Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 03:46 PM

Default Congratulations on the legwork, Tony...

....but don't lose another chance to buy just because it doesn't have everything you want...radios, gauges, autopilots and so on.

We bought our -10 knowing that it wasn't as IFR capable as I wanted, with only an SL-30, but the price was right. So we flew it several months and added a 430W in the winter and the Dynon HS-34 to 'tweak' it to suit us.

This winter, it'll get 'tweaked' some more with a TruTrak Gemini!

Take advantage of this 'buyers' market, get one that's sound and tweak it as time goes by,

Best,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:54 PM

Default Cost of RV6

First, let me assure you everyone that has bought an RV has gone thru the same problem! Next, the cost of the airplane is the least expensive part of owning one!!! I have an RV6A, never owned anything close to it, and I've owned quite a few airplanes. May have paid too much, but I've put another 20K in it since I bought it two years ago, and thinking of putting some more. Follow you bliss, you'll make the right decision. Don't major in minors, and you will make the right decision.

Jerry
N331RD
0320 160hp C/S
Old 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM

I bought a flying RV-6 8 years ago and still have it. I wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it was the best that I saw and best value while I was looking. It wasn't perfect, and I've done a few things to it in the intervening years ...

The point is you will be searching for a long time if you wait until your perfect airplane comes along. There will be many aircraft that fall way short of of the minimum standard you are willing to accept - that's why they're still on the market. The best ones never get advertised - the two best I saw were as a result of wanted ads. I bought the first and got the second for a friend.

Keep searching, keep asking around, don't lower your standards very far, but on the other hand be realistic. There are airplanes out there that will fit your requirements - but you must hear about them first and go look right away with the desposit in your pocket. Be prepared to walk away, even if you have taken an airline trip to get there. Good luck with your search, you won't be disappointed.

Pete
Old 08-27-2010, 04:58 PM

I wish I had your problems!!

I want an RV-6 so bad I can taste it!! But until I sell my current plane (Sonex) I can't afford to buy another. Well, at least that's what my wife tells me!!

I have learned a LOT from reading the responses to your post, and I very much appreciate all the comments. When my plane finally sells I'm going to set my expectations based on what I can afford in the existing market, find a good RV-6 at a fair price (to both seller and buyer) and as one poster said, go to the bank and not look back!!

Good luck with your search!!

Chris
Old 08-27-2010, 05:06 PM
fugio ergo sum

Default My experience

I helped someone look for an RV to buy. It was tough. We found a lot of the RVs were misrepresented or else the builder was in denial and just didn't understand what they really had. The buyer ended up with an RV-6 when they really wanted an RV-6A. Also the airplane was one of the very oldest RV-6s and the instrumentation showed it. Not everything was bad though. This RV, although old, was very solidly built and the paint job was actually still very good.

Since the purchase a lot has been done to the airplane. First the instrumentation was updated by the addition of electronic gizmos for older steam gauges. Some obsolete stuff was pulled out. Repairs were done and the control sticks were lengthened. Later the old panel was completely pulled out and replaced by a modern panel. Old fashioned gear leg and main gear fairings were replaced with modern ones. The owner earned their instrument rating in the updated airplane.

All of this happened over a lot of years and it was a lot of work. I'm not sure if that buyer is satisfied with the way it worked out, but they do seem to have considerable pride in the airplane and the costs were spread out. They didn't build it but they know it very well now and have invested lots of personal labor.

I think the most important lesson here is that they started with a very sound basic airplane.

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 PM

Default Helpful post

Very interesting to see the perspectives of both buyers and sellers.
I will be selling my RV-8 soon.
I have been considering 2 ways to list my aircraft.
Either price it a bit high and hope for an offer or price it right, cut through the chase and stick to the price.
The latter would save both a potential buyer and me the time to separate the wheat from the chaff. As a buyer I would appreciate not having to travel to see an overpriced aircraft and as a seller you would not have to deal with indecisive tire kickers.
Tony, maybe you can sort a lot of this out on the phone and just ask how a seller arrived at the price and you will quickly see if the price is hope or reality.
On the other hand you should let the buyer know that you have money burning a hole in your pocket and are ready to buy. This will let the buyer know that you are wheat not chaff.
Running on E10 mogas
Don't believe everything you know.

Last edited by N427EF : 08-27-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Good stuff guys....when I posted this in the morning the initial posts almost had me regretting bearing my soul. Since then, I have become comfortable with blatant honesty in my endeavor to purchase an RV that will suit me. Fate will decide the rest. If it is meant to be...it will be. (and I will try like **** to facilitate that)
Old 08-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Default Resale?

Tony,

Another thing to consider is that someday you will sell this RV and when buying you should think about that. The first thing right after quality of construction is paint scheme and quality IMO... I know of a few that have stagnated on the market because of a B... Ugly paint scheme and/or one that is amateur and shows it. Check out Barnstormers' ads and you'll see what I mean...

Most everything else can be upgraded or improved but bad exterior cosmetics not so much unless the price reflects stripping and new pro paint, about $9K

The FWF seems like everyone likes the O-360/CS Prop. If O-320/FP price should reflect same. Engine time since new or SMOH matters a lot...

Nice panel both in function and cosmetics helps a lot...

YMMV

RV-7a 707DD Bot from David Domeier 12/01/11
Lycoming IO-360 Catto 3 blade Panel upgrade in progress

RV6a 18XP 1st flite 03/21/07 sold to Dale Walter 10/22/2011
Superior IO-360, Hartzell Blended, GRT/Dynon

Happily "autopaying" DR

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."

Mark Twain
Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Tony,
One thing about experimental's is that no two are alike. I purchased my 8a about 18 months ago and this is what worked for me.
My opinion is, concentrate on a solid well built airframe, Low hour power plant, and a good prop.
The avionics, interior, and paint can all be changed. I bet 90% of the builders would tell you that they wish they would have gone something different or have made changes after they started flying.
Once you get your RV and start flying, you can make small and large upgrades as time and money allow.
I bought a plane with very basic avionics, and now after my 4th revision the panel is exactly how I want it.
The paint can be changed without a complete redo, its amazing what you can do with color changes and/or vinyl, and any auto upholstery shop can recover seats.
You can't look at to many planes, with everyone you will learn something new.
Good luck and enjoy you search.
RV-10 Purchased flying.. Panel upgrade complete.
G3X/Dynon/TT
All new interior complete.
Flyin like a dream.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 AM

I have seen more than one mention that there is no significant difference between 6s and 7s.

Aside from the obvious differences gleaned from Vans specs and performance pages any one with experience in both care to comment?

Milt Concannon