What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ipad 3G

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
The new Ipad came out and I would love to hear from guys who buy and use it whether the 3G feature is worth the extra money. Can you download data in flight, etc.? My wife is entering the 99's Air Classic Race in June and It would be nice if this works in the plane enroute.

iPad

I have an iPad 2 - network only (no G3 or gps built in). I also have an external Bluetooth gps. Everything you need for a flight should be downloaded before flight. I use Foreflight which does that. In flight the gps allows your position to be constantly displayed on the map page. If you pay extra for the georeferenced approach charts, your position is shown there as well.
You can also get xm wx equipment that transmits Bluetooth and FF supports that now too (I don't have that).
Don't count on G3 in flight. The built in gps (come with the G3 option) has been reported to be inconsistent when inside a vehicle due to the metal around you blocking the gps signal.

The new Ipad came out and I would love to hear from guys who buy and use it whether the 3G feature is worth the extra money. Can you download data in flight, etc.? My wife is entering the 99's Air Classic Race in June and It would be nice if this works in the plane enroute.

Yes it's worth.
Yes you can download data. Altitude and coverage matters.
I have first gen with FF and will put WinX Pro on iPad3.

iPad 3G

yes, it's worth it. At your hanger for example, you wont have a wifi signal, so if you want current info, you have to have 3G with $20/mo data plan. I've found it extremely handy.

random thoughts on ipad 3g

if you have 3g you don't need an external gps. spend the 100 bucks on the 3g.

Your traveling by airline (yuk) and stuck at msp or someother place that you gota pay $10 for a few minutes of internet. Your 3g will take over.

If you don't want the 3g service, you are not required to get a subscription. Most of my data is done with wifi, and the 1meg data plan is great plenty for me. If your looking at streaming video that requirement will go way up.

The 3g data can be managed on the ipad.

You can not depend on 3g in flight.

I love my foreflight. I am sick and tired of spending $100 on a few charts that are going to be expired soon.

Aeroweather app

And with the Aeroweather app you can download the weatherupdates on preselected aerodromes, METARS and TAF during the flight. :D

3G / External GPS

The 3G is nice for sure, but I wouldn't rely on the GPS too much (at least if you are using this for flying), as far as external vs. internal, depending on your plane. High wing is going to block the signal. Low wing might be ok.

I'm going up tomorrow in a 172, so I'll give my official feedback as far as how the GPS signal works in flight from my lap ;-)

Thanks again

I purchased the Ipad 3g model for the wife a right before Xmas. so far, she loves it. For myself, I am leaning towards either an Asus or Moto unit after the new OCS software comes out. I am not a fan of Apple, just my 2 cents worth.

Back