- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:01 PM

Default Difference in RV's

Hey guys , I am currently looking into buying a RV,, don't know whether I want a side by side or tandem, but I noticed that RV6's can be picked up very very reasonable,, my question is, what is the differences in the RV6 vs. RV7, I have flown in a buddies RV7 and landed it and all. just wondering is there any noticeable flying and or other differences, thanks.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 PM

Default What is the differences in the RV6 vs. RV7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongurley View Post
Hey guys , I am currently looking into buying a RV, what is the differences in the RV6 vs. RV7.
The RV-7 is basically an RV-6 with RV-8 wings! The RV-7 has a few refinements but is almost a clone of the RV-6 as far as performance and feel.
IMHO if you really want a side by side RV, I'd suggest (because of price) going with the RV-6, "there ain't a chew of tobacco difference" in the two airplanes!

Hope this helps,
830 Hrs & "Climbing?!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Default Head room

I also understand that the 7 has more head room than the 6. If you're tall that might be a consideration.

Tom
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 12-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
I also understand that the 7 has more head room than the 6. If you're tall that might be a consideration.
I understand that the 9 is taller too. But I've never noticed....the gain.

L.Adamson RV-6
Old 12-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Tom
The floor is lower - and the gap between the instrument panel and sub-panel is bigger so messing with the avionics and instruments is easier.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM

Default Head room

Quote:
I also understand that the 7 has more head room than the 6.
According to the Specs on Van's web site, The 7(A) has 41" and the 6(A) has 39.5". BUT, they are measured from different points! Apples and oranges? Who really knows?? I've flown 6's, 7,s and 9's and IMHO you really can't tell the difference!

Hope this helps,
830 Hrs & "Climbing?!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:42 PM

There are two significant usability differences: the 7 carries four more gallons than the 6, and something I think is quite important, Vne for the 7 is 230 MPH vs 210 for the 6. That's TAS, so it's real easy to blow through Vne on a quick descent from higher altitudes in the 6.

The 7 is a 9 fuse with 8 flying surfaces. The 9 fuse is a tad bigger than the 6.

John Siebold
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 PM

I live in NC also. I would be glad to give you a ride in a six. I will send you a PM with my number.

George
Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 PM

It also seems like the -7 can do aerobatics with 2 adults whereas the weight for aerobatics in the 6 is much lower so solo aerobatics seem to be all you can do within the limits.

I was looking at both the -6 and the -7 before I went family with a -10. Because of the weight limit, I was focused on -7.
RV-10 N331JH 3rd owner (First flew in 2005, #15 flying)
Northwest Regional 52F
Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongurley View Post
Hey guys , I am currently looking into buying a RV,, don't know whether I want a side by side or tandem, but I noticed that RV6's can be picked up very very reasonable,, my question is, what is the differences in the RV6 vs. RV7, I have flown in a buddies RV7 and landed it and all. just wondering is there any noticeable flying and or other differences, thanks.
This matter has of course been dealt with ad infinitum and is well documented in the archives. Go to the search button at the top of this page and search for "RV6 vs RV7".

The truth is that the RV7(A) is a completely different beast to the RV6(A) and is quite different in dozens of crucial features from the empennage forward. Beware of defensive RV6 owners who tell you differently.

The fact that the RV7 has a bigger wingspan, completely different structural wing carry-through, significantly higher gross weight, larger fuel capacity, and is designed for a more powerful engine, should immediately suggest that the difference between the models is very real.

The RV7(A) is also fully computer pre-punched compared to the RV6(A) which had only prepunched skins. All things being equal, this makes it easier for builders to achieve a higher level of alignment of componentry during fabrication which (once again....all things being equal) generally results in a noticeably superior finish.

And the large market price difference reflects all of this. However the RV6(A) is still a lovely, well balanced aircraft to fly and in many cases the significant used price difference makes them very good value indeed.