. Along with my stuckness is the fear that I have, or will mess **** up. If anyone could help describe that step a little more clearly for me I would appreciate it so much!

Newby builder in a chilly garage,

Ian

N527DH (reserved) RV-8
Tail Kit: 80% done

Follow my flying journey on PilotIan.com
Twitter: ianhoyt
Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Smile

Look at View A-A on DWG 3(HS), that diagram shows two bold ovals with dashes that say "DRILL IN ASSEMBLY WITH RIBS". The +'s in the ovals are the HS-404/HS405 attach points. Step #2 is referring to all the holes between those ovals. If I counted right there are 8 holes to drill on each HS-810-1 and HS-814-1.

Don't be too paralyzed by the fear of screwing something up, it is just a piece of Aluminum if you can't fix it and make it safe you can order another one. Ask me how I know

http://www.mykitlog.com/AaronMiller/
Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Default Just do it!

I concur w/ Mill2978. I hate making mistakes, but I have made two in the past 3 months. Both required ordering a replacement piece from Van's. The worst part - not the cost... the wait for the new part to come in to be able to go back to building. Sometimes it helps to walk away for a few days too.

Ken
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Default Thanks!

I love these forums because people like you guys answer so quickly! You guys, and a friend helped me through it on the phone and I was able to figure out that I truly was supposed to drill 6 of those 8 holes with #30. But of course i dont have a 3/16 bit to drill the other 4 holes. And Vans says a #21 isnt good enough so I guess im off to lowes tomorrow!

Thanks alot guys appreciate you guys helping a new young builder out and not making me sound like a retard!

N527DH (reserved) RV-8

Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 AM

you will screw up a lot, it's knowing whether to fix it, replace the part, or ask for help that makes you a good builder

keeping it to yourself, not sharing, and building on without 3rd party advice, will make you a dangerous builder

also if you're not sure how to do something with the tools you have, you probably have the wrong tools, so ask!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Road bump....

Thanks guys! I have since continued and was able to drill all eight holes on the front spar assembly. went to menards and got a 3/16 just so I could drill 4 holes. So in 2 weekends I will be driving my stuff down to a friends house to have a "building sessoin" Basically since I have 0 experience in any building like this, he and I thought itd be best to just have a learning session for me. We hope to get the horizontal stab done in a weekend so I can come home with the abilities to know how to do everything. BUT!!!! I am not addicted to being in my garage so he suggested deburring anything i can. So I have been doing the ribs, and I used the grinder for the edges but I am using the tool you see in the picture to debur the circle cutouts, but now matter how much i do it still seems to be rough along the edges!

ANY SUGGESTIONS!? Am i using the correct tool?

(may i add that the edges are smooth as butter )

Thanks guys!

N527DH (reserved) RV-8

Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Hit the rough edges with some maroon scotchbrite or with a mini scotchbrite polish wheel. That will smooth them out. The deburr tool is only going to knock the rough edges down.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2020 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
Hit the rough edges with some maroon scotchbrite or with a mini scotchbrite polish wheel. That will smooth them out. The deburr tool is only going to knock the rough edges down.
Thanks man! Helped alot

N527DH (reserved) RV-8

Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Ian, I applaud you for getting an initial building-session lesson from your friend. That will really increase your confidence in moving forward.

My only advice is to really take the time to visualize--in your "mind's eye"--each step you are taking and several steps ahead. Like in every great endeavor, you will imagine the whole thing many more times than you will actually do it. It's a great exercise, especially for a young mind, to build the whole airplane in your head. It doesn't require tools or parts, and there's more than sufficient information in the plans to give yourself hours and hours of quiet shop time entirely in the space between your ears.

That kind of visualization is useful in many areas of your life. Imagine your tests coming up in school while you're still at home. Imagine your golf swing. Imagine all the steps you'll need to take to get through college, and to become a commercial pilot. This is what Steven Covey calls "begin with the end in mind" and, the more detail you can train yourself to imagine, the better you will find you get at performing the correct steps of complex projects as if they are second nature.

My son and build partner Tyson is just three years behind you in school. I had told him about you last year when you got started. I'm glad to see you returning to your build. You're an impressive "kid" who is already taking on more than many men twice your age.

Read Rinker Buck's autobiography "A Flight of Passage" about his and his brother's cross-country flight in a Cub. Our hobby is increasingly owned by old men, but it's history was young guys like you, and it's future will be too.

Work hard. Have fun. Be safe.

--
Stephen
Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherson View Post
Ian, I applaud you for getting an initial building-session lesson from your friend. That will really increase your confidence in moving forward.

My only advice is to really take the time to visualize--in your "mind's eye"--each step you are taking and several steps ahead. Like in every great endeavor, you will imagine the whole thing many more times than you will actually do it. It's a great exercise, especially for a young mind, to build the whole airplane in your head. It doesn't require tools or parts, and there's more than sufficient information in the plans to give yourself hours and hours of quiet shop time entirely in the space between your ears.

That kind of visualization is useful in many areas of your life. Imagine your tests coming up in school while you're still at home. Imagine your golf swing. Imagine all the steps you'll need to take to get through college, and to become a commercial pilot. This is what Steven Covey calls "begin with the end in mind" and, the more detail you can train yourself to imagine, the better you will find you get at performing the correct steps of complex projects as if they are second nature.

My son and build partner Tyson is just three years behind you in school. I had told him about you last year when you got started. I'm glad to see you returning to your build. You're an impressive "kid" who is already taking on more than many men twice your age.

Read Rinker Buck's autobiography "A Flight of Passage" about his and his brother's cross-country flight in a Cub. Our hobby is increasingly owned by old men, but it's history was young guys like you, and it's future will be too.

Work hard. Have fun. Be safe.

--
Stephen
I really don't know how to respond to that! Thanks for such a positive message and I am humbled to know you have followed my progress. I have never once thought of this build or my flight story as a selfish act, I always went into these things hoping to give other young people the determination to try it out for themselves (ie. my website). I hope you the best and hope your son a bright future as well! I will read that book as well. I hope to keep in touch with you and if your son ever needs some young advice in aviation do not hesitate to ask, that is my whole platform for aviation. Thanks again I truly was moved man!

N527DH (reserved) RV-8