What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Not the normal RV-4 vs RV-8.. I would like to see yours!!

pilot375

Help! Not the normal RV-4 vs RV-8.. I would like to see yours!!

I am considering gettting an airplane. Glasairs and RV's make the short list. I have sat in several Glasairs, but never an RV. Is there anyone in the San Fran area that would be willing to let me and my wife try out your RV-4 or RV-8? I don't need a flight, I just want to sit in it with her. Other RV's might be helpful, but I am leaning towards the 4 or 8... I like the tandem seating. I am in SF area until the weekend then will be in the SD area after that maybe PHX or maybe Las Vegas or back to SF. I don't know yet. I am an ATP/CFI and the typical mission will be a 1.5-2.5 hour flight from SF to NV with an occasional flight to San Diego, and very infrequently to Texas or Michigan. I also have a 47' sailboat in SF and a 28' fishing boat that moves around and could trade a sail for a flight! Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If your typical mission is going to be cross country flights with your wife aboard, then focus your looking at the RV-8. Once you've sat in one (try both front and back seats), versus sitting in the RV-4's back seat, you'll make your choice quickly ;)

I figure I can let the wife sit in the back and determine if the extra money is worth it for the -8 :D But have to find one she can sit in.

Give some consideration to the Rocket series of aircraft. Tandem seating with loads of aft load potential, tremendous speed and power, and an undeniable curb appeal. Many of the current owners are professional pilots who are looking for a bit more performance. I am sure you will be able to find one locally to give it a try.

Google F1 rocket, Team rocket, and the Harmon Rocket, HRII, John Harmon.
This should give you lots of information. Also check the Sport Aircraft Racing League, SARL for relative speeds between the different types of aircraft you are looking at.

So, time for the obvious question: What size is your wife? Answer carefully ;)

The -4 is a pilot's airplane with some space for a person in the back - more like a 2+2 touring car, while the -8 has proper space in back - more like a sedan. In motorcycle terms, the -4 is more of a mid-weight sport bike (Yamaha FZ6), while the -8 is a sport tourer (Yamaha FJR) with more power and room, but more weight.

Personally I love the snug feel of the -4, either front or back. Your wife may not. Best to find out first!

TODR

My wife is 5-5 & 120, & never complains about space in back of the -4. But she 'nests' with junk piled all around her, even in the car.

However.

She's not fond of riding in the back. She wants to be up front where the action is.

I'm building a -7. (I actually prefer side by side seating for cross country, giving rides to new passengers, etc anyway. Even acro is fine; just slightly different than centerline seating.)

Charlie

BTW, the -7 also has more baggage space & the CG is easier to manage when loading it for travel.

Last edited:
You can try on my RV-8

My RV-8 is at Reid Hillview Airport in San Jose.
I can meet you there Friday after work, or some time on Saturday.

You are welcome to sit in it together, and I can even take your wife for a ride in the back to see how she likes it in flight.

She is a pilot, but lost her medical, and is generally just fine being a passenger now. She can land in an emergency and that is the important part. Hope to get to see an 8 Friday... still looking for a 4 to try.

Thanks again!

Landing a 4 or 8 from the back seat

Landing either a -4 or a -8 from the back seat is more than a bit challenging. I've done both, and here is an area where the -4 is better IMHO.

It might however just be the particular rear seat rudder pedals construction of the two planes I've landed from the back seat, though.

The little T-bar rudder pedals in the back seat of the RV-4 I flew were vastly smoother to operate with "finesse" than the round mushroom pedals in the rear seat of the -8 (the one in my avatar). The -8's rear pedals took great pressure to move and once they did move the rudder, the movement was sudden and abrupt.

Without differential brakes in the back seat of either plane, I wouldn't want to make a regular habit out of back seat landings in either, but the -4 was much easier to keep going straight during the rollout of a wheel landing than the -8 was.

Of course, I'm still biased about thinking the -8 is easier to land from the front seat than the -4... but both are easier to land than the side-by-side RV-6... with only 8 hours in mine, I'm still having some issues with sitting off-center, not being able to see over the nose as easily (the -8's visibility over the nose is superior) and having the stick and throttle in the wrong hands... and after flying a handbrake-only Cherokee for ten years and almost a thousand hours, and now sitting in the left seat of the -6 on the landing rollouts with the stick in my left hand, I still find myself subconsciously reaching under the panel with my right hand for the Cherokee's handbrake :p

Consider an 8A?

Some would consider an -8A as as forfiting your man card, but you might
also consider it. Landing from the back seat is almost as easy as the front
(but with no brakes) and egress is much easier for the rear seater because
it sits level. Probably the biggest advantage of the -8 over the -4 is the
room inside for the rear seater and the forward and rear baggage compartments. It makes the -8 a great cross country machine. Nothing
like a light RV 4 however for the ultimate in RV flying experience.

get my flame suit out....

the 4 vs 8 debate is like my cars.

my chevy HHR will get me there in more comfort but I would rather take my corvette.:D:D

get my flame suit out....

the 4 vs 8 debate is like my cars.

my chevy HHR will get me there in more comfort but I would rather take my corvette.:D:D

I would say it is more like the difference between a Porsche Cayenne and a 911. The handling differences between all RV models are pretty subtle.

All I know is if the wife isn't happy... no one gets to be happy!! I just want something I can do light aerobatics in and get us cross country. She really wants a Golden Eagle or G-4... but who can afford that!!

All I know is if the wife isn't happy... no one gets to be happy!! I just want something I can do light aerobatics in and get us cross country. She really wants a Golden Eagle or G-4... but who can afford that!!

I have not been in a 4 but the back seat of an 8 is very comfortable and provides a surprisingly good view. However, you can't make eye contact with your passenger unless you have a mirror. You can't hold her hand, and she can't hold your pee bottle for you:eek:

Is there a reason you excluded the 6 or 7? The social aspects of it trump the center line seating for me. Performance is on par with other models similarly equipped. Control feel from either side is the same if your copilot likes to take the controls. Rudder pedals are the same geometry, not like the 4 and 8. You can also move your legs and feet around a lot more than having them inside of a well.
Just pointing out my observations and experiences. They are all fine products.

The link is working now. My 2 cents on the 4 vs 8. Find a ride in a 6 or 7. If your wife is a pilot, with or without a medical, she would probably be far happier helping you navigate and push buttons by your side. Many people say their wives get tired of riding in the back.

The next question is how often will she actually be flying with you? If the answer is not that often, then a 4 would be my choice. I am sure you will be happy with whatever you choose and you can always build a second.

Thanks.. Still cant open that link though. The wife is not interested in flying, only in not driving 6-8 hours for something we can do in a 1-2 hour flight. She does not want to be a "copilot" its pilot or nothing in her mind.
Q

Thanks.. Still cant open that link though. The wife is not interested in flying, only in not driving 6-8 hours for something we can do in a 1-2 hour flight. She does not want to be a "copilot" its pilot or nothing in her mind.
Q

Based on watching the RV community for quite a few years now, I'd say that if that's the case, and you can afford to just buy a -4, go get one....a multi-year build of something that is solely for you could very well put you into the warning zone on the relationship meter and if you're going to be solo most of the time, the -4 can be a lot of fun. Or heck, if you're really going to be solo, think about a nice -3. Flying the -3 is the most fun I've ever had in an arplane....

Paul

Last edited:
Back