- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:25 AM

Default Panel upgrade

I'm looking for some advice on a panel upgrade. I recently bought a RV9A and live in Eastern New Mexico, right on the West Texas border, I'm looking for someone local or within a reasonable distance to install a dynon skyview or garmin g3x, still deciding on which. I would like to find somewhere that could install the whole system with autopilot servos, and the efis with probes and all. I'm not sure if can just update the current panel and remove some steam gauges or better to just install new panel, but hoping to find someone close that has the RV experience to know which is best and do it all for reasonable price for me. Thanks a bunch for any and all info.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 AM

Take it to Walt at Northwest Regional (52F) He's an advertiser here, and a darn nice guy to boot!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:45 AM

I agree, "Take it to Walt at Northwest Regional (52F)". I have had Walt do several things for me. I have not been disappointed.
Guthrie-Edmond Rgnl, OK (KGOK)
________
Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 PM

I'm about 125 miles east of Clovis, and I too have used Walt. He is a pleasure to do business with and his price was very reasonable.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:50 PM

I appreciate the customer feedback, thanks folks!

Please feel free to give me a call or better yet, stop by and we can discuss. I currently have an RV7 and an RV8 in the shop undergoing full Garmin panel upgrades.

You can also have a look at my website for more info and some examples of previous panel upgrades.

Walt

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 02-01-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:18 PM

Default another option

Another option would be looking at Advanced's Quick Panel System built with Dynon SkyView's http://advanced-flight-systems.com/P...ick_Panel.html. Not sure if they offer one yet for the RV-9's though.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:35 PM

I think the OP is wanting to shop it out. But you're correct about the AFS QB Panels.... lots of happy people behind them
Old 02-02-2016, 07:53 AM

Thankyou for the feedback, I'm trying to keep my cost down as low as possible, with getting one single screen, I do like the plug and play panels my only issue is I've never have done my own electrical work on a airplane so as far as installing the panel and putting in the auto pilot servos and the engine monitoring probes I think would be out of my comfort zone. I'm sure I could figure it out, I'm just not to educated at how hard it really is, and all the avionics shops I've talked to are saying around 15,000 for them to install everything. For a RV that just sounds crazy to me. So any other info anyone may have on installing the plug and play panels or if anyone has done it and has pics of the process or videos would be awesome. I will give Walt a call until another option arises. Thanks again to all.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 AM

Default SteinAir

Give SteinAir Avionics a call and talk with them about them supplying the harness and you doing the install. They do great work and the install I,m doing going along well on my RV12 Good Luck
Old 02-02-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt Properties View Post
and all the avionics shops I've talked to are saying around 15,000 for them to install everything. For a RV that just sounds crazy to me.
In all honesty I thought that was crazy...

Then more than a month passed into my install of a g3x touch, with almost all the bells and whistles...as well as rectifying a good deal of pre-existing sub par wiring...then I understood where the "high" quotes came from.

Best of luck.

Paul
RV-4 / PA28-180