Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Default Colorado PIREP KBJC KAEJ

All-

I'm flying the -10 out to CO next week, and am taking the CO pilot's Association mountain flying seminar and flight training next weekend.

The class is at KBJC. Looks like Signature is the only option on the field - any PIREPs?

My brother and I have a place outside of Buena Vista (he lives in Golden). I'm planning on flying in and out of there (KAEJ) sometimes to go to the cabin. Anyone know anything about temp hangars, etc?

What's the consensus on Denver area reliever airports? He lives in Golden, so BJC is the closest. I always used KLMO back when he lived NW of Boulder, but that's quite a drive from his place. What Denver area airports are GA/RV friendly?

Thanks in advance...
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V
Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 AM

Default KLMO

Vance Brand (KLMO) would still be my choice. Take 93 South and you're in Golden.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:05 AM

I had a good overnight at KBDU last summer. Just watch for the geese...
Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM

I have flown into Buena Vista for several years (family vacation spot). They are very accommodating, but hangar situation is hit and miss if it's available. They have a large nice hangar but in the past has been leased out to government contracts, etc.

Contact Jill, the airport manager there (I think she flies a Glasair) to check on their accommodations. They've made a lot of improvements, very GA focused. I highly recommend and look forward to going back many more times.

Never judge a man by his trim tabs.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:01 PM

Default Good on ya.....

For taking the CPA mountain flying course - it is one of the best in the region. Getting hot out here now. Temps in the 80s and 90s. Love flying to KAEJ but have not done it in a while.

KBDU - watch out for glider/tow activity as well as the geese.
KLMO - watch out for parachute jumpers
KEIK would be the next one, but that takes you a bit further east than you may want to be.

Those would be the closest options for you from KBJC. Contact EAA Chapter 43 leadership for possible hangar space in any of those airports in that vicinity.

PIREPS - Local Activity
Lookout Mountain (a few miles south of KBJC) watch out for hang gliders. I had to dodge a few of them myself a couple of weeks ago.

KBJC - looks like they are grooving runway 12R/30L on various days and times next week. This is the shorter of the two parallel runways. if you have to deviate to KAPA to the south for any reason, its main runway 17L/35R is being completely redone, and it is closed 24/7 until July. That still leaves two remaining runways available.

A lot of activity, including aerobatic flying, is taking place to the northwest of KBJC on a daily basis, including some NOTAMs for UAS.

So lots of local airport work going on, and lots of folks out flying. Head on a swivel and eyes outside the cockpit as much as possible is the best advice I can give for that area. Depending on when you arrive, you may be able to get clearance through the class B, but the preference for VFR aircraft is usually to route you around it. Lots of small class B sectors to the south and east with changing altitudes, so be familiar with that.

Have a great and safe trip.
EAA Chapter 301
CFII/MEI, ATP
SportAir Workshop Graduate x 4: Sheet Metal, RV Building, Electrical, and Composite classes.
Tail Wheel Endorsement Completed
Empennage done, Wings in progress, N462AK reserved.

Last edited by Flyin'Bryan : 06-16-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the input.

This trip it looks like I'll be based out of KBJC, as the course is there and we're flying out of there on Sunday.

We're going to fly in to KAEJ on Sunday as part of the dual, so I'll get some experience there.
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V