What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-start inspection

Veetail88

Well Known Member
I have a new IO-360 hanging on my project that I'm very close to starting for the first time.

Trouble is, I've had it for over 3 years and shamefully, have not treated it with the respect I should have.

It's been in a heated hanger, but I was not faithful at re-drying the desiccant plugs. I tried re-fogging the cylinders once, but that didn't seem to go very well. I have been careful to NOT rotate the crankshaft, although with the prop on, it has been inadvertently wiggled maybe 5 degrees back and forth a few times. I HAVE looked inside the cylinders with a bore scope and what I can see looked ok, but without turning the crank, a couple of pistons were near the plug holes so I couldn't see much in there.

I HAVE NOT, filled the crank case with any type of oil during this period.

The motor was built for me by Mattituck, and of course, they fogged/pickled it prior to shipment, but that's it. I live in the Midwest, humid summers, dry cold winters.

Do I have much to be concerned with?

I'm thinking I'd like to pull a jug to take a look at the crank and cam shafts. Is this a good idea? I do have an A&P with IA in the hanger that would help me with this?

If so, I assume it wouldn't matter which jug to pull, and would pick the one that's easiest.

Any feedback appreciated, except of course scolding me for not having done a better job of taking care of the motor. Huge investment, I know. :(

engine

You are going to have differing opinions on your question and I'll respect them all. Considering the circumstances of the engine since it was delivered to you three years ago, especially since it was properly prepared for storage by Mattituck, I'd put clean oil in it, squirt some engine oil in the cylinders, rotate the engine several times with the plugs out, put them back in and crank it up. Don't run it on the ground any more than necessary. Get it in the air and keep it above 2500 to 2600 RPM for the first few hours. I'm sure it will serve you well.

No way I'd pull a jug off! You'd be surprised how little difference it makes to sit around as long as the engine is not exposed outdoors.

I had a 40 year old Comtinental O-300-C that sat outside for 5 years without starting and after putting a new carb on it, it cranked right up and ran great. Every situation is different, but I think you don't have much to worry about. Previous advice to crank it up is spot on.

Jesse,

I was in the same boat with mine, it sat for longer then your's has.

The local shop who did the rebuild had a look at it for me and told me it looked as good as it did when they did the overhaul. He jokingly said "you weren't storing it in salt water were you, If not I wouldn't worry too much".

I started it a couple of weeks ago and it runs like a top. Like Scott says, light er up and enjoy the noise.

You are going to have differing opinions on your question and I'll respect them all. Considering the circumstances of the engine since it was delivered to you three years ago, especially since it was properly prepared for storage by Mattituck, I'd put clean oil in it, squirt some engine oil in the cylinders, rotate the engine several times with the plugs out, put them back in and crank it up. Don't run it on the ground any more than necessary. Get it in the air and keep it above 2500 to 2600 RPM for the first few hours. I'm sure it will serve you well.

DO NOT take any cyls off! Do what said above and move forward. Only thing to add would be after squirting some oil in the cylinders, pull the plug wires, spin the engine with the starter until you get a little oil pressure. Then fire it up.

Engine on my -8 came off a plane that had been sitting in a dirt floor hangar in South Houston area for several years with no protection. When I tore it down, I found *zero* corrosion. You have nothing to worry about.

2 cents worth of free Internet advice...

Thank you folks!

And the feed back is unanimous! This might be a first!

I really appreciate the feedback. Guess I'll not worry about it, gas her up and light the fire! After just a ...short... list of things to wrap up first! I think in a couple weeks, that means more like 6 probably. I've found the 3 times rule applies to airplane time at least. Maybe 4 times.:eek:

Back