What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Kit arrives on 4/12

bruceh

Well Known Member
Got a call from FedEx freight that my 9A fuselage kit will be delivered on Monday. I ordered this before 2/1/10 to beat the price increase, so that works out to exactly 10 weeks lead time.

Great timing because I'm ready this weekend to put the final rivets in the flaps, and just need to finish up rigging the control rods and pitot plumbing. Wing tips and bottom skins can wait for later.

Pitot tubing?

So did you use plastic or aluminum for Pitot tubing?
I'm about two weeks behind you.:D

Got a call from FedEx freight that my 9A fuselage kit will be delivered on Monday. I ordered this before 2/1/10 to beat the price increase, so that works out to exactly 10 weeks lead time.

Great timing because I'm ready this weekend to put the final rivets in the flaps, and just need to finish up rigging the control rods and pitot plumbing. Wing tips and bottom skins can wait for later.

Just finished the left wing

For what it's worth, I decided to go with Dynon's AOA/Pitot and plumbed the left wing with the SafeAir1 plastic tubes. They went in the 3/4" conduit from Van's easily, along with the landing light wire. The conduit, on the other hand, took about 4 hours to wiggle through each rib, one conduit ring at a time. Whew!

I've got the Dynon AOA pitot (non-heated) and the Safeair mast and
pitot/AOA kit going in the wing. I'm using the snap bushings in the stock
location for the plastic pitot line and another hole next to that for the AOA line.

I pulled the conduit in my wing this week. It took all of 15 minutes to do both
wings. You guys are being way too gentle. Put a couple of fingers on either
side of the conduit hole you are pulling through to keep the rib stable, then
grab on the conduit and give it a big pull. Once it starts to stretch a bit, the
diameter decreases a bit and it slides right through. Sounds horrible, but
absolutely no damage to either the ribs or conduit.

I finished it off by putting a ring of proseal around each conduit/rib connection with a syringe and it isn't going anywhere.

If I had pulled that hard it would have folded the rib in half. Mine was a nasty job as well. I had blisters on both hands and took forever to get it through all the ribs. The ones under the wing walk were especially fun. Maybe Van's bought the conduit from more than one supplier and some of it is slightly larger. I still have the other wing to do.

Back