What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance 2000c Report

Mustang

Well Known Member
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've owned a Lowrance 2000c now for about a year and recently picked up their latest SD card with Terrain Awareness for North America. To change the SD card takes a couple of minutes, just like switching the card in a camera.

First of all, my background in GPS, is with Garmin, and I own and use two Garmin receivers today. I have also operated the B767-300 and B747-400 which were equipped with IRS units backed up with dual GPS and dual VOR/DME backup. That said, I do like the Lowrance which we bought for the RV-8. Because we live and operate aircraft mostly in Canada, we purchased the Lowrance, "Map Create 6 Topographical" set of CDRoms for Canada and the U.S. Non-Topo set for South of "49".

I then bought a 1 Gig SD card and downloaded the topo mapping data for the entire province of British Columbia, the Yukon and all the way up to the Arctic Ocean, and an East/West corridor comprising Southern Alberta, all the way to Winnipeg Manitoba. This data, combined with the online download of the Jeppesen Data (renewable with subscription) pretty much filled the SD Card. I purchased another 512MB SDCard for the Pacific NortWest and Eastward to the Great Lakes area.

The mapping info is incredible however. I can zoom in on any city in the Topo area above and place the cursor on any street and get the address! Not too useful for flying, but what about the Topo features shown? Contour lines labelled with elevation are available everywhere when zoomed in. Ditches and small duckponds are shown and almost all creeks are named. Lakeshores are accurate and curved correctly. Rivers with islands and roads are dispalyed accurately also. Yes, the water is blue! Gotta like that color.

Curiously, the "Map Create 6" Topo data for the runways is more accurate than the Jeppesen data overlay. Landing at a remote Chilcotin airstrip last year, the display showed two runways for Anahim Lake. As I landed on one of the runways, I looked over to where the other runway was depicted on the display. Just a bunch of scrub trees?? I went into the menu and turned "OFF" the Jeppesen data. Problem solved, the second runway disappeared off the screen. BTW, as I tracked up runway centerline, the TOPO display zoomed in showed the aircraft right on centerline too.

Impressive as all this topo data is, when the Terrain Awareness SD card recently became available for the 2000c, I ordered it. When I first installed the card and fired up the GPS, it seemed that some updating was occuring. I was initially a bit disappointed though, to find that the terrain was presented in relief instead of contours, and the plan view did not show the terrain higher than our house in red as per the advertising pictures on the internet. The profile view however, did show the adjacent control zone in yellow and the higher terrain in red. The terrain awareness screen is a separate page which is split in two horizontally with the profile view on the bottom and the plan view at the top. The lower flight profile screen can be sized to your preference.

Just for kicks, I loaded the Lowrance into my truck and left on a short trip through the mountains. I was surprised then, to find that the plan view (God's eye view) suddenly showed all the higher terrain in red as soon as the ground speed hit 20 knots! When I slowed below 20 knots, the red (higher)terrain reverted to standard coloration. OK, I guess they figure if you hit the ground at 20 knots or less you won't hurt yourself?!?! I dunno?

The profile view was pretty cool as it showed my projected flight path angle while I climbed hills in the truck with a projection out to 15nm and time projection labels (at present groundspeed) on the flight path marker line also. I could see that I would be boring through the mountain ahead in about 5 minutes. All in all, I was quite impressed with the 100 dollar investment for the TerrainAwareness SDcard. As I wound my way through the mountains at ground level, (that darn F-350 just won't fly) I could see the valleys beside the road open up with different colors as the ground dropped away from the road that would show safe passage for flight through cloud. This could be quite usefull for an engine failure above the clouds in my mind. The rivers and lakes still showed up as blue while below the GPS level.

We plan on installing the Lowrance in our RV-8 panel as the primary Nav instrument. It will be ported to the Trio Avionics EZ Pilot for roll control and to the EFIS for groundspeed/wind info. The one thing about the Lowrance is that it takes a fair amount of power. The four AA size batteries are toast after about one hour. Basically, it must be plugged into the ships power supply. The AA batteries could be used for standby power but it is hard to know how much charge remains in a drycell. The GPS is WAAS capable and gets pretty good WAAS coverage in B.C. even while on the ground in a vehicle.

There are quite few display screens on the 2000c and some of them are very EFIS like in their presentation. I will try to stick a screen shot in here of when I was flying an RV-4 from Kamloops out to Wisconsin last July. After the first 200 miles, I stopped looking at the charts even though I had bought new ones for the trip. The Lowrance did it all, including keeping me clear of TRA's MA's and the control zones in the Milwaukee area. I particularly liked the nearest airport feature as I stretched the RV's fuel for the last leg, Bismark ND to Racine WI. Although I squeaked into Racine with legal reserves, the comfort of all those little airports sprinkled around the Milwaukee area was heightened with the nearest airport feature on the Lowrance, especially since I could check for fuel at each airport on the GPS.

All in all, for the dollar, the 2000c is a good value. I would have to tick the box,"Would Buy Again" YES.

Cheers, Pete

Last edited:
Screen resolution

Mustang,

Thanks for the excellent report. I've panel mounted a Airmap 1000 in my RV6. At the time I felt that the 2000C was a little too expensive. I understand that the 2000C and the 1000 are physically the same size, so my plan (if this is correct) is to upgrade later as soon as I've freed up some funds.

I've read a previous post that expressed some concern that the resolution of the 2000C is quite low and that as a consequence the image is rather poor. Is this an opinion that you share? Any idea if Lowrance has any plans to improve in this area?

Leonard
RV6 in New Zealand

2000c resolution

Leonard,
Yes the resolution is low compared to some of the other units. However, in flight, I had no problem seeing where I was or any detailed stuff. The large display, brightness and contrast made the screen visibilty very good in the RV-4 cockpit and I was impressed. I will forward a screenshot taken during that trip if I can locate your email address. Considering my 62 year old eyes and having to wear glasses for reading, I had no problems with visibility even while wearing Serengetis with little auxiliary lenses stuck to the bottom of the sunglass lenses. The only clue to the low resolution is the odd "jaggy" sometimes evident in straight lines on the diagonal. I did not find it objectional and I have been known to be a bit "picky". I don't find extremely high resolution screens all that wonderful in flight and the Lowrance seems to make everything big and bold that I need to know. I have used a lot of different high resolution screens which tend to make the font smaller, whereas, the Lowrance makes it for kindergarden reading. This is good in an airplane leaping and bounding all over the sky!

The day of the screen shot, I never went below 11,500 feet, all day, like for 9 hours. At that altitude, the large bold font is welcomed, especially with no oxygen.

Having used really good moving map/nav displays in the big iron, I really can't justify the latest Garmin displays which seem to show more terrain beside the aircraft, than in front of it. Why they think it is important to see what is beside the airplane is beyond me. I want to see what is coming up on my moving map! I think the Lowrance gives the best bang for the buck in this regard.

Probably, if you wait long enough, they will increase the screen resolution in future versions. It may cost in terms of memory room on the SD card though, I don't really know. I do know that I have an incredible amount of map info on that one gig card, probably twice the area of New Zealand or more!

Cheers, Pete

I agree with all of the comments - it is a fantastic unit, especially for the price. The screen resolution is not as big a factor as some folks think. On paper maybe, but in the real world of sunlight, turbulence, and vibration it is very usable. The large size more than makes up for any lack of pixels, especially with my 49 y/o uncorrected vision. Remember, real world flying is a totally different world from the spec sheet or your living room! :D

Mustang said:
The GPS is WAAS capable and gets pretty good WAAS coverage in B.C. even while on the ground in a vehicle.

Just a note regarding WAAS. I've been using a Garmin 296 and have took it along for numerous "ground vehicle" trips across mountain passes ranging from 2000' to over 9000'.

What's amazing, is that the altitude function is hitting posted altitudes at the summit of mountain passes, national parks, etc. within 2-5' nearly all the time. Has never been more than 15' off, and sometimes it's dead on.

Quite a difference from the vertical readout of within 300' or so in the past, and possibly more accurate than the altimeter.

Mustang said:
Hey Guys and Gals,

I then bought a 1 Gig SD card and downloaded the topo mapping data for the entire province of British Columbia, the Yukon and all the way up to the Arctic Ocean, and an East/West corridor comprising Southern Alberta, all the way to Winnipeg Manitoba. This data, combined with the online download of the Jeppesen Data (renewable with subscription) pretty much filled the SD Card. I purchased another 512MB SDCard for the Pacific NortWest and Eastward to the Great Lakes area.

Cheers, Pete

What is the largest SD card the unit will handle?
and how do you combine maps from different sources?

You convinced me too!

Pete,
Thanks for the great write up on the 2000C. I am planning my panel for a -8 and will install a Dynon Flightdek D-180 and the AirMAp 2000C along with a SL-40 radio and GTX-327 x-ponder. That is all I need- NO round steam gauges at all!!!!

Possible size of the card??

BillyBob,

I have only tried this unit with the 1 gig card. At the time I bought it, the 2 gig cards were not available at any kind of reasonable price. I would say probably the 2 gig card would work, but a call to Lowrance might be a good plan to check up on this.

After I bought the 1 gig card, I put the card in the card reader supplied with the unit and loaded the topo maps from my computer. The wrinkles came when I tried to download the latest Jeppesen updates off the internet onto the card. (Overlaying the topo information) I did get it to work after a couple of calls to the tech guys at Lowrance. Keep in mind that I bought an early version of the 2000c and they had not been out very long.

This summer, I took a job flying a Beaver and a Super Cub on floats out in the bush for a Wilderness Lodge. I found flight planning and giving quotes for charters to be effortless with the 2000c by just moving the cursor around on the topo map and creating little flight plans with all the mileages for each leg being easily found. I would hook up the Lowrance to an Odyssey battery on my desk and work away for hours in the evenings banging out charter quotes. Come morning, I would strap the Lowrance into the Beaver, plug into the 28 volt system and off we would go. All in all, I found it to be a very usefull tool in my work. BTW, the Beaver taxiis at 5 knots on the water!

Cheers, Pete

Hi there,

I am a chopper driver currently in the Caribbeans and enjoying this sweet gps too.

Now I actually have a question for you as I can not get any frank answer either from the web and lowrance web site, also considering that I can not send an email to their customer service...

I used to run it on the cigarette plug under 12V+, but since I moved to my new job where they are running a helicopter with a 24v supply...

can one confirm me that I can run the 2000C safely on the 24/28V plug?

I don t want to blow it off...

anyway, should you have any advices or answer it would then be nice from you!

Sincerly

Davy

Hi there,

I am a chopper driver currently in the Caribbeans and enjoying this sweet gps too.

Now I actually have a question for you as I can not get any frank answer either from the web and lowrance web site, also considering that I can not send an email to their customer service...

I used to run it on the cigarette plug under 12V+, but since I moved to my new job where they are running a helicopter with a 24v supply...

can one confirm me that I can run the 2000C safely on the 24/28V plug?

I don t want to blow it off...

anyway, should you have any advices or answer it would then be nice from you!

Sincerly

Davy

Look on the Lowrance website under specifications:

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Aviation/AirMap-2000C/Specifications/

Under power consumption, it states "5-35". Since that makes no sense for power draw, that might be the allowable power supply voltage.

yeah I have seen that one but it is not clear they are talking about voltage there, although you are right as power consumption from 5 to 35 sounds quite ridiculous...
thanks for the input though!

davy

Is Lowrance still making aviation GPS?

I have two 2000c that have gone belly-up (one new out of the box) where some buttons were not working ---- sent one back (not under warranty) and the price quoted was $219.45, up front for the repair. Told two week turnaround. After four weeks, called to get an RA to send the other unit back and was told 3.5 TO 4 MONTHS AND THEY WERE NOT MAKING ANY NEW 2000C -- still have not received the original shipped unit (two months, now) and found out the marine gps/fishfinder guys are having the same issues with support.

I am going with another manufacturer -- but I sure liked my Lowrance, when working and supported.

Lowrance 2000C

I understand that Lowrance is getting out of the aviation GPS business and concentrating only on their Marine line of products...

Too bad... I've had a 1000 and naw a 2000c for a number of years. Worked well and has been reliable for me. However, I too will go to another manufacture at some point.

Back