What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pop out handle mod

I have seen an RV-8 with a "pop out handle" mod. It looks like a hole midway back on the fuselage where I assume a metal bar is inserted to allow you to lift the plane and move it around. I did a thread search and came up short, so I assume I'm either using the wrong keywords or there hasn't been that much discussion. If anybody has any info on it, it would be appreciated.

Cessna 180 and 185 stuff. Look for them at a salvage yard.

I remember the one you are talking about, think he made his own.

This may be one of Greg Hale's mods----just dont remember for sure. Or Rod Bower???

Last edited:
A local pilot has one on his -4, too. It's been very handy on long trips.

DSCN1128.JPG

Great idea on an RV.

My wife would appreciate the application in the Canada Air photo above. :)

Only seen These on 170/180/185's. Very handy in rough or soft fields. RV's would benicia similarly.

Handle

Juat fabricated one on my rv8 , send me your email and I'll send you some photos. Made it out of fiberglass and carbonfiber the female part only weighs 12oz.

Anyone have this BAS mod ?

A local pilot has one on his -4, too. It's been very handy on long trips.

DSCN1128.JPG

Can anyone report on this BAS tail pull handle ?

I installed this on my Cessna 195 and consider it a Necessity for ground handling.
Grant-it, the 195 is a 2100# plane, double that of the 8??

It only seems logical to have this on our 8 as well since we have grades and grass to contend with.

I have a New one in the box ready to install, thought we would do it now before going to paint.
I intend to place it higher up than this one pictured.

Any persons with "Experience" consider this Mod helpful before we cut holes and carry this extra (minimal) weight around for the life of the plane ?

Thanks
J

I just lift my -4 by the tail wheel spring and drag it around. Do it all the time, works fine, done did. You might want to give that a try first, it is a low lift though, some backs may complain. I will say some times the dirty tail wheel makes a mark on my pants....you dirty tail wheel you.

I intend to place it higher up than this one pictured.
Check carefully that you have enough room above the elevator push-pull tube to place it. I believe the one in the photo was placed that low because there wasn't room above the tube without getting into the curved turtledeck.

Any persons with "Experience" consider this Mod helpful before we cut holes and carry this extra (minimal) weight around for the life of the plane ?
FWIW, I still want one on my -6. It would help with pushing it around without getting fingerprints on the polished tail surfaces...

I've installed this on -8 and it was an easy install. Mine was installed higher up and has no clearance issues. More around where the W of western is in the picture above or slightly lower. I'm not flying yet so take it for what it's worth.

Back