What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight RV-9 N941WR

Congrats Bill! While it's always great to hear of first flights, it's even greater to hear it about people who have personally helped me in my project. I look forward to hearing more!

Way to Go Bill!!!

Congratulations!!
I knew you would do it any day now.
Looking forward to a first flight report
ENJOY :D

What a GREAT plane!

Radomir, thanks for posting those pictures and thanks to the rest of you for the congratulations.

To keep from repeating myself, check out the bottom of this page for pictures and some videos. (Caution, the videos are LARGE.)

It is hard to describe the first flight. Let me start by saying that since it is my plane, it is the BEST flying RV in the UNIVERSE! :D

I have had the opportunity to fly an RV-4 (Thanks Claudio T. and his Purple Passion), and RV-6, RV-6A, RV-7A, RV-8, and now the RV-9. Each RV is a good plane in its own right but when pressed to describe how the -9 flies, I'm at loss.

It is responsive w/o being quick, yet it is very stable.

The climb surprised me. In preparation for this first flight I had been flying with a friend in his 180 hp w/ CS prop RV-6. With 1/2 fuel, only myself on board, and an OAT around 80, I was off in what I can only guess was less than 300 feet. (Is that even possible?) The -9 just wants to climb and climb and climb.

My power off, flaps down stall occurred somewhere just north of 40 MPH. I couldn't believe it was that slow.

I flew final at 65 MPH and could probably have slowed it down to 60. (I'll try that later in the test program.)

N941WR flies straight and level, hands (and feet) off. No heavy wing, no turning, just straight ahead.

As for the tail dragger thing, I have never flown such an easy tail wheel airplane in my life! Landings and takeoffs where a non-event, it made me wonder what I was so concerned about. Still, since I had not flown a tail dragger in a year and a half, it was good to get the four hours in that RV-6.

Least you think all was perfect, I did have an issue with one of my P-mags. I will post the results of my findings on that forum page.

Other than that issue, it was a great day and I look forward to flying off the test time!

Way To Go Bill

Way To Go Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I might stop down and visit when your hours are done.
It only gets better!!
All the best and keep safe :D

Very inspiring. Congratulations on this incredible achievement. As you have been a generous contributor to these forums, your website, etc., I look forward to seeing more info from your test flights and beyond.
Carl

Great job Bill! You now know that there is nothing we can say to describe what you have now experienced so please take a meager congrats from somebody who understands the pride and excitement and all of the other emotions that come with accomplishing something like you have. Well done.

Best,

Congratulations, Bill! Another one in the air. Sweet!!

Lee...

Still pounding rivets in Ridgeland...

Great job Bill! Glad to hear things went well. When I started on my 7A a couple of years ago you were at that point where I am now. Your success provide great encouragement! Have fun and be safe.

All right, Bill. I toast your sucessful first flight with a cold one (in an alum can, natch).

Steve

Way to go Bill!

I've been following your progress with interest since we had been progressing at about the same pace. But you beat me. I expect my first flight in about 2 weeks. Again congratulations and keep us posted about your performance and experiences.

Bill,

You've come a long way since you gave me the tour in your basement last year. Congrats on a great first flight, and lotsa luck with Phase One testing.

Nice Job

Hey Bill,

Nice job!!! There aren't many 9's out there and it is a nice sight to see them without a TW. Good luck on the fly off.

Bill,
Congratulations!! You must be feeling great.

I find the longer I work on my airplane the more emotional I become watching these first flight videos.

I too have visited your web site many times and followed your progress.

You did it!

Mark

How Kewl!

HUGE congratulations to you, Bill !!!! :D :D I've followed your progress on your 9 since I started building my 9A in Jan 05. I'm totally pumped by the pics of your first flight. Thanks for the continued posts and the inspiration ! Your reaction to the Nine's fondness for climbing is like many others. Can't wait til that day comes.

Rupester
N319TE, RV9A QB fuse

Congrats

Congratulations, Bill. I've been watching the posts, waiting for this one. Let me know when you bring the plane to Michigan.

kentb said:
You need to talk to your camera person about critiquing you landing on the video. :)

Kent
Kent,

No can do, I sleep with the camera person and hope to continue to do so. :p

Gotta love those wives! Everybodies an expert :rolleyes:

Looked like a nice job to me... thanks for the video.
Congrats!

Back