Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 AM

Default The trials and tribulations of buying a flying RV...

I have been trying to get into an RV for about 4 years or so. I would rather buy and fly than build right now. I see myself building....but not in the next 10 years. Even if I did start building right now, I would not know what or how to build to support my mission.

I want to fly....and I want to fly an RV. I despise going to the local airport to rent the PA28 for $110 an hour. While I like flying, the Cherokee is slow, it's not available when I want it, and it's $110 per hour that could be going into my OWN airplane. Trips in the Cherokee are limited, not by my time, but by the FBO. I imagine owning your own airplane will involve headaches....but they are YOUR headaches and you can do something about them.

So, even given this buyer's market as they call it, I am finding the process of buying a flying RV difficult. Given the emotional bond between builder and airplane I can see why so many people have inflated prices. Maybe it's because the person really doesn't want to sell it, maybe it's because they are not in tune with the current market, maybe they think their airplane is better than it really is...

On the other hand, there are RV's very reasonably priced, but I find these RV's need exstensive work before I would be proud to show it to my local buddies who may already look down upon "experimentals".

There are RVs out there that I am not interested in because I prefer a different power plant or different options....maybe I am too picky. I was close to a deal last month but couldn't come to an agreement on price.

Then I found another one. I was very excited this week when I ordered a pre-buy inspection on a 7A that was advertised as a "9 out of 10" only to be very disappointed with the inspection report from my mechanic. I am now back to square one minus the cost of the pre-buy...

Thanks for letting me vent here.....if you know of a nice 6A or 7A for sale let me know.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 AM

aah! the elusive Premium RV equipped like you want at rock bottom price....good luck with that
Old 08-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Sounds like you are going though the normal trials and tribulations of buying an airplane.

No matter what the market conditions are the warning "Caveat Emptor" still applies. Along with "You get what you pay for." Oh, and "The sweetness of a low price fades quickly when the bitterness of poor quality is tasted".

If I can think of any more cliché's I'll let you know!
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
I have been trying to get into an RV for about 4 years or so. I would rather buy and fly than build right now. I see myself building....but not in the next 10 years. Even if I did start building right now, I would not know what or how to build to support my mission.

I want to fly....and I want to fly an RV. I despise going to the local airport to rent the PA28 for $110 an hour. While I like flying, the Cherokee is slow, it's not available when I want it, and it's $110 per hour that could be going into my OWN airplane. Trips in the Cherokee are limited, not by my time, but by the FBO. I imagine owning your own airplane will involve headaches....but they are YOUR headaches and you can do something about them.

So, even given this buyer's market as they call it, I am finding the process of buying a flying RV difficult. Given the emotional bond between builder and airplane I can see why so many people have inflated prices. Maybe it's because the person really doesn't want to sell it, maybe it's because they are not in tune with the current market, maybe they think their airplane is better than it really is...

On the other hand, there are RV's very reasonably priced, but I find these RV's need exstensive work before I would be proud to show it to my local buddies who may already look down upon "experimentals".

There are RVs out there that I am not interested in because I prefer a different power plant or different options....maybe I am too picky. I was close to a deal last month but couldn't come to an agreement on price.

Then I found another one. I was very excited this week when I ordered a pre-buy inspection on a 7A that was advertised as a "9 out of 10" only to be very disappointed with the inspection report from my mechanic. I am now back to square one minus the cost of the pre-buy...

Thanks for letting me vent here.....if you know of a nice 6A or 7A for sale let me know.
I think you asked your question and answered it in the same post!

Keep on looking--you will find your plane but most likely will end up paying more than you wish at this point.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM

It took me three airline trips to get mine and it was not perfect. In today's market it would be a throwback since it has steam gauges but I have flown far more places than many people every will with it. I had a chance to fly a 6A with a small Dynon in it and hardly even used that instrument..preferring the steam gauges for airspeed and altitude.

What exactly are you looking for and what is your expected price for that aircraft?

If you expect a show plane, you may need to rethink that. I suspect that you will gravitate towards a new flock of aviators (RV pilots) when you get your plane. You will be in a different league.

"On the other hand, there are RV's very reasonably priced, but I find these RV's need extensive work before I would be proud to show it to my local buddies who may already look down upon "experimentals"."

Personally, I ignore the viewpoint of people like that.

At my airport, several RVs are not painted. One is painted partially pink (think Pepto Bismol).

Keep looking although if you have been looking seriously for four years then maybe some adjustment in your selection process may be needed.

Last edited by Ron Lee : 08-27-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Umm...no...I was willing to pay fair market value. My post probably sounded like I was trying to swindle the best deal known to man. In fact...I thought the price I agreed to was pretty high but I was willing to go ahead because it was supposedly so nice. I won't go into the particulars but I wasn't trying to "steal" the airplane.

Am I looking for a good deal? Sure I am!! Just like the builder did when buying each piece of equipment. Am I willing to pay for quality? Sure am!! Am I willing to pay for percieved quality? No.

Let me also say that I wasn't the "judge" when it came to quality. I hired a respected, well educated mechanic/builder to be the "judge" and I respect that judgement.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:09 AM

Ron Lee...thanks for the encouragement. I just wanted to get this post out as I was venting and not articulating enough. I started looking 4 years ago but put that aside for personal reasons until about 5 months ago.

Just so you get an idea of what is in my head....I am looking for a 6A or 7A. I prefer an O-360, injected or carb doesn't matter. C/S or FP prop is fine but I don't want a wood prop. The panel is where most RVs differ. I have nothing against steam nor glass. Just a well thought out and attractive panel with good avionics would do the job.

The market for a 6A is typically $50-65k depending on equipment. Of course that figure will go up or down for extreme configurations. The 7A seems to demand $10-15K more even though they are essentially the same aircraft.

Think my numbers are skewed? I would love to hear opinions and see examples. I am here to learn....and I am grateful to have a forum where this is possible.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:52 AM

I've been looking a bit recently and it seems to me like your number is pretty close for something equipped with a fairly basic panel. Anything with extensive avionics and/or lots of glass tends to get much higher very quick.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Let me also say that I wasn't the "judge" when it came to quality. I hired a respected, well educated mechanic/builder to be the "judge" and I respect that judgement.
I have had several prebuy inspections and they are all over the map as to completeness, accuarcy, and objectivity. Most of the time you have to "read between the lines". Other times they have kept me from huge mistakes!

Good luck, great deals /great planes are out there.
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Default "Mechanic"

Quote:

Is your mechanic an RV guy? Other words has he owned or built one or otherwise involved? We had a bad experience with one who was new to experimentals and really no clue what to look for other than the engine...

The prospective buyer had hired him for a prebuy, and killed the deal on a really nice RV-6a because IMO he was scared of the word "Experimental"..

YMMV...

RV-7a 707DD Bot from David Domeier 12/01/11
Lycoming IO-360 Catto 3 blade Panel upgrade in progress

RV6a 18XP 1st flite 03/21/07 sold to Dale Walter 10/22/2011
Superior IO-360, Hartzell Blended, GRT/Dynon

Happily "autopaying" DR

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."

Mark Twain