What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any white and black RVs??

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
My bird goes for paint in the next month and I am thinking of white with some black and silver accents. Tried some searches and find tons of white with blue, white with red etc...very very few with black/silver accents. Just wondered if there are some pics out there anyone can forward or if there are reasons why a nice metallic black would not be a good accent colour? There are only two I have ever found and they are VH-SDG and a US rv with a 45 on the tail. Any other pics?? Dont want to pay big $$ and have it come out looking dorky! I am thinking of kind of the opposite of these with black on the top and the majority white.

As always thanks for feedback.

4k8i1t.jpg

wk0ol3.jpg

Last edited:
What timing!!

I have an all white RV-4, and just last weekend I put black checkerboard on my tail. It looks so good that my friend was saying that I should consider black on the rest of the plane, instead of the blue I was planning.

I'll be very interested in the responses to your question.

Paint scheme

I'm black and white with gold decal trim. Came out very nice. (Black and gold are Mizzou colors.) Long term the black wears well on the eyes and is easy to touch up. The white is tougher to match, so have your painter mix up an extra pint or so for future touch ups, hangar rash etc. It won't be exact after sun fade, but will be close enough. Make sure the black is not on the up side, it really heats up fast on a sunny day.
John Koonce
N 78 MU

This may be more than just the black "accents" that you are looking for, Rick, but thought I'd upload it anyway. It caught my eye at Oshkosh 2006. I have a few other pics of it if it happens to be anything like what you're looking for.

Yeah, I fell in love with Brian Degenhardt's VH-SDG livery when I noticed it on the First Flights page at Van's. What a beaut! It was also Miss November in this year's Van's calendar. Try to find interior pictures of it if you really want to ignite your black/white/gray lust.

--
Stephen

Mine is a little more like Doug's in that it is more of a black airplane with white and some purple trim. I like it and haven't see anything else close.

docu0104.jpg

Rick,

Here's my next door neighbor's. White with silver and black. I think he won an award at Golden West sevral years back. Don't have a pic with the cover off, but its sharp.

Bearhawk%252520and%252520RV8%252520sm.JPG

That #45 calendar plane in the OP sure looks great, as does the Rocket in the previous post (heck, they all look great!!) :D

Cheers,
Bob

Keep them coming

Thanks for the pics, please keep them coming. Its great to see lots of pics as it really gives one ideas and helps visualize colours etc. I dont want to steal anyones plan, but take some nice stuff from various ones that stand out. DR's plane is BLUE...I have seen it many times...I swear its dark blue.

The other issue is trying to find the right shades and types of white, silver and black as my painter prefers JET GLO products and not sure how much selection they have in colours.

More pics, more pics! Thanks.

Rob Holmes -3

Search for his first flight post from last weekend - white airplane with black "trim" - really original and unique!

not an rv, but...

Paint is coming soon for my -4. I really like the mainly black look as well. I was thinking about flat or satin blacks with a trim color to offset it. Is there any reason not to use a flat or satin?

145116.jpg

The yellow,white and black look good imo.

Last edited:
i can't imagine trying to scrub bugs off of a satin finish. don't know if it would have much of an aerodynamic effect or not, but also something to consider.

Satin black

...Makes it really hard to hide fluid leaks. The two black airplanes I've worked on (the Sled and U-2) are really hard to keep clean. Oil and fuel stains are forever.

You don't want a primer type flat paint but nothing wrong with the "Hot Rod" satin or flat back paints. Our -8 is in the process of paint right now. The painter is using DuPont Hot Rod Black and ours will be all black with F-117A markings to recreate the birds we used worked on. It is smooth to the touch and claimed to be very durable.

Another one is PPG Flexed and Flat Matte clear over black paint. It is supposed to be bullet proof, engine compartment tough.

Of course you cannot wet sand or buff and blend any defects, so the paint has to be good. You also don't have to wax it, which for some may be a good or bad thing.

Ive searched for many hours for any home-built or even GA aircraft with a flat paint job and come up empty. The closest I found was a guy who did a vinyl wrap in partial flat black. Please post some pics of your paint job when complete.

Back