What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Needs - Vans Landing Lights

ctbecker

Well Known Member
I'm considering the Van's wingtip landing lights for the 8A. The web store indicates that there are 2 lights in each wing at 75 Watts per. That's 300 Watts. Any thoughts on the wire size needed?

150 watts/wing divided by 12 volts = 12.5 amps. Conservatively, I'd use Table 11-3 in AC43.13 and go with 16awg and separate 15A CB's for each wing.

If you want to control each side separately (one side landing, one side taxi?), you'll obvioulsy need two switches. If you always want both sides to come on together you'll need a double pole switch.

2 Switches, Landing & Taxi

I put two switches in, one for landing and one for taxi. Landing puts on one in each tip aimed straight ahead. Taxi puts on the other one in each tip pointing down more, I have a tail dragger. I will admit they sort of just all light up ahead anyway. But they do really light it up when landing with all four on. The way I wired it, I still have a 15 amp circuit for each switch and #14s out to the tips. It's kind of a long run for 12 volt so I used the #14 wire size.

What he said

I go along with Richard. Because of the wire length I used 14 gauge. The 15 amp breaker should handle two lights.

Don

3x

Same as Don & Richard but I used the 10A circuit breaker switches in Van's electrical kit, one for landing, one for taxi. Have not had either trip despite being on for as long as 45 minutes. If either trips, it will get replace with 15A.

Back