What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Inverter System for Aerobatics

Don Cross

I'm New Here
Hi All,
I own a Vans RV7 which has a 180hp Lycoming IO360 M1B motor.
I would like to fit a Christen 801 Inverted oil system but am unsure of which system and parts I need to order to suit my motor and aircraft.

Ive been in contact with Aircraft Spruce and Aviat aircraft (who makes Christen products). I cant find any reference to my motor so I'm unsure where my motor fits in with the system.

At this stage I have discovered that these are the parts typically bought from Aviat and Aircraft Spruce.

801-4 INV OIL SYSCHRISTEN INV OIL SYS 1095.00
807-4 FITTING KITDELUXE HOSE & FITTING 1560.00
811-A SUMP KITCHRISTEN SUMP KIT 640.00

Can anybody advise on whether these are the correct parts for my motor?

Cheers from Down Under

Don, you also need the aerobatic sump, or you may need to make modifications to your sump. There are three connections to the sump that need to be made with -10 oil lines. One connects to the port with the pickup screen. Oil feeds into the engine on this line. Another is the separator return line and the third is the positive g oil pickup line.

Another reasonable thing to do is to put the vacuum pump pad adapter for negative g oil pickup. This is instead of pickup up negative g oil from the breather line. Supposedly minimizes lags in pressure when going from positive to negative. I typically saw it drop for a couple seconds down to about 40 psi, then right back up when going to negative g.

The previously mentioned link to the Christen book is good.

If you are interested, I can sell you my Christen system, it is complete. You would only need to replace the -10 hose, using the reusable fittings. I took mine off at engine overhaul - been there, done that with inverted flight. Send me a private message if you are interested.

If you don't need continuous, stay-there-forever inverted capability, one of the air-oil separators may be adequate for your needs... Capture the oil and get a few seconds inverted when needed? The "half-Raven" system seemed to be the most popular choice last time I looked.

The real benefit, of course, is that it's about 1/10 the cost...

Oil inverter system for aerobatics

Thanks for the replies folks.
I have checked through the info on the muscle biplane site and it provides detailed information. My only concern is that My particular motor IO360 M1B isn't mentioned. I'm thinking that the system I'm needing is The IO360 A series (all models) is the system closest to mine.

Can anyone confirm that to be correct?

Cheers Don

Don...

As well as Rob's recommendation for the "Half Raven", the full Raven is worth considering v the Christen. I suspect most differences are minor, but the offering of a 4" diameter tank option (as opposed to 6") saves a lot of space (and some weight) - not sure about $$ but I think may well be cheaper?

See Description & Prices

Thanks for the replies folks.
I have checked through the info on the muscle biplane site and it provides detailed information. My only concern is that My particular motor IO360 M1B isn't mentioned. I'm thinking that the system I'm needing is The IO360 A series (all models) is the system closest to mine.

Can anyone confirm that to be correct?

Cheers Don

Don, I don't think the various letters matter - what does is if your sump has the necessary bosses/threaded holes, and in the right positions, for the connections I mentioned.

Raven

Don, I have an M1B engine and have fitted a full Raven system. I recommend the smaller Slobber tank as it is easy to fit under the cowling and gives plenty of capacity. The M1B is a horizontal sump and the fittings install without any welding - only a minor, and easy modification to the oil screen. You will need the swivel fitting from Raven for the oil screen fitting to clear the engine mount cross tube. Also, the rear fitting for the hose leading to the lower port of the oil valve can interfer with the lower cross-tube as well, so it it critical to mount the oil valve in exactly the right place to avoid this. The best place to install the hose leading to the top of the Slobber tank is at the vac pad - you'll need the fitting for this. Do not buy any stock hoses. You'll have to measure and order custom hoses to match your particular configuration. The installation instuctions from Raven are very good, and Rob at Raven is happy to talk to you about the install. pm me if you would like more.

Best regards,

I've got to jump on the Raven band wagon and Rob's outstanding service - he helped me with the "Half Raven" system for our -3, and it is doing a great job so far (I've done a lot of Acro in the first 60 hours on the airplane, and we've lost/used less than a quart of oil in that time - across an oil change of course).

I did a LOT of shopping between systems, and the Raven is hands-down cheaper and equal in quality to the Christen.

Raven p.s.

Don, Raven's site does not have a clear path to the instructions. Google 'raven aircraft inverted' and you will see a link to the PDF instructions. Also, the 810-S Christen oil strainer fitting listed for the A engines is not what I have. Mine is not a T, but rather a straight fitting. As I said, Rob would be good to talk to prior to spending any money. Good luck!

The oil sump on the IO-360-M1B is the same as the forward facing ones used on the 200HP engines. The only difference between the 180HP setup (IO-360-M1B) and the 200HP setup (IO-360-A1A, A1B6,A1B6D) is the intake pipes. If you order the inverted system for the IO-360-A1A engine it will fit the IO-360-M1B sump.
The Raven system is a great and less expensive alternative to the Christen system.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I'll second the Raven. I'm using a full system, I do like to fly inverted for extended periods of time : ) I got mine from Aerosport with the fittings I needed. I got the hoses from Precision Hose and they treated me right, good, quick, friendly service. Although I have a vertical sump pictures of my install may be helpful. Send me a message if you want some.

Back