-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:31 PM

Yep. 6 is climbing to 16V and popping the CB. Sense voltage is steady and consistent with the engine not running.
Pulled the teg this evening. Going to BandC Monday.

Last edited by ExtraKatana : 04-17-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:50 PM

Default schematic

You know, a schematic of the electrical system around the reg and alternator would be helpful. We are all assuming it is what we think it is, but only a schematic would make all our visions correct. You know what they say about assuming....

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 85% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 04-18-2021, 09:38 AM

I had this same issue last year when my Plane Power died and I replaced it with a B&C - my initial run tests and flight tests, and all the troubleshooting followed yours exactly. Eventually I ended up at the hangar with one of their guys on my phone, and I ran through all his troubleshooting requests with a multimeter with no joy. He said "Send back the regulator and we'll send you a warranty replacement."

I sent it in, they cross-shipped one to me, and I asked them to please let me know if the regulator bench-checked out OK - so that I would know for sure the problem was on my end. I never heard back from them, and the replacement regulator worked perfectly.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:24 AM

Default Bus Voltage HIGH

These regulators have a series power transistor from bus to field that is driven to provide the appropriate field current. That transistor is the one mounted on the case, and is a stressed device. When they short out (A common failure mode, which for example can occur by over heating of the transistor) the regulator shoves maximum current into the alternator, which is exactly how this kind of over voltage behavior can occur.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:09 AM

Default Bad regulator

sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and replace something. Installed a new LR3C Dash 14 and a five minute idle has voltage rocksolid at 14.3 V. I guess I’m within that 10% that experienced a problem but didn’t wire it incorrectly. I learned however and thank you for your help.

Last edited by ExtraKatana : 04-24-2021 at 11:40 AM.