What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jumped into the deep end

mandm1516

Well Known Member
I've been mostly reading (occasionally posting) on this site for about a year--today I became a builder (well, sort of). I bought a partially completed -8 QB kit a couple of weeks ago and Seth with Tony Partain's shipping company just dropped it off. My first endeavor will be to figure out where to put everything--it sure looks bigger in my garage than it looked in the hangar where I got it. I was hoping to have my shop all set up, but oh well. At this point I have no idea what I'm doing but I guess with 5,200ish RV's flying, odds are decent that I'll figure it out.

My first projects (after getting everything organized) will be to build a tool box and something that looks like a control surface (Van's practice kits). I hope they don't turn out like the picture frames I built in 8th grade.

Mood at this point: Excited but a bit overwhelmed.

Mike

Welcome to the builders world Mike. I felt a litle overwhelmed when my wing kit came but it didn;t take long ot get over it. I'm now working on the fuselage and the finish kit is due ot get here the second week of July. Make sure you look up your local EAA chapter and get to know the people there. They can offer a lot of good advice and almost all chaters have some RV's in them.

You'll find that this forum and the resources available on the web are a great help also.

Have fun!

Congrats!

I saw your kit in the truck, when Seth was here on Saturday. I was thinking "hey how come that QB has the tailspring and other work already done?" Seth said it was going to Wisconsin.
Where are you? Seth left Townsend, MT around 6:15 MST, he must of drove thru the night.

I was very nervous with my first rivets, but found I do best if I just jump in. A Tech inspector gave me Riveting101 at his house and this advice: It's tractor technology not brain surgery.

Good luck

Brian,

I'm in Salt Lake City--Seth was going on from here to Wisconsin to deliver a kitfox (not a lot to that project, 2 small cardboard boxes, a welded frame and some offroad tires). Good luck on your -7.

Mike

Absolutely

hydroguy2 said:
A Tech inspector gave me Riveting101 at his house and this advice: It's tractor technology not brain surgery.

Good luck

Or, in the words of John Harmon (Harmon Rocket fame), you're only going to California, not the moon! Also "Just build the d*** airplane!" :)

Congratulations on a very memorable journey you've ust begun.

Pierre

Back