What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Purchased RV-3 Project- Trailer size?

1941j3cub

I'm New Here
I live in ND and purchased a RV3 project in southern CA. No engine, Prop and spar mod yet to be completed. Taildragger with tail feathers are already removed. Was a flying aircraft before the prop strike. I am looking to pick up the aircraft and trailer it home.

I have a 16 ft. enclosed trailer already however my trailer is only 70 inches wide. I am dealing with a non-aviator spouse and my questions are appearing to be overwhelming to her. I am trying to determine the dimensions of the aircraft so I can plan how I am going to pack everything up for the long trip home. Everyone in my area owns models 6-10, not a three.

My concern is the trailer width not being enough for the main gear.

The dimensions I am looking for are:
1. Width of main gear
2. Firewall to tail wheel (tail feathers are removed)
3. Length, width & depth of wings (removed already from fuselage)

I have been suggested to use old mattresses to secure/pad the wings and other parts from damage. I may need to hang the wings from the ceiling for best use of space. Any experience is much appreciated!

Main wheels

Pull the main gear in a few inches if needed using a heavy cargo strap. The large axel nuts can be temporarily substituted for regular axel nuts to save a few more inches. Then, you can tilt the fuselage up by using boards under one axel if needed.

might want to look into building a wing rack possibly, doesnt take but a few hours. Now that you have the -3 if you need someone to take that J-3 Off your hands let me know, im gonna be looking for one in a few months!!

-david

My concern is the trailer width not being enough for the main gear.

The dimensions I am looking for are:
1. Width of main gear
2. Firewall to tail wheel (tail feathers are removed)
3. Length, width & depth of wings (removed already from fuselage)...

When I re-scale the 3-view drawing on Vans website, it looks to me like the RV-3 will run around 74" between the ends of the axles. However, due to the low-resolution of the 3-view and the usual variations in as-built dimensions, that could be off by a couple of inches either way. So I'd suggest you call the seller and ask them to measure more exactly.

The same technique shows a fuselage length of 184" or so from firewall to the aft tangent of the tailwheel. The tailwheel seems to extend aft of the rudder, so it doesn't matter whether the tail surfaces are on or off. However, the engine mount sticks forward of the firewall a foot or so, and you'll need the engine mount on if you want the main gear in place to roll it around.

One possibility is that if you remove the engine mount, main gear, tailwheel spring, and rudder, the fuselage that's left seems to measure around 163". You could make a stand out of 2x4s that bolts to the engine mount holes on the firewall to support it instead of the main gear. Then you wouldn't have the main gear width to worry about. But unless the engine has already been removed, that would be a huge hassle.

For the wing, I think that the published wing chord is 54" or so. Given that the airfoil has a 12% thickness (unlike the 13.5% of all later RVs), the wing depth should be around 6.5". The span is given as 19'11", so the wing panel length from tip to the end of the spar stub should be about 120".

The hard part is probably securing all the separate parts to the trailer so that they don't thrash each other and the trailer. That would be a real heartache.

As I mentioned, all of my dimensions (except wing chord) are scaled off of a fairly low-res 3-view drawing, so all of them should be considered suspect until proven innocent. But I hope they get you started scheming how to retrieve your new bird!

Thanks, Bob K.

dimensions

I measured my -3 in process and came up with these numbers:
Main gear width: tip to tip of axles is 75 inches
Fuse length from firewall to end of tail cone: 156 to end of tail wheel 174
Wing length tip of spar to wing tip without glass tip: 109 1/4" add 11" for tip
Wing width: 44" with no flaps or ailerons, 55" width of glass tip.
Wing depth: 6.5 inches

Hope this helps.

Gordon

Depending on the height inside the trailer, it might be possible to roll the fuselage, one wheel up, the other down, and get it in with the main gear installed.

Dave

moving RV-3

I DROVE mine form Tillamook Oregon to Cocoa Beach FL.. 2768 miles.... Budget 24' box truck... with spinner and prop attached, wings slung to the side on homemade cradle slings.. no damage.... $125 a day unlimited milage... nuff said

Jeff

btw...

if you want to see how to load, I DID take a lot of pics ;)!
PM me and I will talk you through it if your interested...

Great to see another North Dakota RV'r!!!

I am just a few miles away by Mayville-Portland. I have a wing rack for wings for a 7-8 that you can use, if it would fit. There is a flying 3 by Hatton, and another 8 there that should be flying by next summer!!

Hope to meet you soon, and talk RVs.

I hauled an 8 back from CO a couple years ago, and it went well. If it is still on the gear, it should be pretty easy. Fuse in the center, and a wing on each side leading edge down. The empennage should fit between the gear legs.

Back