What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount dyna 1 or dyna 2? 320/360

Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Guys - I am about to order finish kit - finally (-4)

I am a little stumped on engine mounts. As far as I know, for the most part, the parallel valve O320 and O360 engines use the same mount. What I can't seem to find, (I am tired for the record) is whether I need a dyna 1 or dyna 2 mount. I was originally wanting to go 320, but I want to have the option to go 320 or 360.. when I am ready for FWF.

I know it's a chicken and egg thing, do I buy the engine first and build the mount around the engine, or buy the finish kit first, and then find an engine that fits. I am doing the latter...

So - dyna 1 or 2?

Gregg

Dynafocal 2 is rather rare

I am a little stumped on engine mounts. As far as I know, for the most part, the parallel valve O320 and O360 engines use the same mount. What I can't seem to find, (I am tired for the record) is whether I need a dyna 1 or dyna 2 mount. I was originally wanting to go 320, but I want to have the option to go 320 or 360.. when I am ready for FWF.

I know it's a chicken and egg thing, do I buy the engine first and build the mount around the engine, or buy the finish kit first, and then find an engine that fits. I am doing the latter...

So - dyna 1 or 2?

Gregg

Greg,
All single engine Lycomings use the Dynafocal 1 system. Dynafocal 2 is used on a very small number of Lycomings used on twin engine aircraft. The difference is in how far the engine is mounted from the firewall [different mounting angle]. Best to get the engine first. That said, you can safely order a Dynafocal 1 mount. That's because, even if you buy one of the [rare as hens teeth] Dynafocal 2 engines, it can be converted to Dynafocal 1 by sending the crankcases to Divco for conversion.

Charlie

Dynafocal 1 is more common, I believe the type 2 was mostly limited to special cases like the twin commanche. There are plenty of older conical mounts out there was well, however the case could be machined to a dynafocal mount if absolutely necessary I believe.

I have also heard that vans sells different mounts for the
320 vs 360 due to weight differences but people have used either mount with either engine.

Chris

So - dyna 1 or 2?

Gregg

Dyna 2 is now only available as a special order because it is so rare, so maybe that will help you decide.

Go Dyna 1, Gregg. Especially if you're still looking at the possibility of picking up a core from Air Plains like you mentioned previously. Those 320's all come off Skyhawks and are all Dyna 1's.

Back