VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 09-17-2021, 04:20 AM
Sportquattro's Avatar
Sportquattro Sportquattro is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ivybridge UK
Posts: 67
Default Will Sky Echo II talk to G3X Touch?

Hi folks,

Does any knowledgeable person know if its possible to get a Sky Echo II to talk to and display ADS-B Traffic on a Garmin G3X Touch? Or if it can't display it on a G3X Touch if it will display it on Garmin Pilot iPad app instead?

I know it will work with Fore Flight and Sky Demon but I'm keen to use Garmin Pilot once the aircraft is flying (hopefully very soon)

Thanks in advance

Nige

RV9A G-CSAM @ EGTE 99% completed
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-17-2021, 05:15 AM
jliltd's Avatar
jliltd jliltd is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Rancho San Lorenzo
Posts: 1,338
Default

Almost certainly "no" on both accounts. Unfortunately. Garmin does not play well with others. Especially a direct competitor like uAvionix who makes the Sky Echo product. I know of no modern Garmin flight decks or navigators that interface with any third-party data link hardware. Only their own (GDL = Garmin Data Link). Notwithstanding the hardware interface, Garmin does allow it's GDLs to talk to Foreflight for traffic/weather and allows flight plan transfer with Foreflight in some cases. But that's all software with Garmin selling the hardware. Garmin will not allow any of it's products to take "in" data from any other make, including Foreflight and uAvinonix ADS-B units.
__________________
Jim Ivey
RV-8
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-17-2021, 07:12 AM
Sportquattro's Avatar
Sportquattro Sportquattro is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ivybridge UK
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
Almost certainly "no" on both accounts. Unfortunately. Garmin does not play well with others. Especially a direct competitor like uAvionix who makes the Sky Echo product. I know of no modern Garmin flight decks or navigators that interface with any third-party data link hardware. Only their own (GDL = Garmin Data Link). Notwithstanding the hardware interface, Garmin does allow it's GDLs to talk to Foreflight for traffic/weather and allows flight plan transfer with Foreflight in some cases. But that's all software with Garmin selling the hardware. Garmin will not allow any of it's products to take "in" data from any other make, including Foreflight and uAvinonix ADS-B units.
Thanks Jim, I had a nasty feeling that might well be the case but ever the optimist

Looks like Sky Demon or Foreflight will have to be the solution.

Thanks again

Nige
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-01-2021, 06:22 AM
gmcjetpilot's Avatar
gmcjetpilot gmcjetpilot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,738
Default

Garmin is the Apple of Avionics. Microsoft, Tesla, Apple and Garmin are proprietary with no right to repair....
__________________
George
Raleigh, NC Area
RV-4, RV-7, ATP, CFII, MEI, 737/757/767

2021 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-2022, 08:48 AM
Sportquattro's Avatar
Sportquattro Sportquattro is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ivybridge UK
Posts: 67
Default

At long last Garmin Pilot now works with SkyEcho2 👍🍾😁

Made the change from Sky Demon to Garmin Pilot and couldn’t be happier as Garmin Pilot talks to my G3X Touch as well which Sky Demon wouldn’t.

All we need now is for Garmin to allow G3X Touch and SkyEcho2 to talk to each other and we will be really happy 😃
__________________
Nige

Nigel Heald
RV9a G-CSAM @ Exeter EGTE UK
Finally finished
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-16-2022, 02:44 PM
HarryL HarryL is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Woking UK
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportquattro View Post
At long last Garmin Pilot now works with SkyEcho2 👍🍾😁

Made the change from Sky Demon to Garmin Pilot and couldn’t be happier as Garmin Pilot talks to my G3X Touch as well which Sky Demon wouldn’t.

All we need now is for Garmin to allow G3X Touch and SkyEcho2 to talk to each other and we will be really happy 😃
SkyDemon can talk to G3X but it has to do it via Garmin Pilot. Before ‘Go Flying’ in SkyDemon, select Share Route and send the flight plan to Garmin Pilot. You can then export it into the G3X. Works very well on my RV12.
__________________
Harry Lees
G-DOUZ. 120910.
115 hours so far. Loving it!
http://harrysrv.blogspot.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-17-2022, 05:21 AM
Sportquattro's Avatar
Sportquattro Sportquattro is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ivybridge UK
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryL View Post
SkyDemon can talk to G3X but it has to do it via Garmin Pilot. Before ‘Go Flying’ in SkyDemon, select Share Route and send the flight plan to Garmin Pilot. You can then export it into the G3X. Works very well on my RV12.
That's all very fine and dandy but why would you want to be paying two subscriptions (Garmin Pilot AND SkyDemon) just so you can export from SkyDemon to G3X Via Garmin Pilot ? Surely much better to simply use Garmin Pilot which from the first few flights I've done with it is much better than SkyDemon and talks to the G3X very easily.
__________________
Nige

Nigel Heald
RV9a G-CSAM @ Exeter EGTE UK
Finally finished
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.