What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eyeball Vents

Experimental Chaos

Well Known Member
OK, I’m about to order a set of eyeball vents from Stein, and I believe I’ve read all the archived posts, but can find no real Consensus as to what size. I’m building a RV-7 slider, and live in California, and my main concern is HEAT, as it’s not at all uncommon for summer temps to get over 100⁰ F. any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

In general for the side by side airplanes people typically use the smaller vents, although the larger ones fit fine as well. Not that they are both fed by the same 2" tubing. The smaller ones will have a narrower "stream" of air that is of higher velocity whereas the bigger vents have a larger stream of air at a lower veloctiy. We sell about equal number of each in the end, so it's kind of personal preference. I like to aim a higher velocity stream of air at my face or chest, but others prefer the lower velocty streams of air....just a personal choice.

Cheers,
Stein

Eyeball vents

Mike,

As Stein has said, it's all about personal choice... However, here in Houston Texas, combine the heat with oppresive humidity and you have a very uncomfortable cockpit environment. I use (and highly recommend) the LARGER VENT openings. In this environment, the larger vents will blow a large volume of air over a bigger area than the smaller vents. Also, keep in mind that the velocity of air entering the cabin while flying along at 150-plus knots will feel more than adequate using the lareger vents. I usually only need the vents open all the way when flying below 5K feet even during the summer in Texas. Once you get up to altitude, the temperature of the air becomes more important than the velocity of the stream.

Good luck.

Victor

Get the big ones if they will fit. The more the better.
You can alwase close off the NACA duct in the winter.
:eek:

I have Stein's big ones

and they work great in Las Vegas. Plenty of velocity in the air, sufficient on the ground.

The vents are only half of the problem. Once the air comes in, you must now provide a place for it to leave. The best place is in the low pressure area just past the highest part of the canopy. By having it in the center up there, it will make the air flow past your head where you give away the greatest percentage of body heat. And no, the air will not exit at the cutout around the elevator crossover, since that is an area of relatively higher pressure than in the cabin. That is why you will get cold air flowing forward in the winter.

I use the small ones, but...

Mike,

the larger vents will blow a large volume of air over a bigger area than the smaller vents. Also, keep in mind that the velocity of air entering the cabin while flying along at 150-plus knots will feel more than adequate using the lareger vents.Good luck.

Victor

I was getting ready to tell you how much I like the small ones that Stein sells. But, having read the threads I can actually see where the larger ones might be preferred. I live in Kansas where summer temps are typically close to and on some days above 100. I don't think the larger ones would provide more air than the smaller ones, however like was said here, the larger ones spread that volume out over a larger space. This may actually be more comfortable. The small vents push out quite a stream of air which can, of course, be positioned away from directly blowing into your face. Also, they are small and easy to "tuck away" on the panel.

Perhaps it depends on how you fly. On a hot day, I'll just grab some altitude. It usually doesn't take much to get into cooler air. Also, I don't mind the heat nearly as much as the cold. Hind sight, I would still do the smaller ones. And, those Stein vents are Top Quality.

Mike,
The larger, the better. A friend of mine has the smaller one and it seem you have to point them at yourself to cool off, but the issue with that is that the cold air (high up) hit you at one spot and becomes very uncomfortable.

The wider opening the more gets spread I guess and becomes less annoying if it is pointed at you.

Good luck

Back