What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repaint Cowling and Spinner

swjohnsey

Well Known Member
I have a RV-4 that first flew in '90. I am the third owner. It doesn't look bad but the top and bottom cowlings are looking a little bad. They have been touched up over the years, looks like the bottom has been repainted. There is some surface cracks and crazing. The paint on the wings, fuselage, etc. looks pretty good.

I want to paint top and bottom cowling and spinner. I need some advice. Strip it down? If so how. I heard stripper for fiberglass has changed. I have heard of soda blasting. If I get it stripped does it need to be primed and with what.

I'm not looking for a show plane, but I want to do it once right.

N399M Serial # 999 used to be N32KL and then CFNEF

I want to paint top and bottom cowling and spinner. I need some advice. Strip it down? If so how.

Sounds like a good candidate for a weekend of sanding. (In general, you don't use chemical strippers on fiberglass.) Maybe sand the big surfaces with an air powered DA sander, and hand sand the odd shaped areas. The idea would be to remove all of the cracked material down to the fiberglass, then re-finish from there.

Here's a link to a very informative thread on fiberglass, including finishing techniques:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22931

Lower cowl

Just had my lower cowl repainted. Sanded the old paint off, not completely down to the fiberglass but just so the shine was gone and surface even and smooth. Took it to the paint shop and finished it.

Original Builder

I knew the original builder, Dr. Keith Livingston - if you want to know about it, give me a call at (559) 816-0433

David Howe
Harmon Rocket II S/N 002

Paint removal by sanding, in particular given multiple coats over the years, is a a huge PITA. And I'm set up better than most, with lots of dry air, a good 6" random orbital, and a shop exhaust fan system to carry away the dust.

There is also all the problems brought on by cutting into the underlying glass...thin spots, pinholes, etc.

I'd love to hear about other methods.

Stan, that RV-4 cowl...where exactly are the surface cracks?

Paint removal by sanding, in particular given multiple coats over the years, is a a huge PITA. And I'm set up better than most, with lots of dry air, a good 6" random orbital, and a shop exhaust fan system to carry away the dust.

There is also all the problems brought on by cutting into the underlying glass...thin spots, pinholes, etc.

I'd love to hear about other methods.

Stan, that RV-4 cowl...where exactly are the surface cracks?

Mostly around the oil access door.

Back