What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unhappy Exhaust Valve

This one looks OK for a cheap model..

41nN30iRh-L.jpg

$37.89 at Amazon clearing house...

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Inspection-Microscope-Borescope-Endoscope/dp/B007ROP3FO

Most of the reviews seem to suggest it might work OK for our use.

Dry lifter valve clearances

I've seen this on several low time kit engines and it was most likely caused by really tight valve to rocker clearances holding the valve open at higher rpm causing it to burn over time. I've found several to measure less than .020 dry.

Check this video from Ted Chang that posts on here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq0H_yqSuGw&list=UUlwJxEln-e_9ZIKIKKJpZqg

Since we've slid into talking about borescopes, my first 'cheap' try is a fail.
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-IntraO...=1357397729&sr=8-6&keywords=intra+oral+camera

The focal length is way too short. Now that I have it, it says that the focal length is 1cm~3cm. It is really exactly 1cm which I find just doesn't work in the cylinder even though the head does actually fit in the sparkplug hole without modification. Time for the next try...

I've seen this on several low time kit engines and it was most likely caused by really tight valve to rocker clearances holding the valve open at higher rpm causing it to burn over time. I've found several to measure less than .020 dry.

.028 is the bottom limit. I don't think a valve could stretch far enough or seats to wear to take up that much difference, assuming the engine was put together right at the bottom limit.

Check pushrod lengths

Randy makes a good point. I recently replaced the ECI group B cylinders on my Mattituck engine. When we checked the dry tappet clearances I needed to swap the pushrods from -30 to -34. The engine shop thought that was quite unusual as an O-360 normally takes -34 to -36.

Granted that is a larger push rod, so not necessarily the problem described but if you have not checked them since changing cylinders I would definitely suggest that you do.

Cheers

Jim, I have not tried the focal length out at all.

I was after it for its skinny shaft diameter. Not used it enough yet to see what the limits are.

Since we've slid into talking about borescopes, my first 'cheap' try is a fail.
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-IntraO...=1357397729&sr=8-6&keywords=intra+oral+camera

The focal length is way too short. Now that I have it, it says that the focal length is 1cm~3cm. It is really exactly 1cm which I find just doesn't work in the cylinder even though the head does actually fit in the sparkplug hole without modification. Time for the next try...

I picked up a Snap-on BK-6000 on ebay last year have been happy with it I check the inside of my cyls at every oil change 25 hrs. The BK-5500 is a good scope also.

John

Just a quick update:
Lets see, ECI has had the cylinder for 20 days now and has still yet to look at it at all for warranty evaluation. We've been on the phone with them every few days recently, getting nothing but the run around. "We're behind." is what I got today. I'm a very unhappy customer right now. We'll see if they eventually come through. This info is so that others may manage their expectations.

Just to close the loop, we're back in the air for the first time as of yesterday. It took me just a couple of hours to have the cylinder off and shipped to ECI for remediation. They had it on 1/2/2013. They confirmed that they still hadn't looked at it on 1/23. After a number of heated telephone conversations, I got it back on 1/28. The verdict was that some deposits found their way under the valve. I didn't care, just needed it back.
It took me 7 very leisurely hours at the hangar on a perfectly beautiful Friday to re-install and reassemble the airplane. I flew it for a half hour over the field yesterday before pulling the cowl for a check. All happy now. We'll do some more today to extend the reliability proof that only comes with time. So, 27 days of downtime. That is an eternity for us, we fly over 200hrs/yr. My contribution was around 10hrs for removal and re-installation. The rest of the downtime is courtesy of ECI. I would conclude that my service expectations were way off.

I know it's more likely that you hear about bad experiences since happy customers don't usually post, but I have seen so many unhappy people on multiple boards talking about ECI's poor turnaround and customer service, that I will avoid them at all costs! Thanks for the update and glad you're up and running again.

... I will avoid them at all costs! Thanks for the update and glad you're up and running again.

Me too (on both counts)!
Got another 2hrs on it today with nothing but smiles. Ahh, life is better.

Thread creep coming...
Interesting take on the whole ECI cylinder AD subject from Mike Busch in the latest issue of Sport Aviation ("Separation Anxiety")

Erich

Back