- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM

Default Dynon AP v.s. Tru-Trak

Can anyone give me a detailed discription of there flying experiances provided you have flown behind both systems.

I really want a compairison of the systems. Not just your experiance with one or the other.

Thanks in advance!!!
I have changed my User Name to the correct spelling as it became availible. Please direct all correspondence to Weasel
Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM

Ok, not sure what you are looking for but I have flown both in my airplane. I posted a thread on my experiences a while back.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 PM

Default Thanks

I looked and searched this forum but somehow missed your post.

Wow! thanks for the link that was exactly what I was looking for.
I have changed my User Name to the correct spelling as it became availible. Please direct all correspondence to Weasel
Old 04-01-2010, 07:24 AM

Default Dynon's roll oscillations/wandering licked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Ok, not sure what you are looking for but I have flown both in my airplane. I posted a thread on my experiences a while back.
Jamie,

In all fairness, Dynon has just released firmware Ver. 5.3. It is supposed to address roll oscillations that some people have. I asked on the Dynon support forum if anyone installed 5.3 yet and tested the autopilot. The response was positive.

The Dynon autopilot is packed with features, and the price is right too. My only issue now is roll oscillations or wandering (depending on settings chosen). I'll be (hopefully) updating the firmware this weekend and testing out the improved autopilot performance. Crossing my fingers.
> 1,000 hrs tach.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 AM

Yep, the thing could work perfectly now. My experiences were early on. However, the autopilot didn't just oscillate with me...it didn't work acceptably at all.

I did fly in another RV-7A recently that had the Dynon AP installed. The performance in that plane was better than the Dynon AP in mine, but in my opinion it was still not up to snuff. To me ideal performance for an AP is:

1) Not being able to feel the AP in absolutely smooth air
2) having the AP correct smoothly but promptly when attitude is disrupted in turbulent air.
3) Maintaining altitude +- 10 feet.
4) Flying your GPS flight plan += 0.02 NM in smooth air.

His plane met none of those criterion.

We tried adjusting his "sensitivity" settings in flight. Bump one notch down and it would not hold altitude at all. Next setting up and you could feel every movement it made. It's almost as if it corrects too late.

Once back on the ground we swapped rides so I could show my friend how the Trutrak performed. "I guess I have more work to do on the autopilot", he said.

Looking at the latest Dynon manuals, it appears that they are still missing all of the tweaks and settings that the Trutrak has that allows you to customize the AP to your plane. Check out the manuals for yourself and look at the all of the tweaks the Trutrak has. Dynon has "Sensitivity" (gain) and "Torque" for each axis.

I honestly think a lot of the Dynon AP fans have simply not flown a Trutrak recently.

I will reiterate another difference between the companies. Unless things have changed, Dynon does not have an aircraft testbed to actually test their code...they rely almost entirely on beta testers to give them feedback. Not so with Trutrak.

Sorry, my intention is not to throw mud at an outstanding company (I have a lot of respect for Dynon and my EFIS and EMS continue to be my favorite instruments in my panel). These are only my personal observations.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:11 AM

I know you mentioned that you don't want responses of people that just flew one type. But here goes anyway. I had the dynon ap in my aircraft and had the same issues that jamie had. I was very dissapointed. I went and removed the ap and now have just the mounting brackets waiting for me to purchase a digiflightII (trutrak) system which will be tied into my 430w that I want to put in the airplane. Just go and read the post that Jamie put in, which it sounds you did and that is what happened to me. I want a sound system that will work for IFR, the DYnon system was NOT going to work for me, so I removed it.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Hopefully Dynon will continue to work on the AP. My guess is the Skyview is taking priority over there. Looks like the latest release helps some on the roll axis but does nothing for the pitch.

Like Jamie, I think Dynon is going to have to give the end user more control over the AP. Gain and Torque just ain't enough...

I put a AP74 in my panel since I already had a big hole cut for it but I have not installed servo's yet.

Dynon might be smart to take a look at the TT manuals and think about some of the things that TT allows the end user to tweak.

A good working AP will be key to making the Skyview successful and the algorithms and end user settings should be easy to port back and forth between the legacy and new stuff. The servo's are common between them after all. That being said, I think Dynon will get the AP out of diapers some day.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 11-01-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Thoughts on AP systems....

I started flying my plane with Blue Mountain EFIS/AP. Although not a Dynon, I believe that from a systems point of view they are similar.

I have sense replaced the AP with a TT.

I feel that there is an system level flaw with having the AP being dependant on the EFIS.

In the BMA system the smarts for the AP is in the EFIS. As software in the EFIS was changed the AP would preform differently. If the EFIS got upset or crashed the AP would go strange. I have had to grab the stick a number of time to keep the AP from pitching up and right back as hard as it could. Luckily it never did this with a passenger on board.

With the TT if the AP loose communication with the controlling device (EFIS or GPS) the AP continues on with a bearing and alt hold. The software is very mature in the TT and there are a lot of plane flying without any reported problem.

Dynon may preform well, but I still think there is an issue from the point of view of system design.

Kent
Canby, Or
Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Default Great Autopilot

I've been flying 43 years and have owned well over a dozen aircraft, all with autopilots. I have never experienced any autopilot that works as well a my TruTrack. It is the EFIS autopilot, but all of their a/ps are noted for reliability and functionality. TT support is there and always anxious to resolve any problems or questions. I've never had a problem, but have had a few questions. Lucas is great at TT.

Jerry Martin
N331RD
Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Agree about Lucas. If every company had a Lucas getting great customer service would never be an issue.