What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preview Plans Ordered

helodriver

I probably won't start building for quite a while, but I am still excited about getting the preview plans.

Terry

They can be fun to read through. Just don't let them overwhelm you. They can be pretty intimidating at first, but when you start holding the metal in hand then...well, it can still be intimidating! Just take it one step at a time and it seems to finally start making sense.

Good move Terry

Most likely you will receive them in a couple of weeks. As soon as you are familiar with the preview plans order your tail kit and tools. Order Vans to ship it to your home location. The tail will be waiting for you and it will be the biggest motivation.

I have one more move left (Army) before I retire, that is why I need to wait to start building. My son will be a Senior next year, and I don't think my wife would understand if I stayed in the garage constantly after being gone so long.

Thanks for the encouragement. It won't be long.

I had my preview plans in hand for several years before ordering the tail kit. Financial reasons, family stuff going on, and remodeling a home kept me from starting for a long time, but I wanted to keep the dream alive. I got my shop ready and started accumulating tools long before starting. That made it real for me, too.

Like others have said, don't let the preview plans overwhelm you. It's not as hard as it looks.

Same boat

I ordered the preview plans last July. Still enjoy reading them and planning my build. I have a couple years before the build will commence. Kids are to young right now, work is to busy, basement is unfinished, wife is not ready. Its common sense but as many builders have told me, you have to have the wife on board or risk contracting AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome). My AOPA Pilot Mentor and builder of 2 RV's, Tom Berge, told me that you should only peruse the plans. Don't read to far into them and try to comprehend everything now otherwise it could be overwhelming. The risk is you may not start the project. I thought that was good advice. Have fun! By the way, congrats on your upcoming retirement.

Last edited:
Family Labor

For you current/previous builders out there: To prevent AIDS (of the aviation flavor) how did you get your wives involved? Did you have her deburring aluminimum from the start? Helping buck rivets? Build a wing for you?

How long did it take for her to go from "I am helping you because this is your dream" to either "I like metal working" or "It is either me or alumininum mistress-you choose!"

How old were your kids when you could get them to start helping?

Getting started

So I am stuck over here for a few more weeks, and my wife is at home reading the plans that came a few days ago. She was rubbing it in and telling me how interesting it is. She has no idea what she is in for! So I have a big garage and my first project when I come home is to clean it out. I had only been in the house a couple of months when I had to come over here. I am going to start buying the tools as soon as I get home, followed by the 2 starter kits that Van's has. (The toolbox RV training kit) While I was over here I found out that I will likely be moved again in less than 2 years and really don't want to move a partially assembled plane. I plan to leave most of the plane bare (polished) and want as few dings as possible. My friends here say to at least start the tail, as that should not be to hard to move. Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Some wives enjoy it....

For you current/previous builders out there: To prevent AIDS (of the aviation flavor) how did you get your wives involved? Did you have her deburring aluminimum from the start? Helping buck rivets? Build a wing for you?

How long did it take for her to go from "I am helping you because this is your dream" to either "I like metal working" or "It is either me or alumininum mistress-you choose!"

and some don't.....my ex didn't.

This is a rather difficult question to answer, Tim. In retrospect, sit down and have a long heart to heart talk with her and find out exactly how she feels about it. Find out if she's happy just seeing you happy (like my current wife) or if she's enthusiastic about getting her hands dirty alongside you.
My wife's too busy running her business to help build but she comes by occasionally to see the project here in my hangar.

You'd be surprised at how young kids will love to help. "Bring me the drills" or the "Philips-head screwdriver" an education for them about tools and the associated jargon. I've seen kids insert and then buck rivets, remove/install clecos when they're strong enough. Just being around "Daddy" is quality time and you'll have many, many memories.

"Balance" is key in life...balance time with your wife and airplane project, balance your exercise time...balance...easy to say, harder to do right.

Regards,

Preview plans

I bought and read my set cover to cover. My wife is ready. I have a place to build. I even put a deposit on a waiting list for a hanger (2-3 years). 1 year 10 months away from buying the tail and tools. Money is just not there right now. Retirement means we can sell one house and move to the vacation home where I have space to build and a hangar nearby. Retirement here I come. I probably will have to work part time, but at least my airplane will be started. I can't wait.

I am in a fortunate situation in that my wife is a wannabe propeller head. She wants to learn to fly. She loves the thought of building an airplane. She has done everything that I have done. No exceptions. She has formed metal, measured, drilled, deburred, dimpled, primed, shot, bucked...you get the idea!

But my case is unique.

Our plane is just as much her dream as it is mine.

i bought my wife a "rosie the riveter" t-shirt and explained that she was going to learn what it was all about. ordered my emp today, so i'm pretty excited to get it started. i guess i'll have to learn about web page design now.....
joe

Back