Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Allan - Although we have a fundamental difference in what I believe is acceptable for modifications and repairs of airframe components, our discourse has been civil, albeit a bit contentious at times. However, others on both sides of "the argument" have been less than kind. I hope I am in that 99.9%.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
Allan - Although we have a fundamental difference in what I believe is acceptable for modifications and repairs of airframe components, our discourse has been civil, albeit a bit contentious at times. However, others on both sides of "the argument" have been less than kind. I hope I am in that 99.9%.
....Yes Jon! You are definitely in that 99.9% and I commend you for saying what you believe. That is what makes this all work. Thanks, Allan...
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Allen,
I support you in the context that unsubstantiated insinuations have recently been made against you... inappropriate for the VAF forums, but I will also take the opportunity to point out that you are doing the same with the above statement.

I am not aware of a single NTSB RV "A" model accident report (the FAA has nothing to do with accident data reporting BTW) where the probable cause lists the nose gear design as faulty.
.....Yes Scott, you are correct and thank you for pointing this out to me as this was not my intention. What I intended to say was the incidents were documented by the FAA and that was where I got many photos and information I considered when trying to help prevent future incidents. Nothing I saw indicated the gear leg was faulty or for that matter the cause or even a contributing factor. The problem is mostly pilot technique and the environment that the gear legs were subjected to. The vast majority of small, fast aircraft with small wheels aren't landing on grass and golfer holes. Just think of what the statistics would look like if lancairs and Ceruses were landing where RVs land regularly. I in no way feel it was a design flaw or a blemish on the Vans organization and will defend them wholeheartedly. I sincerely wish to apologize for not stating this properly in my former post. I will attempt to edit and correct it. I don't want to be in that .1%. Thanks again, Allan.....
P.S. Below are the links to information that I was referring to when I made the incorrect statement.
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...06X01588&key=1

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2006/RV_study.pdf

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2006/RV_PHOTOS.pdf
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020

Last edited by PerfTech : 12-07-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 PM

Default Tail Reinforcing-M35 V-Tail Bonanza

My formerly owned N9859R had a reinforced V-Tail modification that made me feel only a little better about turbulence, and I cannot recall any reluctance on anyone's part to try to make sure these tails did not depart the aircraft.

But depart they did, and eventually the FAA took action despite many opinions that the original design was adequate and that the pilot induced the tail departures by exceeding the engineered design strength of the assembly.

I think Allan might be onto something here. My non-engineer view has been that IF there were any weaker area of my RV6, it would be the tail. Maybe it is the hours worrying about my Vtail, but it does cross my mind occasionally in rough air.

BTW I replace my 6 entire tail assembly after inadvertently decoupling the autopilot in cruise, stupidly, without holdng the stick, and I zoomed almost straight up because the trim was not where it should have been. The autopilot overcame that trim setting and I was not aware. It rippled the skins of my elevators, both, but the tail held on fine. The part Allan is reinforcing was not obviously damaged, nor did I expect it to be from that maneuver.

My replacing it all should help convey how important I think my tail is.

My 2 cents. Flame Suit On.

Montanamike
N918MB RV6 O-360
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 PM

Default V Tails

Deleted………………………………….
Working on Fuse
O-360-A1A

1946 Cessna 120

Last edited by DaAV8R : 02-16-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 AM

Default Vert. Stab. Mod. / AntiSplatAero

Allen, great speaking with you on Thur. 12/6 regarding your latest product, Vert. Stab. Mod. Received it on Monday installed that night, DONE in 30 minutes. You were right perfect fit for rivet and hole alighment. Plus you can just feel how tough this stainless steel is, I dont think I have a drill bit in the tool chest to put a hole in it.. This is all about peace of mind, in 10,000 hours you shouldnt see stress cracks in the Vans stock part. The mod is a no brainer as I continue the build. Thank you sir!!
Mark C. 119RV
Old 12-15-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
Allen, great speaking with you on Thur. 12/6 regarding your latest product, Vert. Stab. Mod. Received it on Monday installed that night, DONE in 30 minutes. You were right perfect fit for rivet and hole alighment. Plus you can just feel how tough this stainless steel is, I dont think I have a drill bit in the tool chest to put a hole in it.. This is all about peace of mind, in 10,000 hours you shouldnt see stress cracks in the Vans stock part. The mod is a no brainer as I continue the build. Thank you sir!!
Mark C. 119RV
...Thank you for the heads-up on the parts and we are glad to see you are pleased. If you or anyone else sees a way to improve any of the products or have a suggestion for a new one, please let us know. Thanks, Allan...
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 PM

I just stumbled across this part, and was wondering if it will cause any problems to a magnetometer/GMU44 mounted on the rear deck just forward of the vert stab.

I had some concerns about the strength of the vert stab attach bracket after I mounted mine, I don't think the bottom row of rivets has enough edge distance, and this seems to satisfy some of my concerns.
RV-7, SOLD
Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig600 View Post
I just stumbled across this part, and was wondering if it will cause any problems to a magnetometer/GMU44 mounted on the rear deck just forward of the vert stab.

I had some concerns about the strength of the vert stab attach bracket after I mounted mine, I don't think the bottom row of rivets has enough edge distance, and this seems to satisfy some of my concerns.
.... The stainless parts are non magnetic so I don't believe the would have any effect on your equipment. The standard bolts that are used in this area from vans are steel and don't appear to cause any problems, I think? Thanks, Allan....
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTech View Post
.... The stainless parts are non magnetic...
Not all stainless is non magnetic ...

BTW are you going to make a support bracket to reinforce the all aluninum horiz stab attach parts with SS. Ya know it might just break ...

Even the bird thought that was funny...

Last edited by MauiLvrs : 02-21-2013 at 09:33 AM.