What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV down in Fresno, Pilot OK

It's an RV6

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nnumsql.asp?NNumbertxt=6TR

The key things I noticed right away...
It did not have a professional paint job, which most Pipers would.
The tail number was very small, not generally common in GA aircraft at least from what I have seen.
Of course the tip up that others mentioned.
From the FAA database of Ted Nickels, its an RV6.

Funny the video even said that it was an rv homebuilt, but then the faa corrected them?

Interesting in that it had a ford engine in it...

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice the engine and cowling?

It was not a Lycoming, probably some type of auto conversion. (No, I'm not putting down auto conversions so let's not go there.)

Also, the cowling looked to be all aluminum based the way it deformed.

I just saw the other posts and took a 2nd look at the clip. It is probably a Ford V6(?) engine as you can see one of the cylinder banks and the top mounted carb.

Ford owns Mazda now is that correct? If so, then I assume it is (see my last post)...
Ford used to own 33.4% of Mazda which it just reduced to 13.4% in the last few weeks. This is good for Mazda as Ford messed up some of their better products and now they may be able to put out something other than Ranger clones. :(

Last edited:
Cowling

I did notice that aluminum cowling. If you click on the pictures they have video, unmistakebly an RV, sounds like his engine failed on takeoff. Glad he walked away.

News! Errrrr.

The second crash from a private airport? What does that mean? Must be something about the fact that the government doesn't own the airport that makes these single person homemade Piper Cherokee planes just fall out of the sky.

Usually the news has...

The second crash from a private airport? What does that mean? Must be something about the fact that the government doesn't own the airport that makes these single person homemade Piper Cherokee planes just fall out of the sky.

...Cessnas raining out of the sky....

The video at the end described the plane as a single-engine, single passenger Piper Cherokee.

30 seconds on Google would act as a check even for a non-aviation copy writer.

Makes you wonder about the entire acuracy of any new broadcast....:rolleyes:

I saw a video just the other day - I think it was on the RV Hotline - that showed tuft testing of a "Ford powered RV-6". Sure looked a lot like this one (Bob Collins didn't seem to have any info on it).

Glad to hear that the pilot is OK - bent metal can be straightened!

paul

I am happy that the pilot put it down safely.

It was interesting to see the video of the golfer playing with the plane in the background.

Would this be classified as a hazard on the 9th hole. Is there a penalty for hitting it?

Kent

I'm curious as to why the FAA changed the designation. Are they trying to avoid "OMIGAWD! Homebuilt airplanes! Protect us!!" Syndrome from the public or was it a simple mistake or ???

Edit: Jim, that link is unusable for non-Yahoo members.

Last edited:
You must be paying attention

I saw a video just the other day - I think it was on the RV Hotline - that showed tuft testing of a "Ford powered RV-6". Sure looked a lot like this one (Bob Collins didn't seem to have any info on it).

Glad to hear that the pilot is OK - bent metal can be straightened!

paul

Paul, very good eye. Yes it's the same airplane. I shot the video and I watched him go in yesterday.

Ted's first comment was lamenting the closeness of the upcoming EAA Ch376 Christmas party, where he is now a shoe in for the "Pucker Factor" award.

Jim,

I'm not a member of that Yahoo group, could you post the comments on here?

Thanks.

Ted is recovering. His comment to the ambulance crew was that he felt like
walking home...their response was that if he were 25 years old, they'd let
him. He was taken to the hospital as a precaution. It turns out that was
prudent. He suffered a couple of cracked vertebrae in his lower back.
Sounds like he'll be in for a few days.

I was on the taxiway watching when it happened. He had just made a touch
and go and was climbing out normally. Just about the time he turned
crosswind, I heard the engine quit. He made a play back toward the
runway...basically continuing his left turn. It appeared that energy bleed
in the turn was such that he wasn't going to make the field. He then picked
basically the only spot available and put in down on a golf driving range.
N36 51.272 W119 53.009 or
http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-01,GG\
LR:en&q=N36%2051.272%20W119%2053.009&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

It is certainly sobering to watch a pal go in. The reality of how steep the
glide path is will open your eyes when you see it from outside for the first
time. I am impressed with Ted's handling of the situation. He did a good
job. If not for a small berm just past his touchdown spot, I think he would
have pulled the landing off without damage or injury. Unfortunately, there
was a bump that tossed him back up and on the second touchdown, the gear
folded back. The aircraft slid to a stop about 75 feet from initial
touchdown.

We had a bunch of the skypark neighbors there and recovered the airplane
less than three hours after touchdown.

Here is what the FAA has on the accident.
http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/accident_incident/preliminary_data/media/M_1126_N.txt

The FAA Registry record is here:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=6TR&cmndfind.x=24&cmndfind.y=7

Gary,

Thanks for the info and best wishes on a speedy recovery for the pilot. It is nice to see the community of pilots help a pilot in distress.

Back