What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine 101

RVnoob

Well Known Member
Lycoming O-320 Engine Cutaway

a very educational photo album
http://www.legendofaces.com/Aviation/Engine Cut Away/CutawayProjectpage.htm

(The Lycoming O-320 Engine Cutaway Project)
"(here)...are pictures of the Lycoming O-320 Engine Cutaway model we had the privilege of building for Western Michigan University's College Of Aviation to be used as a teaching aid for students to learn the internal workings of an aircraft engine. When finished you could turn the engine over and see everything move."

15.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Work

Some very interesting pictures. I have already learned something from them. I didn't know that there were only 6 cam lobes. I assumed there were 8.

Terry

Some very interesting pictures. I have already learned something from them. I didn't know that there were only 6 cam lobes. I assumed there were 8.

Terry

interesting catch- it looks like the middle cam shares two pushrods. I wonder if that one would show wear quicker than the outer pairs?

Lycoming Training Videos

Lycoming offers videos providing information and instructions to help you properly care for and lubricate your factory new, rebuilt, or overhauled Lycoming engine. You may view or download the following:

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/training/videos.html

topics:

Introduction
Installation
Instrumentation
Make your Mark at 180?
Baffles & Seals
Oil Coolers, Hoses, and Lines
Start-Up & Break-in
Lycoming Publications & Procedures
The Test Run
Using the Correct Oil
Oil Consumption
Maintenance & Normal Operations
The Seven Major Functions of Oil
Air-Oil Separators
Oil Specs
The Importance of Oil Changes
Leaning & Temperature Management

These are very good videos. I received them on DVD with my new engine. Highly recommended.

Bart at Aerosport pointed out to me that at least the 2 multi-purpose cam lobes open intake valves, so they don't have to work against combustion pressure.

Worn cam lobes are why an engine can have a good leak-down test and still be anemic on power.

Larry

Back