What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Summer time bugs...solutions???

cjensen

Well Known Member
I was just out in my garage with all the lights on putting together and breaking in my new compressor...and I have bugs and moths EVERYWHERE!!! It's driving me nuts!!

What are you doing about summer time bugs in your garage/shop? I need a solution to cut down on the population...

HELP! :eek:

Put a window air conditioner in the wall/window. I did, and was very happy I did. Both for comfort temperature wise and for bugs.

Use the shop vac.

Couple years ago, we had a tremendous number of flies. Every morning I would fire up the shop vac & suck up about 20 or so flies, many of them while they flew near the flourescent lights.

Another RV builder had the same problem & found the same solution.

Chad, I agree. We put in a small window air conditioner and just close things up if bugs or heat are a problem and keep banging away in comfort. No bugs and we can keep cool when it gets hot out. I just picked one up from Wal-Mart for about $200 and it works fine. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

dan said:
Bug zapper!

Oh, Dan, you must be from southern CA! :D Bug zappers are good sport, for sure, but they are about like spittin' in the ocean around places like here and elsewhere.

Best way to kill bugs here is to go fly, I usually kill several thousand on each flight.

The window unit A/C is a great idea, and I've thought about it many times. I don't think I have the capacity on the garage circuit to add a window unit with all the lights on, and run the compressor. It's already as high as I'm comfortable with. I don't know the wiring from the garage to the box since I didn't build the house, and I'm not about to take a chance with overpowering the lines.

A bug zapper would never fly (pun intended) with my wife. :rolleyes:

What else ya got?

Oh, I do like the bat cave idea!!

AlexPeterson said:
Bug zappers are good sport, for sure, but they are about like spittin' in the ocean around places like here and elsewhere.

I agree with Alex - grow up in Minnesota, where the mosquito is the state bird, and anywhere else you live will seem insect free! :p

(Texans think everything is so big down here, but they've got nothin' to compare with BWCA bugs!)

cjensen said:
The window unit A/C is a great idea, and I've thought about it many times. I don't think I have the capacity on the garage circuit to add a window unit with all the lights on, and run the compressor. It's already as high as I'm comfortable with. I don't know the wiring from the garage to the box since I didn't build the house, and I'm not about to take a chance with overpowering the lines.

A bug zapper would never fly (pun intended) with my wife. :rolleyes:

What else ya got?

Oh, I do like the bat cave idea!!
Screen door to fit garage door opening??? Light wood frame, insect screen, maybe could be built in sections to make it easy to put up. Or maybe a large piece of netting that could just be hung or velcro'd up???

Florida mosquitos vs. Northern mosquitos...

I was living in Florida in the 1980s working for a satellite antenna/receiver company and traveling the country. I went to Maine one time in the summer and found the B-29 of mosquitos up there at Houlton, Maine near the end of Interstate 95 at the Canadian border.

I grew up in North Georgia and moved to Florida before my 30th birthday. I moved back home in January 2001, then moved three months later to a place just 28 miles north and across the Tennessee state line. I am still here in the same place where I built my RV-9A.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN.
RV-9A - - N2PZ

If you want big mosquitoes go to Southern Alberta Canada. There a standard door to keep the little buggers out uses a piece of chain link fence for the screen. Bats don't work well in that part of the country, 1/2 to 1 mosquito is all they can eat in a night then they are full and go back to sleep.

Well my dad told me....

That when he was in Alaska, "One time a mosquito landed on the runway. They had put 50 gallons of gas in it before anyone realized that it wasn't a B29." :eek:

Kent

Back