What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Zero G maneuver for AOA calibration

Bugsy

Well Known Member
I am trying to calibrate my AFS AOA and looking for advise on the zero G maneuver.

Is the a best way to perform this maneuver? I tried slow flight and just shoving the nose over but the calibration didn't take.

I would think any ballistic push over would do. No need to be particularly slow. From cruise pull the nose up 30 degrees or so then push to zero g's and hold. You will get much more time at zero g's with more airspeed going in. Just start with the nose high so you don't have too much nose low when you finish.

I've found it handy to leave something loose in the cabin as a gauge. When it starts floating, there you are.

Don't let it get into the controls, though!

Dave

Suggest start at 120 or so

Already in calibrate zero g/lift mode,.... Pull throttle

Red button IN

then pull up and push over,...don't try to get on the edge of stall or slowed that much (say 70 or so)

As your pre-positioned piece of foam comes off the top of the panel,..hold it one second

RELEASE the red button,...

And then proceed to slow descending flight recording

Confirm all with slow flight and approach to stall,.... Try again if need be

What Wallace said, the key is to hold the red button and release it as your object (tennis ball, foam, loose passenger) starts floating.
Don't shove the nose over and go into negative Gs, just nice an easy to make it float.

Lenny

If you know someone who will lend you a G Meter, swap out one of your other instruments for the flight(s). I found it much easier to nail this using the G Meter than with other methods.

The second best method was to take a passenger, have them hold a tennis ball and tell you when it starts to float. As others have said, that is when you release the red button.

Depending on where you mounted your buttons, it can be quite a trick to hold the button, push with just the right pressure on the stick, while simultaneously watching for something to float.

AOA integrated in EFIS AFS3400, how to calibrate?

Hello,

I have the AFS AOA integrated in the EFIS, so the question is how to calibrate it there?

The manual only give information about the external AOA calibration, but not about the integrated one.

If anyone have the same setup than I, any help would be great.

Just prepare my brain to to it correct when in flight ...

The legendary Joe Kittinger flew many of the very earliest zero "g" flight tests ever. Apparently, he often used a tennis ball (as previously suggested) but in his case, he had it tied to a string and the string taped to the top of the canopy.

After pull up, he'd unload until the tennis ball floated and just hold it there. No need to get a passenger sick, although he did a bit of that too, I'm sure!

As another has stated, not for too long. Your oil and fuel systems are designed for best results at 1 "g".

Lee...

Maybe you could just rubegoldberg it, tennis ball to string to a lever that pushes the button when the ball starts floating. :D
Or microswitch in passenger's hat connected in parrallel with the red switch. Make sure seatbelts are off or at least loosened up.

Lenny

Perfect

Thanks for all the input. All good and valid advice. Including waiting for Bravo to float in her seat

Unstrap the passenger, when she starts floating, you're there.

kate-upton-si-swimsuit-issue-zero-g-2.jpg

Like this? :)

Back