What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CFIs - Would you provided transition training if you were allowed to do so?

CFIs - would you provide transition training in RVs if the FAA allowed you to do so?

• Yes

Votes: 36 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

RV8R999

Well Known Member
I'm interested in the number of RV CFI's who would be willing to provide their expertise in training others if the FAA would allow them to do so.

More to it...

There are issues beyond the FAA "allowing" training. Liability and insurance are a problem for geezers like me with quite a bit to lose. I would need to prove that I could earn enough to cover the additional expenses. I'm not talking about profit, just breaking even. Being based at an airport with a whopping two RVs, (one of them mine) and none in process that I know of, doesn't make for an attractive business plan.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

There are issues beyond the FAA "allowing" training. Liability and insurance are a problem for geezers like me with quite a bit to lose. I would need to prove that I could earn enough to cover the additional expenses. I'm not talking about profit, just breaking even. Being based at an airport with a whopping two RVs, (one of them mine) and none in process that I know of, doesn't make for an attractive business plan.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

John is right on the money here. I thought long and hard about even applying for the LODA because of these issues. After all, I am on a fixed income now!:eek:
Your insurance costs will go up, even though you will probably be the PIC for all of the transition training flight sessions you give. Wear and tear on your airplane is another issue. The first transition training sessions I gave put 15 landings on my airplane in two days. I normally make 15 landings in two or three months! Hard on brakes, wheelpants, etc. I talked with Alex DeDominices about these issues before I applied for the LODA. I got my transition training from Alex, and it was the best money I spent on the project. I enjoy the instructing and I like the feeling of giving something back to aviation.

Great topic

Moving from high performance GA aircraft like small twins, Bonanzas, Comanches etc, to an LSA, such as an RV12 is an interesting adventure as well. Transition training becomes important going up or down in speed and complexity because the aircraft behave differently. I think CFI transition training both ways is a super idea. Good plan.

Back