Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2009, 08:28 PM

Default Looking for places to take wife out west!

Finally have about 8 days off and would like to fly to wife in the RV6A to a couple of interesting places in Texas, New Mexico or Eastern Colorado. We are located in Fayetteville AR, 63 years of age, and want to see history, or just friendly people. Been to Alburquerque several times, thinking of Santa Fe. Can someone make some suggestions.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:45 PM

I know you stated you been to ABQ but I was thinking of doing the ballon festival next week.

Another suggestion would be Mt. Rushmore (a bit more north then you were thinking)?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 PM

Default Middle of No Where

I live in Wray, Colorado. We have lots of interesting sights. The feed lot, truck stop, and of course the airport. Our town located on the Eastern border of Colorado 7 miles from Nebraska. 2V5
Old 09-26-2009, 10:25 PM

Default out west

My suggestions would be Steamboat Springs, Co. If that airport does not look inviting, land at Hayden a few miles west. Or consider flying to Sedona, Az. Or fly into an east range airport like Fort Collins, rent a car and drive into Estes Park. We found a cabin on VRBO for three days on one trip this summer and had a great time. Or maybe fly into Durango for a few days.
Granbury, Tx
http://bit.ly/2bnimsZ
Old 09-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Just go a little farther.

She will love this place.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=43894

Sedona would be great but Sante Fe would be fun as well.

RV-10 N104XP (1280 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 09-27-2009, 11:59 AM

Default ABQ and CUT

I concur with Rallybum.
ABQ - If you have not seen the Balloon Fiesta, you have missed out on a very unique event. I flew the fiesta for nine years, and even as a participant, there were times where I would just take a look around and say "wow"!
The big issue for you would be trying to secure accommodations and a rental car. The Double Eagle Airport is just across the street, but I do not know if you can get a rental car there. Back in a past life, I used to fly a GA plane into KABQ, and the FBO's were always very accommodating to us.
When you are done there, it is a short flight to KSAF or just use your rental to drive.

Mount Rushmore - Fly into KCUT (Custer County) and arrange for a rental car. You can stay in Custer if you wish as it is closer to the airport (try the Dakota Cowboy for a great breakfast), but my wife and I recommend that you drive to Keystone for lodging. Neat western town with great hotels and restaurants. It is very close to Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park. You would pass the Crazy Horse Memorial on the way to Keystone, don't miss this during your stay.
Make sure you make time to talk with the KCUT airport mgr, Ralph. He is a great guy, AOPA and EAA member. Ask to see his Stinson restoration project as he is doing a stellar job.

Feel free to PM or email me if you would like more info on either of these places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallybum View Post
I know you stated you been to ABQ but I was thinking of doing the ballon festival next week.

Another suggestion would be Mt. Rushmore (a bit more north then you were thinking)?
RV-6 N506MM VAF #1410
2017 Donation Made
Old 09-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSchmidt View Post
She will love this place.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=43894

Sedona would be great but Sante Fe would be fun as well.

that's an amazing trip.
thanks for sharing.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:14 AM

Default Some thoughts

I'm rather sure we have met since I own an RV-6A and am also based at Drake Field in Fayetteville but maybe not. I have also been into Albuquerque many times including the balloon Fiesta and I never saw anything there that would make it worth a trip from Fayetteville just for tourism if you have already been there. New Mexico truly is enchanting to me anyway in other areas. Santa Fe is a charming place to visit with museums, shops and restaurants that I think is certainly worth a visit if you have not already been there. An area just a little ways north of there has an airport and a unique history - Los Alamos. The runway is built on a long finger of land created by an ancient volcano eruption much more like a carrier than Sedona. You land to the west and takeoff to the east - regardless of the wind. The Los Alamos National Laboratory is still there but there are no Lab tours to my knowledge. It is a fascinating place and there are museums that show the history of the town during WWII. To the west is an awesome caldera left by the ancient volcano eruption. It just looks like a pleasant bowl shaped valley with cattle grazing until you read the sign by the highway that says there was once a very large mountain there. South of Los Alamos is a park with indian cliff dwellings that is interesting to visit. To the north there is the town of Taos with a lot of tourist shops and a town square that you can spend some time in. I bought a wide leather belt there that I still wear with my Vans Aircraft buckle. North of Taos there is a visually impressive setting where a bridge crosses a deep gorge and the Rio Grande River. You can walk across it and it should not be missed if you are in the area. Northwest of Taos is the town of Chama where you can buy tickets and ride a scenic railroad into Colorado and return.

In Colorado not too far away is Colorado Springs. There you can visit the Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge and other interesting places. In Pilot Getaways a while back I saw that they have a restaurant made out of a C-97 there now.

In the southern part of New Mexico is an extremely historic place called Trinity Site that can only be visited two days out of the year - one in April and one in October. Arrangements can be made through the Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce. It is quite an experience to see the assembly buildings and the detonation site of the first atomic bomb.

If you go to AAA and get their Tour Books for New Mexico and Colorado you can plan a fully packed vacation trip. Flying over the area is informative but driving north from Albuquerque you can almost feel that this area is different - enchanted maybe.

Bob Axsom

Last edited by Bob Axsom : 09-28-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:09 AM

Default How far west?

..We've got some great things to see and do out west here in New Zealand!

Flying RV-7QB/ZK-NVS/Aerosport 0320/Dual AF3500s/PMA8000B/GNS430W/SL30/GTX335/TT ADIP II
Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Trinity Site

The Trinity Site is open this weekend, Oct 3, also first day of Balloons.

We're driving down to see some green glass (Trinitite) this year stopping at The Owl Cafe on the way back.

Park at E80 and we can pick you up.

This is the season to visit NM!

Steven Hild
Belen, NM
RV-7 N590SC (res), finish kit