What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Wrench & Crow Foot

Stalldog

Well Known Member
I'm ready to tighten my tank fittings and have only been able to find recommendations for using a torque wrench with a crow foot adapter. Since this causes an off center adjustment it has to affect the torque value setting of the wrench. I found this file from Gates that addresses how to make this adjustment. Basically just accounts for the increase in lever arm length.

http://www.gatespowerpro.com/resources/doclib/CouplingTorqueRecommendations.pdf

Also found this regarding alternate method for tightening.

http://chinookhelicopters.tpub.com/TM-55-1520-240-23-1/css/TM-55-1520-240-23-1_40.htm

Sort Of Kind Of But . . .

It might be close doing it that way, Don, but it will still be off. You're applying two moments about two different drive lines. Keeping it straight at least allows you to know what the adjusted torque wrench reading is supposed to be to apply the correct torque to the fitting. I know, I'm probably splitting hairs, which I have a tendency to do. :D

I used this method tonight on the tank bulkhead fitting and it ended up being a quarter turn of the 818.

Okidoke!

Well, fellers, without reading all 350+ posts on the subject, I will humbly bow to my superiors! :D

Good to know, and thanks for the link!

One nice thing with the 90 deg method is that you can hold the torque wrench anywhere on the handle. For the other cases you should apply the force on the spot on the handle that you used to measure the length.

It just seems like a no brainer to me. I have never had a situation where I could not do that, why fiddle with mathematics and introduce the chance of errors?
By the way, this comes in very handy when doing the landing gear service bulletin on the RV12 to torque the nuts on the channel cutout.

Last edited:
Opportunity

It seems to me this is a great opportunity for someone to design an electronic torque wrench and a line of attachments that are designed to work together where the wrench auto-recognizes the attachments/angle, etc and does the math for you!

I wonder whether Van wouldn't be doing the entire community a service by actually including a copy of 43.13 with the emp kit?

Back