What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pickup engine by cylinders?

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
My engine is on a pallet. The hoist arms are more narrow than the pallet. Will it damage the cylinders if my son and I lift the engine off the pallet by the cylinders?

Thanks,
Michael-

or, if you don't want to make the purchase now,

Use a bar (2x4 on edge would work) long enough to span the engine plus working room for hands/feet on both sides. Short chain or cable secured to the center of the bar and to the lift hook 2 people lift using the bar.

Charlie

I think he was saying he couldn't position the hoist due to the pallet. I had that problem, too. Another approach is to lift the pallet and block it up enough so that you can get the hoist legs under it. Then you can lift the engine clear of the pallet and remove it and the blocks. Lifting the pallet is fairly easy and safe for the engine, even if you lift one side at a time to get the blocks under it.

+1

I think he was saying he couldn't position the hoist due to the pallet. I had that problem, too. Another approach is to lift the pallet and block it up enough so that you can get the hoist legs under it. Then you can lift the engine clear of the pallet and remove it and the blocks. Lifting the pallet is fairly easy and safe for the engine, even if you lift one side at a time to get the blocks under it.

Exactly what I did too. Easiest and safest for all concerned (humans and engine).

I took part if the pallet apart to allow the hoist to get close enough. Most pallets have a row or two of wood that isn't directly under the engine.

My engine is on a pallet. The hoist arms are more narrow than the pallet. Will it damage the cylinders if my son and I lift the engine off the pallet by the cylinders?

Thanks,
Michael-

No. Ok to do as you state.

I stored my engine for a few years resting on a stand that only supported the engine by the cylinder heads. It is now 15-years and over 2,500 flying hours later.

Back