Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico266 View Post
...Tell her when every she is ready you will try it again, this time with lots rum & coke! ...
Umm, Larry ... I thought we weren't supposed to fly after drinking ...

(although, for passengers like this, it's good advice. That's why I installed an ejection seat in the back. "Whatever you do, DON'T push that red button!")

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"
Old 11-30-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8RV View Post
Umm, Larry ... I thought we weren't supposed to fly after drinking ...
No wonder Vans does not sell cup holders.
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:20 PM

Proper choice of words can make the difference in a good experience and a horrible one. The fellow I bought my 172 from told me about taking 2 of his friends to a St. Louis ball game. After the game and lot's of beer the two friends fell asleep soon after departing St louis for the trip home. Just before landing the pilot decided to wake to guys up so they wouldn't be startled when he touched down. The only problem was he said "guys we're going down" instead of of we're landing. He said they both nearly dissasembled the plane and screamed like little girls before he could make them understand they were just going to land.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:20 PM

Default RE:Bravo Zulu Award

Hi Aaron

Job WELL DONE!!!!!

You surely deserve the Bravo Zulu Award

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... BUZZ ... N74BZ ... Flying
Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 PM

Default nice job

Nice job on handling the situation. You thought that your check ride was a test.

Note that you can also greatly reduce your chances of having the nervous passenger. One thing that really helps is to develop your "captain's voice". With the most soothing and reassuring voice you can muster, make it a habit to walk them through everything that's about to happen before it happens, with no long gaps of silence. Tell them about the run-up. When cleared for take-off, tell them what they'll experience once you put the throttle in (nothing with a 172;>). Tell them that you'll slowly pull the yoke back at 60, and we'll begin a climb to cruising altitude. Bumps are normal.. like going down a dirt road. Fresh air vents can help make them feel better... You get the idea. If they still panic, they might be more likely to go for the vent than the yoke.

I won't tell the long version, but my wife panicked on an early flight and thought I was trying to make her fall out of the plane. >:O Fast forward. Now I'd say she almost likes my rv7, though she complains she'd rather have the rv-10.
Ticked Van's Hobbes meter at #6110, 3/7/09
Old 11-30-2009, 07:41 PM
fugio ergo sum

I don't know if it was a case of panic. Maybe it was a case of really nervous.

I was a teenager giving my pentecostal preacher Grandfather a ride in a C172. I don't remember anything unusual (but this was 40 years ago) about the ride until we were on short final. At that point my Grandfather suddenly grabbed the yoke and started moving it left and right vigorously. I did use my command voice to tell him to stop. We did not debrief about the incident, and to this day I don't know what was going on in his head.

I couple of years ago during a Young Eagles flight, it was obvious as we left the ground that the passenger was very nervous. I asked him if he wanted to go back and he said he did and we did. No problem.

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 11-30-2009, 08:17 PM

Default Young Eagles flight

Several years ago before I finished the -7A I was flying some YEs with my local EAA chapter in my '59 C172. I had three kids on board and shortly after lift-off I noticed one of the back seat passengers (a boy about 8 or 9 years old) was visibly distraught; tears running down his face, mouth open, lips quivvering, etc. As professionally as I could I made an announcement on the CTAF, "Skyhawk 28E is returning for landing on runway 21, I have an uncomfortable passenger." I let him out and proceeded to fly the other two. We had a number of other kids to fly so I pressed on. Later, after we had finished with the group, I found out that the kid had had misgivings from the start but his dad didn't want him to miss out on the opportunity and MADE him get on the plane. I wish that I'd have had the chance to meet his father behind one of the hangars and have a "chat" with him!
Finally painted!
600+ hours and lovin' every minute of it!
N728E
SE AZ

"I fly because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things."

--Antoine de Saint Exupery
Old 11-30-2009, 10:22 PM

Default Excellent advice as always!

Thats what I love about this community of aviators and builders. I can post a situation regarding safety and get excellent advice from experienced pilots. It honestly is a place where one can become a better pilot (and an addicted builder). Thanks for all the imput and encouragement. I'll definitely be putting it to use.
Wings-In Progress
N568AK Reserved
SOLD?but I'll be back
Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Well, In the movie "Airplane" they handled it a little differently...
<BG>

DM
Old 12-01-2009, 09:23 AM

Default Well done

Aaron:

A job handled well!! You know in my 10,000+ in light airplanes, that has never happened to me. Back in my previous life at NWA, the first item on our emergency checklist was FLY THE AIRPLANE. You did just that with a positive outcome.

Flying is one learning experience after another. Good job.

Hudson, WI
president, Twin Cities RV Builders Group
RV-4, sold
RV-7 completed and flying N722DW, 840 hours
Based Lake Elmo, MN (21D)