Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2021, 10:33 AM

Hey Paul,

I would want to save the knobs panels. They are really designed for IFR workload efficiency and expert AP use. Consider moving the knobs panels down to the center tunnel inspection cover. You would have to make up new harnesses with enough slack to have service loops to allow removing the cover. Should be pretty straight forward. The only downside I see to that location is having to move your eyes down there to use the knobs. You still have SV left and right joysticks so you could configure those for the things you need most when IFR, like altitude and heading.

Since the knobs panels are optional, you should be able to buy a new center panel without the knobs cut-outs. I would add the grab handle at the top. You would have plenty of room in the stack for a navigator but I think you would have to relocate your ADSB-in module. Lots of room behind the second display for that box.

My 2Ę, good luck and I'm looking forward to see what you come up with!

Last edited by Tony_T : 01-02-2021 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Correction: ADSB-in for GPS-in
Old 01-02-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
My 2Ę, good luck and I'm looking forward to see what you come up with!
Great suggestions/ideas Tony, thank you. I will definitely keep the AP knob module. I will post the final solution. Pretty much a minimum of $5K in new hardware (GPS 175 + Dynon ARINC-429), along with some new panel hardware. I hope to get it right the first time! Happy New Year to you and yours! Paul
Old 01-02-2021, 03:06 PM

You may want to consider replacing the GTR200 with a Dynon VHF-COM radio, which is the same size as the KNOB and AP panel. The center panel should be wide enough for the three side-by-side. The GTR200 slot could then be adapted to the GPS175 2" bezel height. The GPS175 rack & connector depth should be fit in the GTR200 space. ARINC-429 and RS-232 connections to Skyview should not be a problem, you will need the Dynon ARINC box. Also you will need to add a GA35 WAAS GPS antenna.

You could eliminate the right side Skyview display and replace it with an iPAD mini / iPad Air for power reduction. With the GPS175 map and Foreflight you would not be missing much from the co-pilot side (Stratus 3 would also get you a backup AHRS capability on Foreflight).

I am running a IFD540 with the Skyview in my RV-12. The capability to fly a fully coupled GPS/ILS with the autopilot is nice to have. With an auto-throttle it would not be too far to add an Autoland capability to the Dynon.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Old 01-18-2021, 01:06 PM

Default GNC355

You might want to consider replacing the GTR200 with a GNC355. It is the same GPS as the 175, but will add the Comm radio in one unit. It is a little taller than the 200, which is 1.35" tall, and the 355 is 2.02" tall, that way you can keep the rest of the panel the same.

If you email me at hr2plt@yahoo.com, I will send you my wiring diagram I made to connect the GPS to the SkyView system, and the setup instructions, with pictures.

Brian
Old 01-18-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdtofly View Post
If you email me at hr2plt@yahoo.com, I will send you my wiring diagram I made to connect the GPS to the SkyView system, and the setup instructions, with pictures.

Brian
Thanks very much Brian, you actually emailed your 5-page PDF to me in late December. It will be very helpful and I'm still considering the GNC355 and pulling out the GTR200 as you suggest. Thanks again, Paul
Old 01-19-2021, 01:24 AM

Paul, as a lapsed cfii I’m sure you know that instrument flying is all about risk management. Some posters have suggested pulling your second attitude source, leaving you with one attitude source, one source of electrical power, one navigation source. Legal, yes. How wise? That depends on your risk tolerance. I know it’s easy to spend other people’s money, but I’d suggest: sell your MFD panel. Replace it with a Garmin G5 or GRT Mini EFIS, with its own 2 hour battery. That would leave panel space for the gps. Consider a portable hand-held battery operated nav-com.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Paul, as a lapsed cfii Iím sure you know that instrument flying is all about risk management.......
Hi Bob, great to hear from you. I don't know if you remember but it was about 5 years ago when you let me come to your hangar in Livermore and see your RV-10 (I was still deciding whether to build a -10 or a -12, and obviously I took the much easier path). You make several good points. I was really just wanting an official nav source so I could fly some approaches for fun in VMC. It would also be nice in case of emergency. Thanks again for the comments! Paul
Old 01-19-2021, 11:29 PM

Paul, yes I remember you now. I didnít associate you with the TN address.
Hereís a wild idea for VFR and emergency use only: GRT will sell you one of their newer EFIS units, their adsb GPS source, and approach software for US GPS approaches. It is neither TSO nor otherwise approved by the faa, but should be fine for vfr practice or emergencies. Iíll leave it to you to add up the dollars and see if this makes financial sense compared to the Garmin system.

Bob
Old 01-21-2021, 09:25 AM

Default Washers?

Nice panel! Off your main topic - paint a few washers black and put under a few or the screws. Washers just slightly larger than the screw heads. You may really like the look. My panel is in silver carbon-fiber-look vinyl and I did that with SS washers and really like the look.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:21 PM

Paul:

Very attractive instrument panel.

What is the coating on it? Any suggestions on applying it? How is it lasting?

Where did you get the black screws?

Thanks.

Brett H
Columbus, IN