What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Side by Side transiition training for tailwheel RV

Saville

Well Known Member
I'm going to need some RV transition training - Any trainers in the Northeast? And I'm thinking that training in a side by side RV is useful for getting to know how to fly the RV's. Once up in the air, I'm told they behave similarly.

I'm buying an RV-8 and it's tandem. Anyone have any experience with insurance companies accepting transition training in a side by side?

What about tail wheel vs trike? I have 90 hours in super decathlons and I'm wondering how acceptable nosegear transition training would be?

I'm looking for a transition trainer here in the Northeast.

Thanks

Last edited:
My insurance company accepted my transition time with Mike Seager in his RV-7, I got 7 hours and I found it a rewarding experience. My total tail time before that was 16 hours in a Citabria, after the training with Mike I found out how effective that big rudder was on the RV-7 and it took a few hours to not over control due to it.

I came back feeling extremely confident and had a great first solo on my purchased RV-8.

I had 350 hours in my 46 Taylorcraft which I got my TW endorsement in while building my -4. Did 3 take-offs and landings from right seat with a friend in his -6 about 2 months before making my first flight in my -4 (its first flight also)..no problem. Pattern speed and such will be your biggest adjustment from the Decathalon .

If you can learn to land a tailwheel RV6 smoothly, the rest of the Vans RV tailwheel models will be a piece of cake.

Back