What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Access plate assembly

llarkin

I am currently working on the bottm wing skins where the W-822 access plates attach. My question is: Does the W704 and W705 wings skins get machine cntsnk or dimpled where the rivets attach the K1100-08 plate nuts?

Thanks in advance,

Larry in Loveland, CO

Hi Larry,

I've been countersinking for NAS1097AD3 rivets. They have a VERY small head, but the rivets that hold the nutplates only need to hold them while you're threading the screw into the nutplate. Then the screw holds everything together. Since the rivet head is so small, you don't need to remove much metal. A few turns with a deburring tool is all it takes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tom, Should I use the same method if I were to use the rivets that Van's calls for with the standard head?

Larry

llarkin said:
Thanks Tom, Should I use the same method if I were to use the rivets that Van's calls for with the standard head?

Larry

Larry,

I would dimple the skin and the platenut if you were to use the regular AN426AD3 rivets since you would have to remove too much material to get the rivet head flush, resulting in an enlarged hole in the skin. You want some skin material remaining around the shank of the rivet. Only machine countersink if your going to use the NAS1097AD3 rivets...

Back