camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Hey Wrongway -

I sent you a PM. That one with 35 hours isn't on Barnstormers anymore, unless I missed it.

George
Stan, the man that owned it, wrote me and said he sold it Wednesday to somebody out in NM. I didn’t think it would last much longer. That one looked really nice. There are others listed on Barnstomers for low forties, and nearly all have low hours on the AF, although from the pics, I don’t think that were as near as nice as this one was, and again, it only had 325 hours on a new engine, compared to most others going in the low forties seem to be coming up on nearly 2,000 hours since last overhaul.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM

Default 160 HP will do 200

My buddy Brian, went to 7500' DA a couple of days ago with his -4 and the new Catto two-blade. It turned 2730 RPM and the Dynon showed a TAS of 199 MPH. I asked him if he'd leaned it and he said no, so I figure he left 20 or so RPM and a coupla MPH on the table.

This prop picked up 6 MPh over the Sterba.

Regards,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM

I'm looking at 2 planes right now

1- IO-320 300 hrs SMOH Ported/polished Hartzell CS prop

2- 0-360 300hrs on new engine FP prop

2 is a little prettier but also more expensive .

I seem to be gravitating towards the injected CS option . I wonder if the P & P would make it closer to an O-360 power wise.

Any comments ?

I know I'll have a lot of fun with whatever I buy , even 150 hp FP ,but I'm obsessing over the choices right now !

Marc
Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 PM

Default 160 vs 180

Here's my two cents worth, I have a RV6A with Lyc 160 0320 c/s. Would not trade it for a 180 hp 0360. Flys side by side with the 180 on 2-3 gallons less per hour. I can maintain 1000+ climb through 10,000 on a cool day. I flew a RV4 for several hundred hours with a 150 hp. Wonderful experience, great airplane! Again, the best advice is listen to your heart and then to your brain, do what seems right.

Jerry Martin
N331RD
Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777drvr View Post

...I seem to be gravitating towards the injected CS option . I wonder if the P & P would make it closer to an O-360 power wise.

Any comments ?
Marc,

At OSH I spoke to one engine builder about the P&P and EI. He told me that on an O-320 a light P&P will add around 3 HP per cylinder.

Then when I asked about electronic ignition he said putting on a dual EI set up, it didn't matter which one, you can expect a 6% gain.

That adds up to right around 180 HP without compromising your TBO, according the gentleman I spoke with.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryab View Post
Here's my two cents worth, I have a RV6A with Lyc 160 0320 c/s. Would not trade it for a 180 hp 0360. Flys side by side with the 180 on 2-3 gallons less per hour. I can maintain 1000+ climb through 10,000 on a cool day. I flew a RV4 for several hundred hours with a 150 hp. Wonderful experience, great airplane! Again, the best advice is listen to your heart and then to your brain, do what seems right.
A different experience here............... in a way.

I have a 180HP C/S RV6A. A friend has a 160 HP C/S RV9A. As a general rule, I prefer to fly to the destination faster, and do take more fuel as a result. He fly's to conserve fuel. My 6A will climb faster, and outrun the 9A at full throttle.

Last week, the 9A owner flew my 6A on a cross country, while someone else flew his. He flew my 6A with fuel conservation in mind, as he fly's his own plane. And both planes flew together. When they re-fueled, my 6A actually took less than the 9. This goes to show, that a 180 throttled back, can really sip fuel at the rate of the 160..............yet has that full throttle advantage if you want it.

Moral of the story................... use a 180!

L.Adamson ---- RV6A
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 PM

Default no bull

If you really want to know who is faster and by how much. Look up that data for top speeds that was listed on this forum last week. I think the averages are listed too.

Chris M. RV-4 stock 160 hp
Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 AM

Default One other consideration, Mark..

...is how many high altitude airports you plan on flying to. I know that Mel, our resident DAR, has flown out of Leadville, Co. on 150 HP. on a 10,000+ DA day.

That's where the extra horsepower comes in handy, as well as our 100 degree Southern days.

Either airplane will be enjoyable.
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
...is how many high altitude airports you plan on flying to. I know that Mel, our resident DAR, has flown out of Leadville, Co. on 150 HP. on a 10,000+ DA day.
That's where the extra horsepower comes in handy, as well as our 100 degree Southern days.
Either airplane will be enjoyable.
That would be 13,000'+ DA, Warnke wood prop, and the engine had over 2500 hrs on the clock. .
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Default Not to change the subject, but...

Who did the overhaul on #1 ? How confident are you in that engine ?
#2 is 300 SNEW factory engine ? That may be more of a factor than performance. In addition, which model Hartzell and what ADs are on it ? Recurring ?

A factory low time engine with FP prop is about as low maintenance an airplane as you can get. Your quality of life will be very high with this combo.
If you feel really confident in the quality of #1, then you might get a bit better OVERALL performance with that combo (cg range, fuel comsumption, etc.).

I doubt you will be disappointed in any case. Good luck with your search and take your time !!! You're likely to have this airplane for many years.

John