What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"My" first flight!

Veetail88

Well Known Member
Today the dream is fully realized! ?I? flew my plane!

The weather was beautiful, I flew about 6 circuits with Jeff Point in his RV-6 and the landings were clicking together. We decided I was ready, so I went flying!

Flew about a half an hour, did a few practice circuits at altitude to adjust to the airplane a bit then headed back to 57C.

It was the worst landing of the day, but it all worked out.

I owe much gratitude to Jeff for making the first flights on my airplane and for helping to prepare me. I hope to pay it forward one day.

Thank you Jeff!

Video here. Please excuse the lousy video resolution. It was done in high def, but I don't understand the youtube thing. Sometimes it uploads in low res and I have no idea why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CroYAPnJGdo&feature=youtu.be

dfzh5f.jpg

Hang in there, Jesse! The landings will come.

I got transition training in an RV-7 and then performed the 3 worst landings of my life in my RV-8. The last one actually scared me. Since I'm new to tailwheel, I decided to get a lot more dual, hours and landings in before attempting it again. I've been training all summer in an Xtreme Decathlon and I'm definitely improving.

RV-8 First Flight

Jeff,

Congradualations, a great accomplishment and a flight reward for all that hard work, nicely done! I thought the video quality was fine on You tube, it initially started as 360P but there is a setting button in the bottom right corner of the video screen that you can change to 720P which looked good.

Yeah, as another poster above said, the landings will come with practice. Your landing was exactly what happened to me the first time I flew my RV-4 on a hard surface runway and tried to three point the landing. I think you will find most guys will wheel land an RV taildragger on pavement and save the three pointers for the grass.

Have fun, these are great airplanes and again- WELL DONE,
Oly

1st flt

Nice going Jesse - your -8 looks beautiful! Jane's and my -8 is very close to first flt @ ETB. Hope to meet you this fall... Bill

Jesse, what is the black stuff on leading edge of canopy?Is it for strength or looks?

Tracy, I used sikafex to attach the canopy. The black stuff is Sika primer painted on the inside of the plexi.

Jesse's first flight

Hi Jesse: Check your PM's. We have something in common; Jeff Point, RV-8, Milwaukee area, recent first flight (loved your video). You won! My first flight was 12/4. Give me a call sometime at 414-861-8804 and we can talk about what a great airplane the RV-8 is and will be. Bill
P.S. My pm's art full.

Back