Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Default One shot how high Altitude, Temporary O2 in RV-8

Wonder if anyone out there could help me on this. I know there have been plenty of threads on installing oxygen in an RV 8 here, but I would like to see how high I can get my plane just once just to see how high it will actually go. I started looking around to see about renting O2 equipment, and yeah, you "can" rent it, but only with those cannulas thingy's you put in your nose. I've read here on VAF those are OK at 15000', but not higher and I would be afraid to go higher with them. I do have a full face military oxygen mask, but of course it won't attach to any of those medical oxygen rentals. Any ideas??

Last edited by donaziza : 11-15-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
Any ideas??
If you have a military mask and helmet, do you still have any hi friends in low places that could loan you a walk-around bottle from a compatible aircraft?

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM

Ask some of your mates....someone will have one. I suggest that you will get to 18000 and above so you will need a mask not a canula.

Make sure you are plumbed with a spare mask, most have two ports at least. You will not last long in the 20's without O2.

Make sure you have an oximeter on all the time above 18k and monitor it as much as your altimeter

Be aware that thermal changes may affect the canopy/windscreen joints. People have lost windows before at FL270 in a twin turbo IO540 RV10.

Take lots of pictures and post them here
Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 PM

Default Some paradoxes here

You can certainly safely use a canula to a little above 18,000. I use one in my sailplane routinely to 18,000.

But, can you fly above 18,000 anyway? There is virtually no doubt that your -8 can make it above 18,000. So if you actually want to find out how high it will go, you will need either an IFR flight plan and equipment, or a VFR waver.
In sailplanes, we have letters of agreement that make certain defined areas available for VFR waver, and a procedure for getting approval/clearance to use it.
Absent that, how are you going to get there?
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 PM

Now RV10inOZ has got me scared. I'm guessing the airplane "might" get to 20 or 24000, but do I have to worry about the canopy maybe shattering from cold?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
You can certainly safely use a canula to a little above 18,000. I use one in my sailplane routinely to 18,000.

But, can you fly above 18,000 anyway? There is virtually no doubt that your -8 can make it above 18,000. So if you actually want to find out how high it will go, you will need either an IFR flight plan and equipment, or a VFR waver.
In sailplanes, we have letters of agreement that make certain defined areas available for VFR waver, and a procedure for getting approval/clearance to use it.
Absent that, how are you going to get there?
Well, I thought I could tell ATC what I want to do, and if they can accept me, and simply go where they want me to go, Im in. ( I'm intrument qualified)

Last edited by donaziza : 11-15-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Editotial change
Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM

Default Walk around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
If you have a military mask and helmet, do you still have any hi friends in low places that could loan you a walk-around bottle from a compatible aircraft?

Paul
Tell me more. What is a walk around? I have a nice helmet with mask. It has been used in an L-39 and the audio is good. I don't think the O2 was used. What is the program for using these helmets with a portable bottle?

Sidenote: We bought the helmet from an "old guy" at our local radio control swap and shop. He said he used to wear it flying fish in a B-25. It is like new and does not smell like fish
Working on Fuse
O-360-A1A

1946 Cessna 120
Old 11-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Flight Levels

Don:

I was just on Weathermeister.com and it looked like the freezing level around Atlanta was in the 13-15,000 msl. range. Extrapolate that to FL220 which you might get in your plane, and I don't think your canopy will be any colder than the guys flying at 7-8,000ft. in the Northern Tier States and Canada.
"Bucket List" checkoff in progress!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannanj View Post
Don:
Extrapolate that to FL220 which you might get in your plane, and I don't think your canopy will be any colder than the guys flying at 7-8,000ft. in the Northern Tier States and Canada.
Its not the temperature that is the problem, but the change in temp. If you take off and its 75 or 80, then level off at 10 degrees, then you get loud pops and a big crack in the canopy
Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAV8R View Post
Tell me more. What is a walk around? I have a nice helmet with mask. It has been used in an L-39 and the audio is good. I don't think the O2 was used. What is the program for using these helmets with a portable bottle?

Sidenote: We bought the helmet from an "old guy" at our local radio control swap and shop. He said he used to wear it flying fish in a B-25. It is like new and does not smell like fish
This would be an example of a walk-around bottle.

You just plug a hose from your mask into one of these and turn it on. We used these in the AF. They are primarily found on larger crewed aircraft, hence the "walk-around" name.